British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Who is Indigineous ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/who-indigineous-756116/)

BEVS Apr 25th 2012 6:35 am

Who is Indigineous ?

I was actually looking for something entirely different or maybe the same in a way . Who knows. This is me after all. In any case I was idling around with thoughts about the amalgamation here in Tasman and Nelson councils referendum , whilst the tea burnt & up popped this.

This ARTICLE

Given that my Mum was Irish Catholic ( no hint of English) & my Dad an absolutely London English urchin , whose line went back to the West Country, I found it interesting.

hazeandsteve Apr 25th 2012 7:10 am

Re: Who is Indigineous ?

It didn't rock many boats when it was published two years ago, why try now?

BEVS Apr 25th 2012 7:23 am

Pardon me for being slow. I just found it a few hours ago and simply found it a very interesting article par sec

Obviously it is old news to you, of no interest or you have no point of reference to the subject matter, unlike myself . In any case, up to you of course.

crumpy10 Apr 25th 2012 10:51 am

I liked it, found it very interesting. Cheers Bevs!

Anna:D

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 25th 2012 11:11 pm

I found it interesting too BEVS. I don't think it matters that it was published two years ago, it retains its relevance whilst Treaty matters continue to be fought over IMVHO.

I'm of the opinion that there are no indigenous people in NZ, we are all immigrants to this fine land.

I am of English ancestry on my Father's side & am a sixteenth Irish from my Mother's side. However, if I went to Ireland & started claiming that "I'm Irish" (as many Yanks do!) because of that sixteenth, I would expect to be laughed out of town (& rightly so).

I would love to have DNA analysis of where I actually do come from.

Now then, in the words of Mrs Merton, "Let's have a heated debate." :lol:

hazeandsteve Apr 26th 2012 8:34 am

No problem......

Do you regularly meet for Irish family gatherings?
Do your Irish ancestors openly welcome you to family gatherings?
Do your irish family even know you exist?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the maori were here a long time before the Europeans. In good old imperial style, we screwed them for as much as we could get off them.
Regardless of their canoe trip, if you can get a house after eleven years occupation, I think Maori have more claim to the title of indigenous than anyone else.

.....discuss.

Charismatic Apr 26th 2012 11:56 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 10026349)
Personally, I'm of the opinion that the maori were here a long time before the Europeans. In good old imperial style, we screwed them for as much as we could get off them.
Regardless of their canoe trip, if you can get a house after eleven years occupation, I think Maori have more claim to the title of indigenous than anyone else.

.....discuss.

My ancestors where pretty indigenous to Earth from way back in the old days. Just sayin' if being indigenous implies entitlement I'll be first in line.

If I have a case then ger'-off my planet and if not then being indigenous is a worthless PC accolade really. Which will it be?

hazeandsteve Apr 26th 2012 5:33 pm

Much as I like your thinking C, I'm afraid humans beings seem incapable of that. (So, by the way, are cats. Territorial scratches all over mine bear witness to this. )
We all want a bit of space, and usually first come first served is put on the back burner by the invader with a big stick.

Kija Apr 26th 2012 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 10027234)
Much as I like your thinking C, I'm afraid humans beings seem incapable of that. (So, by the way, are cats. Territorial scratches all over mine bear witness to this. )
We all want a bit of space, and usually first come first served is put on the back burner by the invader with a big stick.

True.

Charismatic Apr 27th 2012 6:48 am

Much as I like your thinking C, I'm afraid humans beings seem incapable of that.

Lumping all humans together for convenience? ;)

Look at some point your going to have to stop blaming the Normans for your problems, it's been over 900 years...let it go.

hazeandsteve Apr 27th 2012 10:51 am

Please, please, oh bloody please, please try explaining that to the jockanese who keep hittting up with the "remember Bannuckburn" thing.
Me, no I dont. As far as I know my family weren't even in UK when that happened....hence I'm grateful to NZ for letting me in!
Still, they probably are a bit more indigenous than me!

( A bit pissed by the way!)