Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who flys as part of their job?

Wikiposts

Who flys as part of their job?

Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who flys as part of their job?

Originally Posted by bubbles08
that and crashing! i hate turbulence.i feel out of control and clautrophobic!!
apart from that i am fine ha ha .
I don't mind turbulence and am about the same as everyone else is about the fear of crashing. But I do have a problem with the loss of control and the claustrophobia. I'm like you: I don't let it stop me, but it's a hard-won victory, especially on trans-Atlantic flights.

My brother and SIL love travelling on business. I don't get it. It means being away from your kids (I suppose a plus for some!) and tends to be wearying, with most of the time taken up with business and no time for any sightseeing.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Please can people only give me positive thoughts on flying as i am terrified!!!!!please please dont tell me anything bad as i am flying to uk and dont know how i will cope!!!
i have been hypnptised ,which did help. a little.i just tend to have a few wines but once i had a panic attack and went into shock and was shaking so bad that if i had not had medical attention then i was told later that my organs would have started to shut down!!
how is that for a bad flyer!!!

reading this thread gave me comfort in that people fly every day.
Well, take some earplugs, noise canceling headphones, one of those blackout blindfolds and a blow-up neck pillow. Put everything on 30 minutes after take off, and sleep the rest of the way.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Who flys as part of their job?

Please can people only give me positive thoughts on flying as i am terrified!!!!!please please dont tell me anything bad as i am flying to uk and dont know how i will cope!!!
i have been hypnptised ,which did help. a little.i just tend to have a few wines but once i had a panic attack and went into shock and was shaking so bad that if i had not had medical attention then i was told later that my organs would have started to shut down!!
how is that for a bad flyer!!!

reading this thread gave me comfort in that people fly every day.
"Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are about 1 in 11 million. On the other hand, your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000"

http://www.fearlessflight.com/flight...statistics.php

A good friend of mine in UK is now a CAA Engineer having previously worked in the military aviation field for years. He hates flying. On a 1.5hr flight to Germany he has to get well oiled just to get near the airplane LOL
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
There's always some little old lady dragging a huge "carry on" case behind her, which she insists on trying to put in the overhead bin by her self and then the case nearly kills someone while she's "waving" it around...
I was on a BA flight when someone asked an attendant for help to put the case in the overhead... the attendant said it was against policy for them to help and passengers should only bring carry ons they themslelves can lift.

In some ways, it made sense.

The attendant wasn't a complete rigid jerk, since he did in fact help after spouting the BA policy. Just said not to do it again.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Haha, both of these points really really bug me too! The other one that does (and its a direct result of this obsession with taking the f***ing piss with carry-on luggage) is the bum-rush when boarding busy flights. All these carry-on w*****rs just *have* to be at the front of the queue to board for their zone - reason being, if they are not, there is more of a chance of their carry-on luggage not fitting and, !shock-horror! having to be be checked. In fact, now I think about it, the whole zone-boarding idea is effin stupid - why not board rear first? (Oh - thats right - can't do that, coz the carry-on crew just have to sit near the front as possible too.....)
We've been traveling with an infant recently... straight to the front of the line

Heard a joke about AA the other day, in response to the fact that cutbacks their were handed out on a "last in, first out" basis which left only the most experienced hostesses...

The joke goes along the lines of "When the desk clerk says that the elderly and infirm are now allowed to board, that's when the crew get on".

Badaboom!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I don't mind turbulence and am about the same as everyone else is about the fear of crashing. But I do have a problem with the loss of control and the claustrophobia. I'm like you: I don't let it stop me, but it's a hard-won victory, especially on trans-Atlantic flights.

My brother and SIL love travelling on business. I don't get it. It means being away from your kids (I suppose a plus for some!) and tends to be wearying, with most of the time taken up with business and no time for any sightseeing.
it really pissed me off when parents travel up front in business and thier kids are in the back. what a bunch of selfish self centered jerks. i have great delight in putting them in the back with the kids if the kids keep coming up to the front. Were not babysitters for christ sake. and is the free cheap booze really worth the hassle. or the frozen six months ago dinner..
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Does it bother you when people further back on the plane insist on forcing their way up the aisle without allowing those before them to deplane? I found I had to be a bit aggressive to get into the aisle earlier this week because those further back weren't willing to wait. Let me know if I've lost you.
Trouble is you have those people who have connections to make and if they are flying to East Podunk or overseas, may not have too much choice about catching another flight if they get hung up by people up front who suddenly realize oooh, the plane has stopped, now lets see, where did I put my handbag, where's my glasses, where's my book etc. I AM sympathetic with those traveling with children or someone who is handicapped etc, but not with somebody whose head is in la la land.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

my sister apparently flew into Boston a few times but never mentioned it..can tell we're close

anyway, still in initial talks with a place in canada, but I'm not sure they'd stump for the commuter flight as it'll be 10 hours and $450 to connect over there, as quick to drive
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Trouble is you have those people who have connections to make and if they are flying to East Podunk or overseas, may not have too much choice about catching another flight if they get hung up by people up front who suddenly realize oooh, the plane has stopped, now lets see, where did I put my handbag, where's my glasses, where's my book etc. I AM sympathetic with those traveling with children or someone who is handicapped etc, but not with somebody whose head is in la la land.
Agree and I have no problem with those making connections (though I might be too!). I sometimes wonder how many of those forcing their way through really have connections though.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
We've been traveling with an infant recently... straight to the front of the line
LOL, and rightly so, because that's about the only consolation of air-traveling with an infant!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Trouble is you have those people who have connections to make and if they are flying to East Podunk or overseas, may not have too much choice about catching another flight if they get hung up by people up front ....
reminds me of our all-too-recent crisis in JFK (I keep telling myself I'll never connect there again ...!). We flew SFO-JFK-Madrid. We landed in JFK EARLY (woo-hoo!) but sat on the tarmac for over an hour waiting for a gate, before the captain started giving us updates. Two hours passed, still no gate ... our Madrid flight time approached ... still no gate ... our Madrid flight time PASSED, still no gate ... . FINALLY, the plane was given a gate, but we were told connecting international flights would not have waited. They asked that those NOT making connections remain seated, but of course no one paid any attention (I probably wouldn't have either!) so I tried as best I could to maneuver through the crowded aisle, eventually making it off the plane. I ran like hell (and I mean, fast and hard!) through the terminal(s) to where the Madrid flight was, and it was in fact waiting. That was one helluva stressful start to a vacation! JFK - never again (he said, again...!).
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Best idea is to avoid flying in the NE area. All the NYC airports have long ground stop delays and that's in good weather!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Best idea is to avoid flying in the NE area. All the NYC airports have long ground stop delays and that's in good weather!
Trouble is, people I know are even more vocal about O'Hare (Chicago) and almost as vocal about Denver ... and Atlanta is not well liked either ... But gone are the days when you could fly direct from SFO to Milan and Madrid. I guess I need to look at the Paris/Frankfurt/Munich options ...
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:43 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Trouble is, people I know are even more vocal about O'Hare (Chicago) and almost as vocal about Denver ... and Atlanta is not well liked either ... But gone are the days when you could fly direct from SFO to Milan and Madrid. I guess I need to look at the Paris/Frankfurt/Munich options ...
CDG and FRA yuck. Never been through MUC.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Can't say I've ever had a problem at Newark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.