Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who does not understand the negatives of NZ??

Who does not understand the negatives of NZ??

Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who does not understand the negatives of NZ??

I just read on another forum about some guys who are leaving NZ for very valid reasons. I was surprised though that these posters commented on how they wish that people would mention the negatives of NZ. Are people really going to believe that there are no neagtives about coming here? They have been mentioned many, many times by me anyway..just trying to paint a realistic picture of life here and all the problems that prevail in our little country. I am very happy here warts and all but one has to be aware of the isolation, the backwards nature of life here, the shocking drug and alcohol abuse, the domestic violence and general violence, the terrible driving, poor housing build in way too many cases, poorly insulated and damp homes abound, poor wages in relation to property prices..etc, etc..YET I heard on the news today that Alliance and Leicester voted NZ one of the best places to live taking all into consideration.

You pays your money you takes your choice aye? We love NZ but many hate it and do the off to Oz.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who does not understand the negatives of NZ??

Originally Posted by Genesis
You pays your money you takes your choice aye? We love NZ but many hate it and do the off to Oz.
Time to hold my hand up... I'm off

I did research NZ extensively, even took the chance of arriving on a visitors visa and then gaining our PR 6 months later. We didn't do a recce as what you see on holiday or in the few short weeks you're here doesn't show you how life is here on a day-to-day basis. I knew all about the 'sheds', the 'gang culture', the 'crap wages' and could deal with that... what I can't deal with is the fact that NZ does not have a life or a soul. Yes life is what you make of it and lord how I've tried but I just can't see myself here long-term and won't be here long-term. I have seen a couple of people come out here and slap their life savings in a house/boat/whatever and now they can't afford to go on holiday etc. - that is one of my worst nightmares... being trapped here. It's like NZ has this bubble around it and when you get in, it's sucks all of your money, your 'sparkle' and leaves you having to 'mend and make do' or utter the mantra 'she'll be right mate' - I don't live like that and shouldn't have to.

Saying that, I love New Zealand and all the opportunities it has given me - I would never have thought to go to Uni in the UK, but it's not for me I came, took my chance, conquered that and now it's opened up my eyes to the bigger picture. I have had a fantastic adventure here and hope to do all I can in this beautiful country before I leave. I can hold my hands up and say that I have emigrated and walked away from it - I don't care who says what about me, I'm above all that... not many will hold their hands up and say they were wrong - we gave it our best and it just wasn't enough for us
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I do admire those who have settled here and made New Zealand their final resting place - you have made a great choice New Zealand truly is a beautiful country
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

I did research NZ extensively, even took the chance of arriving on a visitors visa and then gaining our PR 6 months later. We didn't do a recce as what you see on holiday or in the few short weeks you're here doesn't show you how life is here on a day-to-day basis. I knew all about the 'sheds', the 'gang culture', the 'crap wages' and could deal with that... what I can't deal with is the fact that NZ does not have a life or a soul. Yes life is what you make of it and lord how I've tried but I just can't see myself here long-term and won't be here long-term. I have seen a couple of people come out here and slap their life savings in a house/boat/whatever and now they can't afford to go on holiday etc. - that is one of my worst nightmares... being trapped here. It's like NZ has this bubble around it and when you get in, it's sucks all of your money, your 'sparkle' and leaves you having to 'mend and make do' or utter the mantra 'she'll be right mate' - I don't live like that and shouldn't have to.

Saying that, I love New Zealand and all the opportunities it has given me - I would never have thought to go to Uni in the UK, but it's not for me I came, took my chance, conquered that and now it's opened up my eyes to the bigger picture. I have had a fantastic adventure here and hope to do all I can in this beautiful country before I leave. I can hold my hands up and say that I have emigrated and walked away from it - I don't care who says what about me, I'm above all that... not many will hold their hands up and say they were wrong - we gave it our best and it just wasn't enough for us

That quote above is very interesting to me, having lived considerable lengths of time in both countries I find that fascinating, I guess it must have something to do with where we spent our formative years, I had 25 near years in UK, as an adult and found I was being 'sucked dry' everywhere I turned.......strange how things turn out.....I am one of those weird species that is much better off in this country but I can't put my finger on what it is........
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Well said..NZ does not float every body's boat. I guess you are MUCH younger than me and at nigh on 50 (been here since april 2005) NZ suits us and our 3 very young kids down to the ground. I think I am right in saying you aspire to Oz....many do aye? Been there for a few months and utterly love the place..think its way more exciting than Nz (although I adore NZ madly) BUT I cannot stand the heat long term..need 4 seasons ( I guess one day Tassy may be an option) and Kate will not entertain then spiders and snakes.

each to our own aye? Suffice to say NZ is everything we ever wished for and we are all as happy as pigs in clover..even with all the negatives and our MORE than fair share of shite and aggro in the past 3.5 years. Life is a huge compromise innit at the end of the day?? Be lucky!!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

strange how things turn out.....I am one of those weird species that is much better off in this country but I can't put my finger on what it is........[/QUOTE]

Me too!!! One of those too who is stacks better off in NZ than we were in the UK even with all the fiscal woes of a varying nature we have endured!!!

Maybe its my age and having a bit more UK equity under my belt..that alas is now floating somewhere in the fiscal ether..that said we are still waaaaaaaaay better off here and live a life style we would need to be very rich to emulate in the UK.

NZ rocks..very quietly aye??
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm nearing 30 and have 3 kids too - 11, 4 and 2 yrs old and yes we're off to Oz in a couple of years once I've completed my degree. The eldest wants to go to Oz, he has lots of friends but is 'bored' all the time.. he has started spending more time on the Xbox and we live next to the beach and a skatepark!!

I'll never speak (too) ill of New Zealand, it has given me more than happy times and opportunities and I will be back to visit but for me, that's all I see it as - a holiday destination

Life sure has thrown it's bucket at you and you have come up so optimistic, I bow down to your iron will to not let it get you down. I hope you carry on enjoying all NZ has to give for many years to come (And I hope you do get your money back x)
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by janek
I am one of those weird species that is much better off in this country but I can't put my finger on what it is........
We too are one of those 'weird' ones We earn more here than we did in the UK but sadly, money isn't everything. We pay out a hell of a lot more than we did in the UK too. Rent is much more expensive than our mortgage in the UK was and food too, I could feed a family of 5 on 50 quid a week, here I can easily spend that in a 'basic' shop!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm nearing 30 and have 3 kids too - 11, 4 and 2 yrs old and yes we're off to Oz in a couple of years once I've completed my degree. The eldest wants to go to Oz, he has lots of friends but is 'bored' all the time.. he has started spending more time on the Xbox and we live next to the beach and a skatepark!!

I'll never speak (too) ill of New Zealand, it has given me more than happy times and opportunities and I will be back to visit but for me, that's all I see it as - a holiday destination

Life sure has thrown it's bucket at you and you have come up so optimistic, I bow down to your iron will to not let it get you down. I hope you carry on enjoying all NZ has to give for many years to come (And I hope you do get your money back x)

Thank you..best of Britsh aye!!! Not sure if NZ would rock my boat long term if I was only 30!!!!!

Warm regards, Dom Kate et al XXX
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

I just read on another forum about some guys who are leaving NZ for very valid reasons. I was surprised though that these posters commented on how they wish that people would mention the negatives of NZ. Are people really going to believe that there are no neagtives about coming here? They have been mentioned many, many times by me anyway..just trying to paint a realistic picture of life here and all the problems that prevail in our little country. I am very happy here warts and all but one has to be aware of the isolation, the backwards nature of life here, the shocking drug and alcohol abuse, the domestic violence and general violence, the terrible driving, poor housing build in way too many cases, poorly insulated and damp homes abound, poor wages in relation to property prices..etc, etc..YET I heard on the news today that Alliance and Leicester voted NZ one of the best places to live taking all into consideration.

Im with you on this.

If I could get out I would I think.

I dunno, if I was single I guess I could probably find plenty to do and have a good time on a fairly shallow plane.

But coming from English heartland within one and a half hours from London, it is just too much of a cultural desert out here for me.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I could feed a family of 5 on 50 quid a week, here I can easily spend that in a 'basic' shop![/QUOTE]

can i ask where you shopped in the uk so i can go there . i spend over 100 atleast on a shop for 3 of us a week , hell if i go to spar for bread i spend around 20 quid on nothing lol

caz
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I am a bargain hunter and shopped at multiple places. I bought my fruit & veg, meat etc. from Aldi/Lidl or from markets, bought BOGOF offers a Asda/Tesco and frequented pound shops or discount shops for branded foods and the like.

Gosh I miss those shops... could get 4 tins Heinz spaghetti/beans for a quid!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
hell if i go to spar for bread i spend around 20 quid on nothing lol

caz
that's where you're going wrong... go in with the exact money for the bread that's what I do cause I used to buy on impulse!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Thank you..best of Britsh aye!!! Not sure if NZ would rock my boat long term if I was only 30!!!!!

Warm regards, Dom Kate et al XXX
ah this is yes this is what it is all about, now I have my finger upon it, I'm not a spring chicken any longer, you are on the case there Genesis..... 50 next year for me, I've still got plenty of ' kick' mind, but this is not where I would like to be at 30 either.
I emigrated from London to the Penal Colony when I was 30 and it was a nightmare, lasted 12 months, to cut boring long story short had to re-pack and head back to London, 19 years ago now since I did that, jeepers I still can't believe what I did.....no internet forums to help me through the difficulties of living in such a back-water, Sydney I thought the arse end of the earth, and I seemed to blame everything on everyone around me, those bloody Australians etc. Of course I've known for quite a while now there's nothing wrong with the Australians, but there was plenty wrong with me and the attitude that I carried around in my head!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course I've known for quite a while now there's nothing wrong with the Australians, but there was plenty wrong with me and the attitude that I carried around in my head![/QUOTE]

Yes what crap is within our minds is to blame for much angst in the world aye??? Sometimes I think it would be bloody marvelous to be 'mindless' aye??

I was very much up my arse when younger..goes with the territory..whilst faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from any notion of perfection I hope I have climbed down said area these days and there's almost a glimpse of light these days. The wonders of self evaluation and the understanding of one's development areas??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.