British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Who did you travel with? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/who-did-you-travel-571132/)

NermaltheCute Nov 4th 2008 2:02 pm

Who did you travel with?

Hi there, I'm looking to book flights for mid February 2009 and want to stop over for maybe just a day somewhere (not USA). Any recommendations for who to book with? Last time I came over it was booked through Travelbag.

Any ideas welcome :)

Margaret Parkinson Nov 4th 2008 4:26 pm

Re: Who did you travel with?

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute (Post 6939296)
Hi there, I'm looking to book flights for mid February 2009 and want to stop over for maybe just a day somewhere (not USA). Any recommendations for who to book with? Last time I came over it was booked through Travelbag.

We fly Singapore Airlines. You can have a transit stopover of around 14 hours where you can book into the Ambassador Transit Hotel for about 6 hours so that you can put your heads down for a while plus shower etc. There are 3 free tours into Singapore:-

We booked with Travel Counsellors they are based in Bolton. I will send you a private message with details. I found the price on the Singapore website and she matched it.

lindsay loo Nov 4th 2008 4:54 pm

Hi

We went with Air New Zealand via Los Angeles which was a nightmare. LA airport is crazy, they treat you like criminals and shout at you!! bit much when you're feeling knackered. I've heard that Emirates is a lot less stressful and less likely to have bad turbulence because of the route that you go. On our way back via LA we had such bad turbulence, loads of people were sick (including me!!) Not nice! It lasted for 2 hours yeeuuck.

Best wishes, Lindsay

squiddley Nov 4th 2008 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute (Post 6939296)

I flew with virgin and Air New Zealand via Shanghai...No probs,booked direct with the airline,on the return leg came back via San Francisco,again no probs....;)

chippy64 Nov 4th 2008 5:54 pm

Would def agree with lindsay loo about LA! We had a nightmare, including having my 2 boys (14 and 16) marched off to a room with no explanation and not permitted to go with them!
However, we found Air NZ fine and they have just about the best leg room. We came back via Hong Kong - much better, you can wander around the airport and shops.
We booked online direct with Air NZ and couldn't get any cheaper. Have heard Emirates and Singapore Airlines are good.

P2L Nov 4th 2008 6:00 pm

Between us, we have flown with Singapore, Air New Zealand via HK and Malaysia via Kuala Lumpar.

I would say that we all (Kids included) loved KL the best and Malaysia Airlines couldn't do too much for us.

Although Singapore was great, I felt the peole in Singapore, weren't as 'genuine' as those we met in KL, including on the flights.

nukiwi Nov 4th 2008 6:19 pm

We flew with Emirates and they were excellent, could not fault them at all. They go via Dubai and either Bangkok or Singapore then a final brief stop in either Melbourne or Sydney before arriving in Auckland. The food and service are excellent, in fact they seem to be feeding you all the time. Oh and the duty free in Dubai is awesome :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Margaret Parkinson Nov 4th 2008 8:01 pm

The other good reason for flying Singapore Airlines there is only 1 stop. Most of the others have either 2 or 3. It all depends on what you are prepared to put up with. You would be flying from Manchester I presume so in some cases you would be coming down in Heathrow. I have heard many praise Eremites & Air New Zealand but as I said we prefer just the one stop.

Wooly_Cow Nov 4th 2008 8:13 pm

I flew Air NZ via LA and had no problems. The stop over in LA was a little boring 'cause there was no access to Duty Free but you did get free food and drinks and got to watch the Olympics. After all the horror stories I was expecting a full 'rubber gloved' body search but the Border officials were fine if a little grumpy.

I'm going back to the UK via LA in Dec. and returning the same way in Jan. After making these comments I fully expect to have the journey from hell!

Moomoo Nov 4th 2008 8:22 pm

Hi

We have just flown over (2 weeks ago) with Singapore Airlines and really enjoyed the flight/service. We stopped in Singapore for 18 hours, and booked a hotel, so we got the chance to explore a bit, and freshen up/sleep a while before flying off the next morning. It was great to feel the warmth too! As we were in transit for less than 24 hours, our luggage went straight through from Heathrow to New Zealand, which was great, as we only had to take hand luggage with us in Singapore (and a hand luggage bag can be large enough for changes of clothes, etc).

Moomoo :)

j19fmm Nov 4th 2008 8:49 pm

Hi have flown with Malaysian,Air NZ and United Airlines and Korean Air twice. The last time was with Korean,got back this saturday. Hated United they were rude and unhelpful, malaysian were great,Air NZ were good and went via Hong Kong, nice place to wander round. Korean was ok first time but this last one ruined it for me. Planes old and a mix of jumbo and smaller ones. But worst of all we had a stopover in Seoul, hotel nice but an hour from airport. Bags checked through from Auckland to Heathrow.When we finally got home and opened bags found they had been interferred with, clothes all over place, documents rifled, presents opened, sweets opened and taken- my Perky Nanas at that!-, all horrible. The Airline aren't interested at all not even an apology, they said we should have opened our bags in front of an airline official if we wanted to be believed. Charming.I live for the day I can afford Business Class on Air NZ :rofl:

Margaret Parkinson Nov 4th 2008 9:31 pm

When I win the lottery this is the way I am going to travel:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoJzd...eature=related

Kimi-Deacon Nov 5th 2008 2:14 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 6940190)
Between us, we have flown with Singapore, Air New Zealand via HK and Malaysia via Kuala Lumpar.

I would say that we all (Kids included) loved KL the best and Malaysia Airlines couldn't do too much for us.

Although Singapore was great, I felt the peole in Singapore, weren't as 'genuine' as those we met in KL, including on the flights.

Have got to agree with KevandSarah. KL is the better stopover, have done Bangkok, LAX and Singapore. Malaysian Airlines were fantastic and on the leg from KL to Auckland we had a full row of seats to ourselves so we could lay down and sleep. Have since found out this regularly happens if you fly mid week.

Mandarin Oriental hotel 5 star hotel 3 star prices is fabulous, staff cant do enough to help you, check in is in your room, if you book airport pickup with them. KL itself is clean, people very friendly, sights are awesome, especially the Petronas Towers at night.