Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

who can help my sister

who can help my sister

Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:01 am
Just Joined

beccyb1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default who can help my sister

My sister moved to nz wjth her partner on a temp working visa 6 months ago.Unfortunately the relationship has broken down and she is stuck with no money ,and no where to go and in an abusive relationship.The police and Aviva are trying to help but its very slow,as every weekend he likes to go out get drunk then come back and give her a good kicking.This has been going on for a number of months now,she has a 20 month old and a 3 week old.He isnt providing for them either ,the salvation army are.Please can some one tell me how to help her ,immigration are not very helpful as they are more bothered about upsetting interpol.She cannotleave because he is using the kids to keep her in nz,the fact that she has no money and nowhere to live and isnt eligible to benefits dont seem to come into it .How long do we wait for someone to help.When shes dead.or worse still he starts on the babies.Surely he is violating his visa to care and provide for all of them.She is still a uk citizen and only a temporary resident .If so then why cant she leave?She has been told she cant leave ,he wont sign the passport papers for thenew baby and when the emergencycare runs out in a few weeks ,she is on her own and as the solicitor put it ,up the creek without a paddle.How can immigration allow this and dont they check criminal records for temp visas,he has a record for this in the uk.Please can some one help.me to help her. I am in Aus and only a flight away,i could look after her if they could get here ,just till the legal sides get their acts together,We her family are worried sick and are sending money but how long do we have to wait .
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who can help my sister

So you say the police are trying to help? What are they doing to keep her safe? Has she contacted or been contacted by any Family Violence workers?
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us | Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley << an organisation I googled who acknowledge women in your sister's position are very vulnerable. You might be able to get in contact with them.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:42 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I realise various agencies i.e the Police, Salvation Army etc are involved but have you contacted Children Youth and Familes in your sister's local area ?

Has housing NZ been contacted regarding getting her somewhere else to live ?

Good luck in this worrying time.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:49 am
Just Joined

She is in christchurch ,a group there are trying to help they are called Aviva but there help is
limited to only a few weeks .Its difficult as she has very little money toputcredit on her phone to call anyone .I have had to ring the police myself from here in Brisbane ,they did at least send a car round and rescue her but she has had no option but to go back ,not being a permanant resident she is entitled to no help at all.All she wants to do is go home to people who love her.I amworried sick,i will ring anyone but its the visa people who need to get their finger out ,they gave them the visa in the 1st place.How do they expect you to live ,these things happen ,relationships break down ,is there nothing in place to repatriate people back home,you cannot use babies as a tool for revenge .If had cared for them in the 1st place she wouldnt be so desperate to leave .Its his place ,and surely his duty regarding his visa to care for and provide for the dependant people on that visa.You cant just tell someone as a so
icitor that you have no hope of help ,you arent eligible to anything ,and in the nextbreath tell them they arent free to leave either wtf.You arent a 3rd world country
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:02 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I understand you are upset and angry.

However, the focus needs to be your sister and her children. Have you contacted every agency possible ?

All the anti-domestic violence organisations ? Kind of leave no stone unturned.

If you haven't said already, what visa do they have ? When will it expire ? Has there been any legal intervention regarding getting him out of the house ?

BTW, has the new born been put on the visa ?
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Aviva have really been trying to help her but they cannot get much joy from immigration as interpoll apparently can override any decision they make regarding getting the new baby a passport and her leaving the country with 2 babies ,but interpol are not the ones who need feeding and somewhere to live .Its wicked that you can put someone in such danger and such poverty just because you are following the letter to a T what happened to common sense
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:09 am
Just Joined

She is on his visa just a 4 year temp visa for now although he has submitted for permanent. He has been out since April 2014 .She came out in March this year.I dont know about the baby ,would it make a difference,she still has the 20month old on the visa.I havent rang any other organisation.I can barely get to speaktomy sister as she keeps running out of credit and now the baby is sick soshe is almost at her wits end
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:15 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

None of the parties involved are NZ citizens? Has your sister spoken to the High Commision, it's them who can provide a passport for the baby.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:19 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

In the end of the day, is your sister willing to leave him? Is she willing to live somewhere else in NZ, even for a few weeks? I don't know what your situation is, but you should get yourself over, sounds like your sister needs you.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, is your sister still in the property with this man? If so, I would strongly advise her to leave or seek immediate help to get him out of the property! Has she sought legal advice in terms of domestic violence I.e enquires about whether she could take out a protection order and/or an occupation order on the house. It does not matter that she does not own the property. I am unsure what impact her visa status has on this application though.

Secondly, please contact the British High Commission in Wellington. You need to explain the situation. It cannot continue, she cannot remain in the house with two young children if she is being beaten up.
https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-high-commission-wellington

Thirdly, if it was my sister I would be on the first plane and putting her in a hotel/motel until the situation was resolved. She cannot remain there and her children should not be exposed to the level of violence you are inferring. If the Police will not do anything - go to the media and cause Mary Hell.

If you PM me her bank account details or her mobile number I would be happy to put money for credit on her phone!
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Thankyou Dannygirl but its not money as we her family are sending money,even her ex husband has ,She has a protection orderbut as a non permanant resident she is entitled to zilch ,no one can tell her how long this will go on its alreadybeen 6 weeks at least,and i did speak to the high commission who also canthelp .They cant speak to me now because of privacy reasons.Yes privacy ,she is my sister i know everything about her but she is notmy direct family.I am waiting for my passport as ijustbecame anAussie citizen and cannot re enter Oz without one,so lets hope they happen soon but in the meantime i just want to get her someone that will help its Friday night there now so his weekend begins and she will live in fear
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks dannigirl,its not money we are all sending her money its help,seious help to get her home i need.Its Friday night there now so his weekend begins and she will live in fear
Old Jul 17th 2015, 7:11 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I understand why she can't leave. If he's going out this evening, why can't she check in to a hotel for the weekend? If you foot the bill - I understand she might have financial difficulties at the moment. I understand that she may be unable to leave the country right now, but what's preventing her removing herself from immediate danger today? Or why can't she present herself at somewhere like Women's Refuge as in need of emergency accommodation?

https://www.womensrefuge.org.nz/

Apologies if I'm being over-simplistic. I realise that what sounds simple from the outside is often impossible when you're stuck in a situation.

Best wishes to your sister.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 7:46 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Shot in the dark - is there any way you can fly her out to Brisbane so that she can stay with you and go from there? At least then she'll be safe for now until the situation can be sorted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.