Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

who can help my sister

who can help my sister

Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:06 am
Just Joined

beccyb1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: who can help my sister

I wish i could fly her out ,but they wont issue a passport for the new baby as he wont sign the forms ,he wants to be able to stop her going home ,i will look after her ,pay the air fare and pay for them to go to England but the wont let her leave .The kids are just pawns in a nasty game of you will stay here.Yes she was stupid in going and believing his bull ,she lnows that she just wants to leave now .Yes she can also leave thehouse but to where and for how long.She tried 10 hotels last weekend and none where available altjough it was late in the day.Just after info on how togo aboutcontacting the right people to help her leave
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:12 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beccyb1
...............She has a protection orderbut as a non permanant resident she is entitled to zilch..........
Sorry, but this is BS. The police in NZ, do take domestic violence seriously, they do not care if you have PR or not.

So, she has a protection order, but still lives with the guy? That's what it sounds like, which does not make sense.

And instead of you jumping on a plane to help, because you don't have a passport? Seriously?

If this is a serious situation, and you have been sending her money, than you sister needs to move out. But there seems to excuses, rather than action.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:16 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I wish i could fly her out ,but they wont issue a passport for the new baby as he wont sign the forms ,he wants to be able to stop her going home ,i will look after her ,pay the air fare and pay for them to go to England but the wont let her leave .The kids are just pawns in a nasty game of you will stay here.Yes she was stupid in going and believing his bull ,she lnows that she just wants to leave now .Yes she can also leave thehouse but to where and for how long.She tried 10 hotels last weekend and none where available altjough it was late in the day.Just after info on how togo aboutcontacting the right people to help her leave
Ah yes, fair enough. Next port of call - can you get over to NZ to help her?
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Hey Catchafire if you dont have anything useful to say then sometimes you shouldnt say anything and this is 1 of them ,Think about it 1 tiny baby and another very small child no transport and not much money where would you go ,? No BS .You obviously havent a clue ,i am after help not ignorance! ,
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:29 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

please bear in mind we only have small snippets of information and advising on what we perceive as being said, difficult in text form.

please stay polite and as helpful as possible to each other
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:30 am
Just Joined

TAs soon as i get my new passport i will be over .Wasj just hoping i could get the right info before i got there and hopefully some contact numbers
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:47 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Catchafire if you dont have anything useful to say then sometimes you shouldnt say anything and this is 1 of them ,Think about it 1 tiny baby and another very small child no transport and not much money where would you go ,? No BS .You obviously havent a clue ,i am after help not ignorance! ,
Really, so you jump on to a Internet forum for advice? Then take umbridge when someone starts, you know checking facts.... Just saying what you are telling is does not make sense. Sorry, but you are providing the details and I am calling you out on them. If you do not like it, dont post here, sort you family out.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

My sister moved to nz wjth her partner on a temp working visa 6 months ago.Unfortunately the relationship has broken down and she is stuck with no money ,and no where to go and in an abusive relationship.The police and Aviva are trying to help but its very slow,as every weekend he likes to go out get drunk then come back and give her a good kicking.This has been going on for a number of months now,she has a 20 month old and a 3 week old.He isnt providing for them either ,the salvation army are.Please can some one tell me how to help her ,immigration are not very helpful as they are more bothered about upsetting interpol.She cannotleave because he is using the kids to keep her in nz,the fact that she has no money and nowhere to live and isnt eligible to benefits dont seem to come into it .How long do we wait for someone to help.When shes dead.or worse still he starts on the babies.Surely he is violating his visa to care and provide for all of them.She is still a uk citizen and only a temporary resident .If so then why cant she leave?She has been told she cant leave ,he wont sign the passport papers for thenew baby and when the emergencycare runs out in a few weeks ,she is on her own and as the solicitor put it ,up the creek without a paddle.How can immigration allow this and dont they check criminal records for temp visas,he has a record for this in the uk.Please can some one help.me to help her. I am in Aus and only a flight away,i could look after her if they could get here ,just till the legal sides get their acts together,We her family are worried sick and are sending money but how long do we have to wait .
If I say she can come to stay with us for a period of time, can I be confident he won't come up and beat the living daylights out of my family?

As for the forms thing is he a nz citizen/resident?

And I thought this sort of thing never happened in paradise.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
If I say she can come to stay with us for a period of time, can I be confident he won't come up and beat the living daylights out of my family?

As for the forms thing is he a nz citizen/resident?

And I thought this sort of thing never happened in paradise.
Following on, there's a couple of gents on here that do charity work in Christchurch. I wonder if they can be of any help to you.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:56 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

can I please just say, no disrespect beccyb1, people this is the internet try and stick to giving advice that is going to help legally whilst not putting yourself in any danger. there must be some official body that can help which, I believe, is all beccyb1 asking for.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:27 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
Please tell me you're joking? As much as it's nice to help I really would not get involved and that goes for everyone here. No way is it worth putting your family at risk for someone you don't know on an Internet forum. Advice yes. Inviting a random stranger into your home with an abusive boyfriend who lives close-by? No.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

What a horrible situation.

I think you'll find this comes under family law, not immigration, which might be why you are finding hard to get answers/help.

I found this:
Victims of domestic violence — Family Justice

There are numbers you/she can call for help.

Has he been charged?

IMO, She'll need to request an urgent parenting (custody?) order (link on the page ^^), and a judge's permission to remove the children from NZ. This will enable her to get the baby's passport.

Would she be eligible for Legal Aid? I think there's a link about that too. If not, Google for "free legal help domestic violence [her area]", or similar search string.

I hope this is of some help.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:26 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Please tell me you're joking? As much as it's nice to help I really would not get involved and that goes for everyone here. No way is it worth putting your family at risk for someone you don't know on an Internet forum. Advice yes. Inviting a random stranger into your home with an abusive boyfriend who lives close-by? No.
Really?? I would be the first person to offer if our upstairs flat was free.
I live over hour away from chch
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

TAs soon as i get my new passport i will be over .Wasj just hoping i could get the right info before i got there and hopefully some contact numbers
You CAN travel without the Aus passport if you need to. Take your citizenship certificate and your Uk paasport and original visa evidence. Aus immigration will whinge when you come back but stand your ground and state that there was a family emergency and you had to leave before the passport came through. With the evidence of what is happening you will be fine, it will just mean a delay at check in and Immigration on the way back.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you are able to send her money then she can get a taxi to take her somewhere -anywhere away from him - and book into a hotel.
Then at least she can take a deep breath, regroup, and go talk to the police and hopefully track down local support groups.
I would also be concerned about the choice of solicitor-if "up the creek without a paddle" is the best legal advice they can give, get a new solicitor fast.

And beccy please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to take one step back, breathe deeply and organise your thoughts, and the info you have been given. I know its hard to be calm at a time like this, but that is how you can help the most, by being the calm person offering the advice. That in turn will calm your sister down and help her to think straight.
Breathe

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 17th 2015 at 11:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.