Who came back????

Old May 13th 2007, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

hlbfolks will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Who came back????

Hi, we are considering a move to NZ and have done a lot of research and gone to expos and the like. Everyone says how great NZ is, that it's less stressful than the UK, etc etc, which is all well and good. But there people out there who have gone over to NZ and for whatever reason have then come back to the UK. Why are you coming back? What was it about NZ that you didn't like? Please tell me! It can't be all wine and roses over there, otherwise why are more people leaving NZ than actually emigrating out there (according to official NZ govt. stats.) Talk to me, please!!!!
Old May 13th 2007, 3:09 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Who came back????

Some come here with expectations that are not meant and then go home or bugger off somewhere else. Fair enough.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:23 pm
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

I worked with a lot of kiwi's in London, and they all left for the same reason - to earn more money. BUT they all had the intention of returning to NZ in due course and using their wads to buy land, raise a family etc. So that may explain why more people seem to be leaving - unless you're referring to a specific stat that shows immigrants aren't sticking it out for long.

I guess those who do change their minds will have different reasons, but the main one has to be missing family, friends and the support net-work you have at home.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:37 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hlbfolks
Hi, we are considering a move to NZ and have done a lot of research and gone to expos and the like. Everyone says how great NZ is, that it's less stressful than the UK, etc etc, which is all well and good. But there people out there who have gone over to NZ and for whatever reason have then come back to the UK. Why are you coming back? What was it about NZ that you didn't like? Please tell me! It can't be all wine and roses over there, otherwise why are more people leaving NZ than actually emigrating out there (according to official NZ govt. stats.) Talk to me, please!!!!
Try reading the 'returning to the UK' forum as that's where a lot of returnees post.
Although I am not a returnee and think it is unlikely that I will be, I have spoken to several Brits who find the homesickness to be really upsetting and debiliating. I guess that may be a major factor for some people.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hlbfolks
Hi,
homesickness, lack of money, not fitting in, too high expectations, houses are different...most we have seen were built and decorated in the '70's, grass is always greener somewhere else...

No I'm not going back and at present have no intention of going back but it's very easy when something annoys you to blame the whole country and say that's it i am off back to the UK.

Have realistic expectations if you have to work to live in the UK the chances are you will have to over here as well, look at the positives NZ has, beautiful beaches, wonderful scenery, a good all round way of life...
Old May 14th 2007, 5:40 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KiwiKate
I worked with a lot of kiwi's in London, and they all left for the same reason - to earn more money. BUT they all had the intention of returning to NZ in due course and using their wads to buy land, raise a family etc. So that may explain why more people seem to be leaving - unless you're referring to a specific stat that shows immigrants aren't sticking it out for long.

I guess those who do change their minds will have different reasons, but the main one has to be missing family, friends and the support net-work you have at home.
We came back because the combination of no/low paid jobs and high costs meant we couldn't afford to stay, even with in-law support.

Many of the Kiwis in London you speak of will try and return to NZ, and end up in Australia, because the massive difference between the economic life in London (where most UK Kiwis are) and NZ is too much to bear. I know several in this situation including ourselves! There are many on the BE Oz forum.

Buzzy