Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whitetail spider...

Whitetail spider...

Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:21 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whitetail spider...

According to my doctor I have been bitten on the ankle by one of those very nasty spiders. At least I didn't see the little blighter thankfully, cause I would have been totally freaked out by seeing that on my foot. Been signed off work for at least a week and need my dressings changed every two days. Spent this morning having local anesthetic injected into me and the dead flesh being picked away. Very painful and it looks just gross. Need to keep my foot elevated to keep my swollen ankle from getting any worse. Been nice to put my feet up though !!!

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/re...white_tail.asp
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whitetail spider...

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
According to my doctor I have been bitten on the ankle by one of those very nasty spiders. At least I didn't see the little blighter thankfully, cause I would have been totally freaked out by seeing that on my foot. Been signed off work for at least a week and need my dressings changed every two days. Spent this morning having local anesthetic injected into me and the dead flesh being picked away. Very painful and it looks just gross. Need to keep my foot elevated to keep my swollen ankle from getting any worse. Been nice to put my feet up though !!!

Bloody hell mate. Hope the spider was ok!! Get better soon bro.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, yuk a whitetail, fun n games. Least they're onto it to stop the flesh rot
You were sensible and went to the dr's. I got bitten last week by an unidentified spider whilst sleeping, just swelled up etc etc, really stupid but think I've become to Oz like that, I thought, if I feel weird (weirder than normal anyway) I'll go to the Dr's. Same night got a tick too!!! Had another y'day morning too - dont know where theyre all coming from.
Anyway...get better and get pampered xxxx
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:13 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

So was it a spider that done it or not - reading the article kind of begs the question?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeek! I thought they'd all gone dormant for the winter, I haven't killed one for while, best check the underware in the morning before getting dressed.

I know of a local family here who a few months ago had to have the house sprayed because they found a nest of them in the kids bedroom chest of drawers.

My son called me into his bedroon one day saying there was a big white tail spider on his trousers that were on the top of his cupboard, I thought he was joking, you know what kids are like about the even the small spiders, but he was right it was a huge white tail.

Take no chances, KILL EM ALL on site.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by planty
Eeeek! I thought they'd all gone dormant for the winter, I haven't killed one for while, best check the underware in the morning before getting dressed.

I know of a local family here who a few months ago had to have the house sprayed because they found a nest of them in the kids bedroom chest of drawers.

My son called me into his bedroon one day saying there was a big white tail spider on his trousers that were on the top of his cupboard, I thought he was joking, you know what kids are like about the even the small spiders, but he was right it was a huge white tail.

Agree. Bad luck my arse. Only for the spider.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planty

I havnt seen any for months now. But when I do they are always downstairs walking the corridor to my 3 year old sons room.... never see any upstairs

Sounds very very painful. You rest up and I hope you get better soon!!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
I havnt seen any for months now. But when I do they are always downstairs walking the corridor to my 3 year old sons room.... never see any upstairs

Sounds very very painful. You rest up and I hope you get better soon!!
I'm going to bed with my Steve Irwin boots on.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:52 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
I'm going to bed with my Steve Irwin boots on.
best not to get undressed either as they seem to like clothes piled up around the room - esp on the floor. We had one in the clothes on top of a suitcase about 2 weeks ago, probably the cold weather forcing them in - our house is not a mobile home on piles either that was the first in this house. Some reports suggest that there has not be a proven case of complications following a bite, others suggest the opposite (inc the Dr of the OP it would appear). Personally I'd take no risks and no prisoners!!!
One big reason why NZ is better than Oz in my book!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:50 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
So was it a spider that done it or not - reading the article kind of begs the question?
Well Im not sure if it was one or not, as I didn't see it but the doctor I saw said he had seen a few bites that were definitely done by spiders and mine looked and reacted the same, so I can only assume he is right. Even a week later it is still very painful and as its on the ankle it makes walking sore too.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well Im not sure if it was one or not, as I didn't see it but the doctor I saw said he had seen a few bites that were definitely done by spiders and mine looked and reacted the same, so I can only assume he is right. Even a week later it is still very painful and as its on the ankle it makes walking sore too.
Christ mate. They are nasty buggers! Hope they're all asleep now.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 2:57 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you're okay!

Off to tidy up the kids' clothes ...
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:25 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

we capture all the ones we find, then put them in a "bug jar" for the kids to see how long they can survive before dehydrating and finally lying on their backs to float to spider heaven - one survived about 6 weeks... Thankfully nobody's been bitten yet though...

hope you feel better soon.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:46 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

We used to get loads of the buggers in our rental house. They mainly liked to be in one of the kids bedroom as it was the warmest room in house. Horrible looking things. I got bit off some thing on my elbow and i had a white lump for weeks. Don't know what bit me though. A woman who i worked with husband worked at the docks. The insects stuck to the bottom of import cars from asia were of some concern. God knows what is crawling about.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 2:07 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ewwwww, unclean ... get well soon!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.