British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Whitemans Valley, Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whitemans-valley-wellington-835479/)

Andrew_Famly Jun 2nd 2014 8:09 pm

Whitemans Valley, Wellington

Does anyone know much about the above area? It appears that my husband may be working in Upper Hutt and the above area appears to offer community and lifestyle choices. We have two primary aged children and I wouldn't be working initially. Any views would be welcomed.

Many Thanks

gina and danny Jun 3rd 2014 2:52 am

Re: Whitemans Valley, Wellington

It's a beautiful area, although it is cut off from Upper Hutt slightly, it is rural you have to drive over the hill to get to it, for primary schools look at mangaroa primary and also Pinehaven school as the school bus services those from there I think.
No public transport and you need to drive to get anywhere.

They don't get many if any rentals there so I assume you are looking at buying?? It is one of the most expensive places to buy in Upper Hutt but you will do good for your money( rarely anything under $500,000)
If I had enough money I would love to live in Whitemans or mangaroa , my teenage son on the other hand would absolutely hate it.
If you need any more info just pm me:)

Andrew_Famly Jun 4th 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for your feedback, once we are closer to finalising everything I will pm you for more info, thanks for the offer

ellenarosemary Jun 6th 2014 1:13 am

We live in Mangaroa, I have a brother in Mangaroa and another in Whitemans Valley. I think personally the nicest bit of Whitemans Valley is Katherine Mansfield Drive. But as previously mentioned it would mean you need a car, we were lucky with a rental (house not sold in UK) as it was a private one, but you would struggle to rent in this area.

To buy I think Whitemans Valley is slightly cheaper than Mangaroa itself, but you do get a lovely property for your money.

The school bus runs from the end of Katherine Mansfield Drive and goes along to Mangaroa School daily, plus there is also a bus to Maidstone School if you children are older. Ours go to Mangaroa.

My husband works in Upper Hutt, I work in Wellington and go by train each day.

If you need any help, let me know pm me -

ps we love it here.

Andrew_Famly Jun 6th 2014 7:58 pm

Is Mangaroa as isolated at Whitemans Valley? We won't know anyone when we get out there so i don't want to be too remote as I won't be working at first and it is important for the children to be able to find friends to play with, otherwise it could be a complete disaster. Although a lifestyle seems a good idea but in reality it might be something to consider in a few years once we have built up a circle of friends.

sol133 Jun 6th 2014 10:26 pm

Hi
I’ve lived in nearby Wallaceville / Trentham for about five years. It’s a great place to live – beautiful countryside but not far from civilisation, and halfway to the Wairarapa. I work in Wellington and although the train station is about 300m from my door, I drive in to the CBD, about 32km. Without traffic it takes 25-30 minutes. If there’s an accident or heavy traffic it can take 1 ½ hours. The great thing about Upper Hutt is that it’s mostly flat, and you get much more for your money than buying in Wellington. I can’t speak for the rural areas though, so if you’re looking at lifestyle blocks you’ll need to research what you need. It’s just me and I don’t have kids and so that might be a deciding factor for you if you need near neighbours – maybe look at nearer the town centre where there are more residential areas.
I can’t think of any reason not to move here and would highly recommend it. Lucky you!

ellenarosemary Jun 7th 2014 5:35 am

If you keep your search area from Katherine Mansfield Drive to Mangaroa school you will be max 10 mins from town and on the school bus route. If you go deeper into Whitemans Valley you will be at least 20 mins from town and any children will be zoned for Silverstream School which entails driving down Blue Mountains Road, very steep, hairpin bends and in some parts single tracks. There are some lovely properties along that road, and they are cheaper, but they come with that awful road and further out of town.

Upper Hutt has some nice and not so nice areas, if you want a decent house you will pay for it, but it is much cheaper than Wellington itself. Personally once we buy (hopefully next year) we will be looking in the area I mentioned above. There are loads of lifestyle blocks and a lot of neighbours, any children will soon make friends and so consequently will you. We find we dont go to Upper Hutt that much, but if we do as I said before its less than 10 mins away, and we get to live in a lovely rural area.

Where is your husband going to be working?