Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

White Island eruption ( renamed)

White Island eruption ( renamed)

Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White Island eruption ( renamed)

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
NZ police say that the condition of 25 people in hospital is critical, some of them are burnt so severely they are unable to be identified or speak. The poor souls, it's horrific.
Very sadly, the death toll is going to rise from this tragic event.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

NZ police say that the condition of 25 people in hospital is critical, some of them are burnt so severely they are unable to be identified or speak. The poor souls, it's horrific.
I had hoped it would have been quick...but sadly it was not.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had hoped it would have been quick...but sadly it was not.
My thoughts exactly JG.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Very sadly, the death toll is going to rise from this tragic event.
Yes If the people who are critical and unable to talk or be identified had family with them, they'd probably ask for an end to their suffering now.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes If the people who are critical and unable to talk or be identified had family with them, they'd probably ask for an end to their suffering now.
I think so too. It sounds awful to say it but I think those who died (probably instantly) as the volcano erupted are the 'lucky' ones. I wouldn't want to be kept alive with such horrific burns as these sound to be for these poor people.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 4:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

TVNZ Mr Quinn

Mr Quinn said the company have practices in place to decide when it's unsafe to travel to the volcano and yesterday was no different."In the normal course of events, we'd actually make that call [not to travel] the night before, and that principally and invariably is around the weather," Mr Quinn said."But the overlay, of course, of that is on the volcanic activity on the island and we take our steer from GNS on that.
"They send us reports as to what the activity levels are and if in fact it is deemed safe - which is a level two which it was yesterday - the next step is the weather and then we make our choices from there."Mr Quinn reiterated while level two was not the lowest level of volcanic activity, it is still considered a safe degree to operate and visit White Island under."It's been level two for about a week, as I understand it," he said.

Old Dec 11th 2019, 4:42 am
`

I think so too. It sounds awful to say it but I think those who died (probably instantly) as the volcano erupted are the 'lucky' ones. I wouldn't want to be kept alive with such horrific burns as these sound to be for these poor people.
This is very difficult to even think about isn't it and all my heart goes out to those severely injured and their family and friends.

I know what severe burns look and smell like. What happens. It is not good and something that one never forgets, ever.

I will hope for recovery but I will also hope for peaceful passing too.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BEVS
This is very difficult to even think about isn't it and all my heart goes out to those severely injured and their family and friends.

I know what severe burns look and smell like. What happens. It is not good and something that one never forgets, ever.

Nicely put BEVS.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Volcano in 'doing a volcano type thing' shocker.

Could anybody have predicted this active volcano would erupt an ashcloud? Will the minister of volcanos resign? Will volcanos be banned? How long before people learn to be complacent about volcano safety again?
These are people that had no idea that allowing the public to own semi-automatic guns with few controls on gun-ownership might result in a massacre.

I am personally astonished that there are not more disasters.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 10:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
These are people that had no idea that allowing the public to own semi-automatic guns with few controls on gun-ownership might result in a massacre.

I am personally astonished that there are not more disasters.
Visiting an active volcano is different, it's a "You pays your money, you takes your chances" type deal. It's very sad these people have died or been injured but I do not buy the idea that people would not have been aware that active volcanos are dangerous. Similarly if an earthquake struck Wellington we would hardly be standing around tutting while asking why people where allowed to live in that city.

​​​The real danger is complacency with danger that cannot be mitigated, I'm not saying don't go and enjoy skiing at Ruapehu but understand that major major eruptions are about a 50 year event. There is a tiny risk you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The White Island volcano has killed before and it'll likely do so again, it just may take a century for people to become complacent about its dangers.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:44 pm
Concierge

No chuck, it doesn't sound awful at all, at least not to me.
Originally Posted by BEVS

Old Dec 12th 2019, 6:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion on recovery today is that it is foolhardy and a knee jerk reaction to media hype
.if I or my family members are ever caught up in a situation where our bodies could not be recovered without possible risk to others than leave them there until it is truly safe to recover.

I hope that all goes well today but the true cost of this recovery may not be seen for many many years to come to those attending.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

A pity they didn’t allow the helicopter guys to go in at the start...the bureaucracy is irritating...
Old Dec 12th 2019, 7:36 pm
`

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
My opinion on recovery today is that it is foolhardy and a knee jerk reaction to media hype
We think it is pressure from iwi and media.
There are thoughts of Pike River & also of the condition of the bodies/remains.
Police have stated there is a trade off to the quick recovery method in that not all will be recovered in the quick turn round time frame and so official ID could well take longer or not be possible.

Originally Posted by calman014
A pity they didn’t allow the helicopter guys to go in at the start...the bureaucracy is irritating...
There are protocols to safeguard against hero missions causing more injuries or claiming more lives. Not forgetting that the situation changed very fast once the eruption occurred.
I sort of concur that if a pilot/ family member was/is willing to risk his life, it was his to risk but if that happened then all eyes turn to the authorities. The responders are damned no matter what they do.

Old Dec 12th 2019, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

So it was ok to allow tourists onto the island but not rescuer's, even though the actual level of risk hasn't changed. There was increased activity before the eruption which raised the danger level, but it was ignored. The situation is comical, shambolic and typically kiwi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.