Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

White goods - bring or not??

White goods - bring or not??

Old May 27th 2009, 10:21 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White goods - bring or not??

Originally Posted by blackburn lass
Anyway......back to the original question........I am not taking anything - white goods or furniture. £4000 for shipping, I don't have £4000 worth of furniture. I would rather take the money and buy new. But will box some personal items, photos, small stereo, cd's, of course nintendo Wii, and TNT or DHL them over.

Dawn X
Good luck with that but you might find 4k and a crap exchange rate might not buy you all you need here if you are going to be needing items such as bed, bedding, curtains, towels, kitchen equipment, crockery, utensils, iron./board, washing line, lawnmower, all white goods, tv, sofas, table, lamps, etc. although there is always TradeMe
Old May 28th 2009, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

I know it will probrably cost more than 4k, but A) I am due some new things and B) we are renting our house to my dad and I have promised to leave the main things in the house e.g. washing machine, fridge, sofa, table. So I'm not going to pay for a 20ft container just to move 2 beds and some drawers!!!!
I think that we are lucky enough to have my dad moving into the house and paying our mortgage (not having worrying about tennants) that the cost of new items in NZ is irrelevant. What do you think? Bear in mind I am shipping a couple of large boxes over and could put smaller items in there like cutlery, stereo and some bedding.

Dawn X
Old May 28th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

Oh yeh forgot to say that it was also a choice between shipping the dog or shipping the furniture......dog wins every time!!!

Dawn x
Old May 28th 2009, 9:48 am
Just Joined

vicderbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blackburn lass
I know it will probrably cost more than 4k, but A) I am due some new things and B) we are renting our house to my dad and I have promised to leave the main things in the house e.g. washing machine, fridge, sofa, table. So I'm not going to pay for a 20ft container just to move 2 beds and some drawers!!!!
I think that we are lucky enough to have my dad moving into the house and paying our mortgage (not having worrying about tennants) that the cost of new items in NZ is irrelevant. What do you think? Bear in mind I am shipping a couple of large boxes over and could put smaller items in there like cutlery, stereo and some bedding.

Dawn X
Bedding is good to take out - to get good quality stuff in New Zealand is quite difficult. My biggest bug bear out there was that the quality of things like clothes and bedding weren't paticularly good, and to get reasonable quality was very expensive. It's the same in Australia as well.