Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

White goods - bring or not??

White goods - bring or not??

Old May 25th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

drcallycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question White goods - bring or not??

Hi - Can anyone advise me about shipping white goods out to New Zealand? I have heard mixed reports about rented places not having them. We will certainly be renting for a year or so, maybe longer so I need to know whether to bring the fridge freezer, washing machine etc or sell them and hope the rented place has them. Any suggestions appreciated. Also, is it just a case of putting new plugs on everything? Clare
Old May 25th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White goods - bring or not??

Our rental place is 2 years old and came with dishwasher, so I wish we didn't bother with ours, but bring your fridge and washing machine out, you can rent or buy here, but that's up to you.

I bought the fridge, freezer, wahing machine and tumble dryer, the last two I haven't unwrapped yet and don't intend to use.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yep, would agree with the above. We brought our fridge as they are quite expensive here. Rentals don't come with anything except cooker. We brought almost everything and are so glad we did.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Forgot to say that the only thing I wouldn't bring is wardrobes as houses here tend to have large built-in ones.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drcallycat
Hi - Can anyone advise me about shipping white goods out to New Zealand? I have heard mixed reports about rented places not having them. We will certainly be renting for a year or so, maybe longer so I need to know whether to bring the fridge freezer, washing machine etc or sell them and hope the rented place has them. Any suggestions appreciated. Also, is it just a case of putting new plugs on everything? Clare
You don't need to put new plugs on you can buy adaptors for UK plugs..it is cheaper however to simply buy NZ plugs and chop off the UK ones. Bring your white goods if they are newish..we bought none of ours and to buy all the bits cost us $9 k in 2005!!!! You have to weigh up the cost of moving them against the likely amount of time they will last you. Good luck.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:03 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I would bring everything that you can as you never know and white goods here are expensive and you can also store stuff in your garage for later use without having to find $$$ to go and buy new so if you've got room in your container bring everything. And yes, just a case of changing plugs but would also recommend you bring out some 4-gang extensions. You can then change to plug on that to an NZ one and plug your washing machine and dishwasher into the extension without having to change their individual plugs over. Wouldn't recommend you overload the 4-gang extns this way but it helps and a lot of white goods have moulded on plugs.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:06 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Bring the lot!!!!!!

Can I suggest that you bring an EXTRA fridge too; you have to have a drinks fridge for the summer
Old May 25th 2009, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely bring them. Our tumble dryer packed up last week . I assured OH not to worry as these are cheaper than washing machines (I had to replace our washing machine last year!). Oh how wrong I was. I toddled off to Harvey Norman & the model I wanted (a Bosch) was $2249 . The guy offered to do a deal & came up with $1899. Luckily OH works for an insurance co. & managed to get it down to $1520

Bring what you can, you can always sell it on TradeMe
Old May 25th 2009, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drcallycat
[F]Hi - Can anyone advise me about shipping white goods out to New Zealand? I have heard mixed reports about rented places not having them. We will certainly be renting for a year or so, maybe longer so I need to know whether to bring the fridge freezer, washing machine etc or sell them and hope the rented place has them. Any suggestions appreciated. Also, is it just a case of putting new plugs on everything? Clare[/FONT]
Hi you could also bring the TV,DVD it will work on sky, and we have even tuned one that was not on sky to start with.
Garden items just give them a good clean only item we did not bring was the lawnmower.
Lin
Old May 25th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

what ever you do bring them over.
white goods here are very expensive once you start
living with and earning the kiwi dollar.
Front loader washers are around $1300 for a half decnt one.
Cheap chest freezers are around $300 to $400. factor in another $1000
for a fridge freezer another $1000 for a dishwasher and $500 for a budget tumble dryer.
Thats at least $4000 if you buy bottom of the range stuff.
All your stuff will work fine here and you will be able to get them repaired
should ou ever need to.
bring them with you.

Ps we brought our tv's and all of them worked perfectly here in nz
we had no problems with picture or sound. we just plugged them in tuned them in
and theyall worked just as they had in the uk.
DVD players tend to be zoned and ours will not play kiwi discs

Last edited by Justcol; May 25th 2009 at 10:19 pm.
Old May 25th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things we are glad we bought over was our petrol lawnmower, the grass grows quickly here!

Oh and i'm glad I bought over feather quilts for everyone, we bought them in the sale in UK, but they seems to be really expensive here.

we bought the whole house over in a 20ft container, the only thing that didn't fit was our sofa's, but that actually turned out well for us, we got some new ones at good prices.
Old May 25th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would bring everything you can, what’s the worst you would need to do if you moved into rented accommodation that had the white goods supplied? Store yours in the garage!!

As Tee said though if you can go pick up some decent cheap feather duvets in Argos or something then get them as they are pretty expensive here.

We brought what we could and it gave us a chance to clear out the rubbish we would not use again, we did bring a sofa with us but bought another one here coz the house has two living rooms. So if your loading a 20’ container load in what you can.

We gave our petrol lawnmower to my bro before we left ………. DOHHHH!! Had to but one here but they are a reasonable price so not too bad.

If you choose not to bring white goods here then you have plenty of places to buy them here, most seem to have a sale on every day so it pays to shop about and haggle with them.

Good Luck
Old May 26th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Thats at least $4000 if you buy bottom of the range stuff.
All your stuff will work fine here and you will be able to get them repaired
should ou ever need to.
bring them with you.
Originally Posted by genesis
we bought none of ours and to buy all the bits cost us $9 k in 2005!!!!
Despite the scare tactics you can get decent quality for a lot less.

e.g :

Washing Machines
Electrolux/Whirlpool Front loaders - $1000 (as good as Bosch)
Bosch Front-loader - $1200 (but arguable whether they are quality any more)
Basic top loader (LG) - $600

Fridges
Decent size Westinghouse/Samsung - $1000

Dishwasher
Do you really need one?
Delonghi - $598

Dryer
$300-$400 depending on specials.

So for decent quality (brand name) necessities I would say $2500 max (fridge, washer, dryer)

And when here shop around, price compare and haggle aggressively. Cash discounts can be substantial. And many places do things like 30 months interest free.
Old May 26th 2009, 1:12 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

One issue that no one has mentioned is spare parts. If you do bring your whitegoods here and they do break down, it is very likely that parts will either be difficult (and expensive) to come by or impossible. For small parts you could buy them on line in the UK and have them shipped and DIY the repairs but that's a risk.

For fridges and freezers if you do bring them then DO allow them to stand in place without switching them on for 24 hours, otherwise you can break them beyond repair.

My experience is that some rentals DO have white goods in them especially larger homes with built in stuff.
Old May 26th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

It's a simple question but there's a lot to weigh up.

First, if you have a container, and there's room, then bring them. No sense in having empty space that you've paid for.

Second, if you have a container but have run out of space but need to leave some things then I'd suggest white goods are quite a good bet for leaving, depending on how old they are, if you can sell them etc.

We left ours since we had only a limited budget for shipping and it costs about £50 for a fridge (based on volume) in group shipping (where you share a container with others as organised by the shipping company).

We rent a house and it has fridge, freezer, oven, dishwasher, dryer, washing machine. In other words all the whiteware is included in the rental - but the rest of the house was completely bare. From the properties I've rented before and from our searching, it's quite typical for whiteware to be included, but not obligatory by any means.

If you do bring whiteware, as has been mentioned, bring a four-block and change its plug. Then you can use the UK fused plugs on your appliances. Kiwi electrics are rubbish in comparison and when you rent the landlord does not have to have an electrical safety inspection like you would get in the UK.

Will

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.