White Goods

Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold
Default White Goods

Can somebody tell us if it is worth buying new American Fridge Freezer/ Front Loading Washer and Dish washer ect to bring with us in container or is it just as cheap to buy new in N.Z. as these items are very cheap in UK if you shop around. We will just sell our ones we are using at present and buy new then unpack them before putting in container to avoid import duty if that applys.
Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White Goods

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
Can somebody tell us if it is worth buying new American Fridge Freezer/ Front Loading Washer and Dish washer ect to bring with us in container or is it just as cheap to buy new in N.Z. as these items are very cheap in UK if you shop around. We will just sell our ones we are using at present and buy new then unpack them before putting in container to avoid import duty if that applys.
Thanks
Yes!

Assuming you have room in your container. Simply more choice in the UK and a better way to convert you english pounds in kiwi dollars.

Don't forget to get a new vacuum cleaner!!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I am wrong but should they remove all the packaging so that they don't look new or they will have to pay duty.

Here's what I have read:-

All you need to do is take them out of the box and try them out. If you then let the shippers pack the tv/washing machine etc back into their boxes,they will then put their own tape on it. Keep the receipts handy in case of problems ie, do not put them in the container and you shouldn't have a problem after all most households have a tv and washing machine.

Many people flat pack their boxes in case they have to take the items back to the shop.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 7:18 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, if you have the money, can get a good deal and you already have the room then yes.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone that is what i want to hear.
Is there any brands i should avoid that may not be able to get repaired if there is any breakdown. Should i stick to major well known brands. Hoover, Whirlpool, ect.( WHAT IS WELL KNOWN BRANDS IN NZ ).
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:17 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone that is what i want to hear.
Is there any brands i should avoid that may not be able to get repaired if there is any breakdown. Should i stick to major well known brands. Hoover, Whirlpool, ect.( WHAT IS WELL KNOWN BRANDS IN NZ ).
Fischer & Paykell (sp?); Miele; Ummmmmm ... don't know!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:20 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Bosch service is pretty good here.
From a professional point of view (them catching fire) I'd avoid the southern european made machines (even cheapie Bosch, etc), never been too keen on Whirlpool, and would steer clear of the real cheap stuff.
Invest a little more and get more time before a breakdown, as parts are pretty expensive here.
For TV parts I've ordered them in the UK for a NZ engineer to fit them or done it myself (new on/off switch).
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I brought Bosch washing machine and Bosch dryer new from the UK. Fortunately they had a 2 year international warranty which came in useful when the WM packed up. It needed a new circuit board which had to be ordered from Germany and was fitted by local agents at no charge to me.

If you do buy new and unpack it, make sure you keep the shipping bracket inplace as they jiggled around a lot in a container on the high seas. Also, bring spare accessories such as belts cos they are quite expensive here.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:25 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few links to see what's available in NZ

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/
http://www.bondandbond.co.nz/shop/
http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/
http://dicksmith.co.nz/dsnz/home.jsp
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for links
After picking up my jaw at the prices we will def bring new from UK
Thanks all
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:49 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for links
After picking up my jaw at the prices we will def bring new from UK
Thanks all
don't forget that there are specials around and you can haggle - yep, buying white goods in NZ is like buying a car in the UK in the 1980s....

but even then you usually get lower spec for more $$$$s

I would say bring it over, but if you are going to get a rental then a wide fridge/freezer may not fit, been to plenty of rental properties and can't recall ever seeing one with enough space in the kitchen
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Thanks
We replaced all of our white goods before we came because we knew we were going to be on a very low income for the first 3 years and just wanted a little re-assurance that we wouldn't be going over drawn or using credit cards replacing the old stuff we had.

We went for Miele because they had a 10 year warranty on them and there are Miele service centres over here. Just make sure that with any such warranties, that you get the shop staff to print off everything for you so you have the hard copies in your hand, also get in touch with the manufacturer straight away to confirm the validity of the warranty - and get that in writing also.

It's not something you have to do in UK because they're all capable of using the internet and telephone to verify these things, but over here - you have to assume the repair centre use smoke signals and paper cups with string to talk to each other - and unless you can produce the documentation yourself they won't honour it!!

We had a very small issue with one of the machines in uk, phoned Miele and the replacement part (cosmetic) arrived before noon the next day. We had a more serious issue here - and because I couldn't find the original paperwork immediately - they wouldn't used the Miele database to verify the warranty and wanted $200 just to come to the front door.

Luckily, we keep everything and also had scanned copies saved on the PC - but if we hadn't, the service centre over here wouldn't have honoured the warranty and we'd have had to pay around $500 up front to fix the machine and then try to claim it back later.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:45 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy new in UK and explain it's for export, isn't the VAT removed?
Our's was, and paid no duty on arrival.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
If you buy new in UK and explain it's for export, isn't the VAT removed?
Our's was, and paid no duty on arrival.
would be interested to know if that is the case abojut vat as we will be moving over 2012 and am looking at bringing stuff
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:02 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

As I recall, we merely arranged delivery on pack up day, and it went straight in the container.
I know it arrived here still in wrapping, and we never got asked for GST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.