White goods and 10 amp domestic supply

White goods and 10 amp domestic supply

Old May 27th 2013, 7:35 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default White goods and 10 amp domestic supply

Hi All,

Just prepping things ready for the removals guys in 2 weeks time. We were going to be bringing our tumble dryer among other things. I then read that any appliances have to be consuming 10 amps maximum as this is what the domestic supply takes.

This means our dryer needs to consume 2400w or 2.4Kw (240v x 10 amps) as a maximum. it appears that ours will draw 2700 - 3000 w which would mean we cant bring it as it will pop the fuses etc

Is this correct? I read up that there is an NZ plug designed for 13 amps with a larger earth pin, but assume this is not the standard socket we will find in houses, and that generally the domestic supply is 10amps max.

Just wondering what anybody else's experiences were.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JPA; May 27th 2013 at 7:54 pm.
Old May 27th 2013, 7:54 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White goods and 10 amp domestic supply

sorry don't know about amps but we bought our over 10yr old tumble dryer and its working a treat. the plugs and plug sockets over here are awful, just two prongs and the sockets don't seem to "grasps" the plug like the UK ones as they are easily knocked out and come out when I'm hoovering.

sorry not technical and probably hasn't answered your question but it has let me let of steam about the stupid plugs
Old May 27th 2013, 7:58 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
sorry don't know about amps but we bought our over 10yr old tumble dryer and its working a treat. the plugs and plug sockets over here are awful, just two prongs and the sockets don't seem to "grasps" the plug like the UK ones as they are easily knocked out and come out when I'm hoovering.

sorry not technical and probably hasn't answered your question but it has let me let of steam about the stupid plugs
Morning Mrs F.

Yeah - the plugs are a bit naff. I know that loads of people have taken their stuff out and had no issues so I'm probably fussing over nothing.
Old May 27th 2013, 8:01 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Evening

always worth asking though but as I say not technical so someone might be along to say different. but we bought over all out white goods, except our Henry hoover as I was a bit weary about making sure it got cleaned properly, wish I had the hoovers over here are crap, miss Henry so much
Old May 27th 2013, 9:16 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

Found the info in this older thread:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509088

So appliances can not exceed 10A 2400w.
Old May 27th 2013, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Evening

always worth asking though but as I say not technical so someone might be along to say different. but we bought over all out white goods, except our Henry hoover as I was a bit weary about making sure it got cleaned properly, wish I had the hoovers over here are crap, miss Henry so much
Hoover is a brand name of electrical goods, washing machines, vacuum cleaners etc. Henry is a brand name of a vacuum cleaner. There is no such thing as a Henry Hoover.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:14 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by winston_1
Hoover is a brand name of electrical goods, washing machines, vacuum cleaners etc. Henry is a brand name of a vacuum cleaner. There is no such thing as a Henry Hoover.
Fascinating though that is, where I come from we often refer to vacuum cleaners generically as as hoovers.I suspect it is the same for mrs F hence the reference.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:19 pm

yeh what JPA.

plus hoover is easier to spell than vacuum
Old May 28th 2013, 1:13 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Just checked my DB (Distribution box) - the ELCBs (Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers) are C10 (10 Amp) for lighting circuits, C20 (20 Amp) for H/P (Hot Points or power sockets) and C32 (32 Amp) for the cooker and the oven on separate curcuits. This is a new house, so maybe the 'old' rating of 10 Amps is what's in older houses, when not as much electricity was used?

Anyway, when I want to kick off a couple of 2kW heaters on the same circuit I do, with no problems. 4000W / 220V > 18 Amps. Bring your whiteware!

(And before anyone takes a gasping breath to say "But it's 240 volts, not 220...!" no, it's not. Your appliances will run very happily on 220V. The whole myth of needing 240V was generated (excuse the pun!) by the electricity companies, to get people to use MORE power than was needed, and increase the generating companies profits!)
Old May 28th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You can get 15A sockets and plugs, which have a larger earth pin so you can't use a 15A plug in a 10A socket. Our hot tub has one of these. Obviously you'd need to ensure this socket had suitable wiring and breaker/fuse - possibly a job for an electrician
Old May 28th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by downunderpom
(And before anyone takes a gasping breath to say "But it's 240 volts, not 220...!" no, it's not. Your appliances will run very happily on 220V. The whole myth of needing 240V was generated (excuse the pun!) by the electricity companies, to get people to use MORE power than was needed, and increase the generating companies profits!)
That is a load of crap.

The UK and Australia are on 240V but now referred to 230V under harmonisation. Europe and Ireland are on 220V but also referred to 230V under harmonisation. New Zealand and Northern Ireland are on 230V and were before harmonisation.

There was never any myth about needing 240V or conspiracy by the electricity companies.

Anyway running most modern appliances with switch mode power supplies on a higher voltage does not use more power. Heating appliances such as kettles will use more instantaneous power but will boil the water sooner so the total power used is the same (or less as there is less time for losses through the casing).
Old May 28th 2013, 11:57 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by winston_1
That is a load of crap.

The UK and Australia are on 240V but now referred to 230V under harmonisation. Europe and Ireland are on 220V but also referred to 230V under harmonisation. New Zealand and Northern Ireland are on 230V and were before harmonisation.

There was never any myth about needing 240V or conspiracy by the electricity companies.

Anyway running most modern appliances with switch mode power supplies on a higher voltage does not use more power. Heating appliances such as kettles will use more instantaneous power but will boil the water sooner so the total power used is the same (or less as there is less time for losses through the casing).
You must be very young.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm not! and he's right!
Old May 29th 2013, 2:05 am
I like kittens.

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Well I'm not! and he's right!
I didn't say he was wrong. I said he was young. The reason I said he was young was his attitude, and the way in which he disagreed. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me - I do have a problem with people being rude. That is quite often a result of being young, and still being full of piss and vinegar, being convinced of your own infallability, and thinking that you can talk to everyone like you talk to your mates down the pub, whereas - once you have several decades under your belt - you realise that you don't know everything, and that everyone else has their right to an opinion, whether that opinion is right or wrong. Then, if you disagree with what someone has said, you politely tell them that they're talking crap. You don't shove their faces in the fact. This method of communication gives the other guy a chance to say "Really? I will check my facts and get back to you." instead of responding in a like manner, which ends up in a flame war.

It's called good manners. Courtesy. Being an adult, rather than a 'callow youth'. And you smile when you say it.
Old May 29th 2013, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Well I'm sorry I upset you. What really caused my outburst was the suggestion of some sort of conspiracy by the electricity companies.

Without stating my age, let's just say I have been retired now for a number of years and worked in the electrical industry in NZ, UK, and Australia in the 70's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.