Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whinging pom - fair assesment?

Whinging pom - fair assesment?

Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:58 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Whinging pom - fair assesment?

I myself can do plenty of whinging in private, on this board, for example. But - I make a point not to do it when im out and about with kiwi friends, at work, or just everyday life.

When I see or hear a pom doing that it truly makes my blood boil! :curse: Maybe im becoming kiwi without even realising it.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Whinging pom - fair assesment?

In the three years we've been here , neither one of us has ever heard the term 'whinging pom' being used. The only place I ever see it is on these boards and its usually another pom whinging about a pom they may believe is whinging. They use it to try and get one over on someone or to intimate they have somehow failed or simply because they disagree with the persons viewpoint.

I would agree about the whinging thing. I'll lend my ears to anyone with a problem but get impatient if its a continuous whine or whinge. Thankfully, I haven't ever met many people like that.
I knew of a couple like it in the UK and I have met one here .

A fair assessment would be to heartily avoid the whingers in life, whatever their nationality ,for they will forever be discontent and seek to drone their unhappiness with life continually in your lugholes.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:29 am
Banned

RADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really niceRADI is just really nice

How do you know when a plane load of Pommies has landed .?

You can still hear the whining after the engines have been shut off.

What is it with this Whinging Pommie thing,I have never come across it here it must be an Aussie thing from the days when we called them the convicts decendants just to wind them up.You emigrate for a better life we all hope but dont expect it to be a bed of roses waiting for you .It is a labour of love you have to work at it and nurse and culture it to make it work your way.Dont come to expect all to be as you wish for ,adapt to the surroundings not whinge about what you cannot have that you took for granted in the homeland you left.Welcome to New Zealand ,20th century but still laid back enough to say chill out .Love it here .
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:06 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought only Aussies call the British poms, I didnĀ“t know that Kiwis do as well. One learns something new every day.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:20 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

They usually refer to the England rugby team as the Pommies in the papers and on the commentary
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tradesblokes ID hubby as short Phil the Pommy plumber. The use of Poms and pommy is quite common but is not used in a derogatory way for the most part.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:56 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

When used in a derogatory way it's usually "Pommie bastard"

I find!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:58 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
When used in a derogatory way it's usually "Pommie bastard"

I find!

Kev usually finds that a reply involving sheep & parentage soon sorts that one
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Did anyone see 'No place like home' on ITV last week.

It made me cringe, the guy did nothing but whinge - a veritable Victor Meldrew!

Quote - "I hate the beach, sand everywhere!!" :curse:
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Applefritters is an unknown quantity at this point

Err, sorry to be dense and all, But what specifically are Brits whinging about to be labeled so? I am very keen to avoid stereotypical "Whinges". Don't want to end up as a stereotype, what!

I Guess "Whinging pom" is a bit better than "Filth" (Failed in London Trying Hong Kong)...

AF
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

rab2n will become famous soon enoughrab2n will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Did anyone see 'No place like home' on ITV last week.

It made me cringe, the guy did nothing but whinge - a veritable Victor Meldrew!

Quote - "I hate the beach, sand everywhere!!" :curse:
What about last night's episode - I couldn't believe mum. She had serious homesickness. She had been back to UK from NZ seven times in the last 17 years and on each occasion she had to stand in her friend's bath to look out of her window at the house she use to live in. Her husband had taped 2 hours worth of negative things about UK to remind them of what they were leaving behind. She would watch them secretly and actually sought comfort in watching his recordings of traffic jams and heavy rain!!