British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where's the best English shop in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wheres-best-english-shop-auckland-526057/)

julesnye Apr 1st 2008 3:26 pm

Where's the best English shop in Auckland

Sorry another question froma recent expat was:-

Where's the best English shop in Auckland, I only know of the one in Browns bay which is not exactly Auckland.
Any one else know??:confused:

garryhg Apr 1st 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Where's the best English shop in Auckland

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 6142939)

Where's the best English shop in Auckland, I only know of the one in Browns bay which is not exactly Auckland.

theres Bramptons in Pakaranga(which can be quite expensive)
and theres also the great British shop in Onehunga,which is supposed to be better(we have never been there yet).hope this helps..jacky

crap coffee Apr 1st 2008 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 6142939)

http://www.theenglishcornershop.co.nz/

I was stuck at home in Dairy Flat for the past two months. I don't even know where's English Shop around my place so I ordered two Galaxy Dark Chocolates over the phone. It was total $14.50 and arrived the next day.:eek: nicely/carefully packed with Nestle Munchies box :rofl: It was a good price and convenient if they don't seem to have everything what I need.

despite paying for shipping costs, I don't feel too bad about it. At least they are much cheaper than COOL BRITANNIA in Welly! :mad: quite frankly I never want to go there again. Obviously they are not cool.

minky Apr 2nd 2008 2:09 am

Also Pak n Save at Sylvia Park has an English section

Steve and Julie Apr 2nd 2008 4:32 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 6144558)

I was stuck at home in Dairy Flat for the past two months. I don't even know where's English Shop around my place so I ordered two Galaxy Dark Chocolates over the phone. It was total $14.50 and arrived the next day.:eek: nicely/carefully packed with Nestle Munchies box :rofl: It was a good price and convenient if they don't seem to have everything what I need.

despite paying for shipping costs, I don't feel too bad about it. At least they are much cheaper than COOL BRITANNIA in Welly! :mad: quite frankly I never want to go there again. Obviously they are not cool.

Thanks for the link to the english shop, some of the foods we real fancy are sold there. Will tell all our UK friends about it. Never heard of it before.

Ju

lardyl Apr 2nd 2008 4:47 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 6144558)

Orewa, opposite the Mad Butcher and Paper Plus is a Bramptins, just like the one on N Shore, but then Galaxy is a damn sight cheaper at Pack-n-Shove, Sylvia Park, Mt Wellington mind! (if they have any in stock on the "international foods" aisle??) Some of the South African shops have "British" brands cheaper than those places too.......:thumbup: There's one in Whangaparoa, but not sure what it stocks??
Anyone got info?? :confused:
- is there such an aisle at the Albany p-n-s???.......:confused:

jueinnz Apr 2nd 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by minky (Post 6145507)

What have they got??? Don't want to brave silvia park if I don't have too..

Oh there's a nice dutch shop in Henderson.....cheeses and sausages and that special mayo they put on their "frites":thumbsup:

CCGM.IN.NZ Apr 2nd 2008 8:36 am

Originally Posted by minky (Post 6145507)

I love this shop :thumbsup:. I always buy the Robinsons Special R juice as I cant find anything like it anywhere :(

Bo-Jangles Apr 2nd 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6145820)
Orewa, opposite the Mad Butcher and Paper Plus is a Bramptins, just like the one on N Shore, but then Galaxy is a damn sight cheaper at Pack-n-Shove, Sylvia Park, Mt Wellington mind! (if they have any in stock on the "international foods" aisle??) Some of the South African shops have "British" brands cheaper than those places too.......:thumbup: There's one in Whangaparoa, but not sure what it stocks??
Anyone got info?? :confused:
- is there such an aisle at the Albany p-n-s???.......:confused:

I certain that Whangaparoa one was Bramptins too, same as Browns Bay and Pukuranga, but no it's not listed on their site.

P&S Albany do not have any special international aisle, however the new New World has a tiddly little shelf of some UK and European products. Tunnocks Snowballs, Heinz tomato soup, baked beans and a few other bits - still bloomin mega expensive. :curse:

Theres' also a stall sometimes at Takapuna market on a Sunday that has more resonable prices, but very hit and miss as to whether they are there and what stock they have.

julesnye Apr 2nd 2008 9:38 am

Many thanks to all of you who have answered this query, my girls will certainly enjoy checking these places out.:thumbsup:

lardyl Apr 2nd 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 6146382)
I certain that Whangaparoa one was Bramptins too, .....

yeah in Orewa just down from the library towards the sea front and past the Jewelers on the corner......
bought my most expensive, past-its-sell-by mustard powder before I realised that New World in Orewa sells Coleman's !!
I am reliably informed that they are "strange" people who own the shops and I suppose there are strange people who frequent them *too often*.

Bo-Jangles Apr 2nd 2008 11:18 am

That really irks me that they sell stuff that is readily available in any supermarket and double the price. They must onto a good thing, their like drug pushers, knowing that cashed up poms will shell out $8 for a fix of Bisto.

On another tangent I saw a car in Albany at the weekend rego 'DRGDLR' :mad: How brazen is that?

lardyl Apr 2nd 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 6146875)
That really irks me that they sell stuff that is readily available in any supermarket and double the price. They must onto a good thing, their like drug pushers, knowing that cashed up poms will shell out $8 for a fix of Bisto.

On another tangent I saw a car in Albany at the weekend rego 'DRGDLR' :mad: How brazen is that?

yeah, as has been posted elsewhere - watch out for the rip-off merchants. but to be fair these shops should be able to charge a premium over the supermarkets as they have to stock a pretty wide range, not 100% though.......
suppose the car belonged to a lawyer or real estate agent and they wanted to pretend to be someone further up the evolutionary scale??????? (joking)

neilw71 Apr 2nd 2008 4:05 pm

The English Corner Shop is just down the road from us, so we pop in every now and again. He actually wholesales the goods to Pak'n'Save down at Sylvia Park and others.

Nice guys who will help get specific goods if needed.

Neil

dlmckay Apr 3rd 2008 12:07 am

There's an english section in the greengrocer Izard's near Parrs Park out west... if you dare venture off the Shore! :D