Reload this Page >

Where in Wellington?

Wikiposts

Where in Wellington?

Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:28 pm

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in Wellington?

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
I was more worried about your safety up there, you know with the mob being located up there plus the assaults on people on the train station
Wellington is the most rural city in NZ.

Although noone has mentioned it there are places in Karori which are waaaay out in the sticks.

A bit further out, places like Belmont in the Hutt, are cool. If you want to be in the bush you could always start wrapping yer head around a commute from the wairapa (sp)

Then there is makara.

Basically, if you are willing to look there are heaps of places.

One thing I suggest you do though is make sure you choose a place which gets all day sun - some places in welly are in perma shade.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:53 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoyo
Then there is makara.

True. 10 minutes out of Wellington and it could be the Shetland Islands.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
True. 10 minutes out of Wellington and it could be the Shetland Islands.
Amazing but true enough.
Not much at Makara apart from the beach and a cafe or did I miss the main bit? Not sure I'd want to drive into Wellington on that bendy country road everyday though. Fabulous orange gorse and the standard yellow too on the hillsides last time I visited. Very pretty and Scottish.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JaneAS
Hi. After months of researching C/Ch, and deciding where we wanted to live (Rangiora / Kaipoi), I am having to broaden my horizons to include Welly, as I stand a better chance of getting a job there. I have masses of research to do, so I am looking for some starting points please!

Please can you advise me of semi-rural / small village-feel type areas that are an easy commute to the city centre (30-40 mins in the car), but are affordable for housing? I live in a busy suburb at the moment (Warrington, Cheshire) and want to move to a quieter, more backwater location. As I said, Rangiora and Kaipoi looked fab to me, in terms of open space, housing, schools etc. Where is similar in the Welly area?

I guess it never snows in Welly, but are there any mountains nearby, or is is mostly flat?

Thanks!
Jane

We decided on Silverstream/Pinehaven area as it has very quick links to SH2 into Welly, train station which also goes into Welly and is more rural/village like. we came from a West Sussex village so like the feel of a more community based area. The primary school is great and house prices are very affordable compared to some places. It has a New world local supermarket, Dr's, Pharmacy, travel agent, estate agent, dentist, hairdresser, cafe, bar, vets, kindy, bakery, card shop come post office, chinesse and the other other side of the railway is a video store.

Some of the Lower hutt hills also have similar communities (trains at the bottom of the hill) i.e Korokoro, Manguraki, Normandale etc.

Riverstone terraces is an up and coming estate - no community facilities yet - i.e bus route, shops etc. But due I hear to get a dairy (corner shop), playground and at least 5 more stages of house building! It is getting quiet big - It feels more like a new uk housing development.

The further out you get (i.e up the Hutt Valley the cheaper the housing), also you find more flatter sections in the valley floor compared to steep sections on hill sides.

Eastboure is lovely and very community feel as well, but very sought after and expensive - and first to get hit is a tsunami hits and there is one road in and out that can get shut in high winter tides when windy.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Hutt and Eastbourne and even Kapiti coast-all well within the preferred 40 minute boundary.
However-you can't ignore Porirua. Although I don't live within the city walls,we can be rural within 10 minutes.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Wow - loads of replies, and places to check out - thank you guys!

Wilma - we have a little boy (almost 8), and he is our main reason for moving to NZ. We hate the way the UK is developing, and want him to have the opportunity to see a different lifestyle while he is still a child.

Luvwelly - I have lived in Warrington all my life (40+ years) and the changes over the past 30 have been massive - it has trebled in size, lost most of its green areas, and sprouted shops and offices everywhere. Oh and pretty much all of its industry has gone.

Here is a question to put it into perspective. For those of you who have recently migrated, which English town / city would you most compare Wellington to (size / business / cleanliness / general feel). Does it 'feel' like Cambridge? Or a Manchester suburb? Or Edinburgh? Or is it more akin to Chester?

Thanks,
Jane
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:58 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh.

Capital city. Small. Quite cultural. Chilly.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - loads of replies, and places to check out - thank you guys!

Wilma - we have a little boy (almost 8), and he is our main reason for moving to NZ. We hate the way the UK is developing, and want him to have the opportunity to see a different lifestyle while he is still a child.

Luvwelly - I have lived in Warrington all my life (40+ years) and the changes over the past 30 have been massive - it has trebled in size, lost most of its green areas, and sprouted shops and offices everywhere. Oh and pretty much all of its industry has gone.

Here is a question to put it into perspective. For those of you who have recently migrated, which English town / city would you most compare Wellington to (size / business / cleanliness / general feel). Does it 'feel' like Cambridge? Or a Manchester suburb? Or Edinburgh? Or is it more akin to Chester?

Thanks,
Jane
Maybe York? That's compact & has a friendly feel to it.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:10 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boopy
Maybe York? That's compact & has a friendly feel to it.
Wheres the sea in York ????

Wellington is Wellington. Michael J Fox likened it to Vancover when he was here.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

It lacks the historic buildings to be like any of those - although by NZ standards it has got a lot...Government and University Buildings, lots of art deco buildings, wild west town-style shops (New Town especially), a few smart shopping streets, a hotch potch of high rise in CBD but pleasant nonetheless as it lies behind the waterfront and the whole thing has a very hilly backdrop.

So think small hilly sophisticated seaside-type town with everything you need (theatre, art galleries, library, cinema, restaurants, cafes, sports facilities, views etc etc) and few of the downsides normally associated with town life. The air is very fresh and clean. Google for snaps of it...they give a good idea although possibly make it look bigger and more sprawling than it seems in reality. I was thinking to myself this morning that the most exciting and hairy, driving in Central Wellington gets is the Basin Reserve Roundabout which has a cricket pitch in the middle of it!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:27 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luvwelly
It lacks the historic buildings to be like any of those - although by NZ standards it has got a lot...Government and University Buildings, lots of art deco buildings, wild west town-style shops (New Town especially), a few smart shopping streets, a hotch potch of high rise in CBD but pleasant nonetheless as it lies behind the waterfront and the whole thing has a very hilly backdrop.

So think small hilly sophisticated seaside-type town with everything you need (theatre, art galleries, library, cinema, restaurants, cafes, sports facilities, views etc etc) and few of the downsides normally associated with town life. The air is very fresh and clean. Google for snaps of it...they give a good idea although possibly make it look bigger and more sprawling than it seems in reality. I was thinking to myself this morning that the most exciting and hairy, driving in Central Wellington gets is the Basin Reserve Roundabout which has a cricket pitch in the middle of it!
where abouts do you live ??
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

where abouts do you live ??
Over your side of town.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:34 am
Winter hibernator

Over your side of town.
You mean the sunny side !!!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

You mean the sunny side !!!
It was when I first arrived...would rather not say exactly where I am on open board.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:02 pm
Winter hibernator

It was when I first arrived...would rather not say exactly where I am on open board.
UK police still looking for you than

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.