Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to for a warm winter break?

Where to for a warm winter break?

Old May 30th 2018, 1:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Question Where to for a warm winter break?

Really we wanted to return to Bali for a couple of weeks but the weeks we would look at are the height of the season there .
Last time we went out of season and chose our accom well, away from loadsa people so our experience was a good one.

We are looking at end July/ beg August. Maybe a week or two but where?

We've done the islands to death we feel. We had already travelled all over the South Pacific 20 years ago and have returned to Raro etc a couple of times. It is a bit like leaving one gilded cage for another

Oz? Is Cairns any good? Red Centre ? We've travelled around Oz in the past

Where !
Old May 30th 2018, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to for a warm winter break?

Just a bit further, but Thailand and Vietnam are not high season that time of year. Thailand is actually low season, some good bargains to be had at hotels and resorts. Probably same airfare as Bali too.

My experience with Australia is that it is expensive, prohibitively so for anything decent, and the service levels just not very good. Too much like NZ really and I don’t feel like I’ve had a break.
Old May 30th 2018, 1:57 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Another thumbs up for Thailand. Its pretty cheap, food and beer is good, glorious beaches. Some destinations can be very touristy and crowded like Koh Samui or Phuket. Head off to the West Coast to get away from it.

If you are feeling brave, then I would highly recommended the Philippines. Palawan (El Nido) is just jaw droppingly amazing. Or head off to Negros and say hello to Philosophical 11
Old May 30th 2018, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with the Phillipines is you have to transfer in Manila - and it’s not particularly efficient or pleasant.
Old May 30th 2018, 3:17 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Problem with the Phillipines is you have to transfer in Manila - and it’s not particularly efficient or pleasant.
That's why we fly into Cebu. But, yes Manila Airport is hell on earth.
Old May 30th 2018, 3:27 am
`

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Or head off to Negros and say hello to Philosophical 11
Erms.Much as I am sure we would be made very welcome I may forego that experience, fascinating though it could be.
Old May 30th 2018, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

How about Japan
August is high summer there, plenty to see, lots of history and culture..???
Old May 30th 2018, 10:33 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
How about Japan
August is high summer there, plenty to see, lots of history and culture..???
Good thought.
I'll have a mooch
Old May 30th 2018, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I’d avoid Japan in July/August, the heat and humidity is really brutal and it’s not the sort of place with lots of resorts to relax and cool off.

i lived in singapore and it’s worse than that.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

taiwan is pleasant lots to see and do may be in time for early typhoon season@))
Old May 31st 2018, 12:25 am
`

Originally Posted by sr71
I’d avoid Japan in July/August, the heat and humidity is really brutal and it’s not the sort of place with lots of resorts to relax and cool off.

i lived in singapore and it’s worse than that.

Ok. I won't mooch. TBH I don't do brutal heat and humidity very well these years.

Warm , pleasant , able to plonk in a swimming pool without getting frostbite to the extremities.

Bit of interest. Culture. Relax.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you can snag a reasonably priced flight to Bali, there are good accommodation deals to be had around the time you want to go. An example https://www.travelzoo.com/au/hotel-b...m-resort--spa/
Old May 31st 2018, 4:36 am
`

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you can snag a reasonably priced flight to Bali, there are good accommodation deals to be had around the time you want to go. An example https://www.travelzoo.com/au/hotel-b...m-resort--spa/
We've just been speaking abut this again.

The concern is more that it is the height of the season = many more people.
We went in June last time and although very busy in some places, it was bearable.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Ningaloo Reef and Karajini, in the northern part of Western Australia.

Ningaloo is a huge reef system like the Great Barrier Reef, except it is very close to the shore - you just walk into the water and you're there. It stretches like that for hundreds of kilometers.

Four hours away is Karijini National Park, which is an extensive gorge and cliff park with swimming holes all throughout.

From there drive up to Karratha (Murujuga National Park has one of the biggest collections of Aboriginal rock art in Australia) and then up to Broome (Cable Beach).

Fly out to Perth and drive up the coastal road and back the inland road, lots to see on the way as well.

These are all small Outback Australian towns and accommodation can get booked out easily, so book in advance. The base town for Ningaloo is Exmouth and for Karijini, there are two, Tom Price and Newman. Tom Price is closer and nicer. Try to avoid the West Australian school holiday times.

https://www.australiasnorthwest.com/

If cost/time for that is too much, just do what all the Kiwis do and go to the Gold Coast.

Last edited by carcajou; Jun 3rd 2018 at 1:36 am.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

It's still in the 20's here in the day on the Gold Coast..accommodation is so overpriced here though..

I'm going to get the shock of my life going from here to Christchurch mid August!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.