Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

where to take the rellies - wellington

where to take the rellies - wellington

Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default where to take the rellies - wellington

Hi Guys
need some ideas of where to take my folks when they visit at Christmas,
have already compiled a short list

te papa
cable car
botanical gardens
wellington zoo
mount victoria

kapiti cheeses
the olive shop - kapiti
kapiti island

they want me to sort out an itinery for them(!!!) I have sent them some links to tourist websites to see what they fancy doing

Does anyone else have any other ideas, they are here for about 2 weeks

Cheers
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:30 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: where to take the rellies - wellington

Originally Posted by poppets
Hi Guys

te papa
cable car
botanical gardens
wellington zoo
mount victoria

kapiti cheeses
the olive shop - kapiti
kapiti island

they want me to sort out an itinery for them(!!!) I have sent them some links to tourist websites to see what they fancy doing

Cheers
What about the Beehive and old parliment buildings
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:48 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

If they like excitement how about: http://www.skyjump.co.nz/ :scared:
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

The museum is absolutely super duper diddly doo! Honestly,rainy day its perfect.Your parents can colour in loads of pictures of NZ,not to mention scaring them with a real feel earthquake to experience,and there's loads of great places to be incontinent in.
Sport!! Rugby,cricket,rugby etc,and what about the worlds richest beggar-the one with no top and an ipod?? Anyone seen him? Dead funny. Don't get to close though,laugh then run.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys

te papa
cable car
botanical gardens
wellington zoo
mount victoria

kapiti cheeses
the olive shop - kapiti
kapiti island

Cheers
A drive through the Rimutaka Hills on SH2
Brunch at the Chocolate Fish Cafe
Paraparaumu Beach/ Waikanae
A couple of days in Blenheim / Nelson, taking the Ferry across the strait

dont try to drive anywhere on Boxing Day, the roads are clogged.......
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

How about a day at Castle Point or Cape Palliser? Large seal colony at Cape Palliser
A walk along Breakers Bay (nudist beach!)
Makara Bay........a wonderful view of the south island from the top of the hill
Eastbourne
Paua world at Carterton
Vineyards at Martinborough
Lord of the rings tour

Shall try to think of more................
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:49 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys

te papa
cable car
botanical gardens
wellington zoo
mount victoria

kapiti cheeses
the olive shop - kapiti
kapiti island

Cheers
A trip over the Wairarapa is nice for a drive. If you are up to a few nights away, do what I did and visit Palmerston North, Dannevirke, Hastings, Napier, Lake Taupo, Waitomo caves, Rotorua (and Lake Rotorua and Whakarewarewa Maori village), Tauranga / Mt Manganui, Auckland, Whangarei, Hamilton, New Plymouth / Taranaki, and then back to Wellington.

Also, take a train ride through the Hutt etc, and get on and off through the day.

Kapiti island needs a permit from Wellington (but you may know that).
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

days bay cafe for brunch if they visit eastbourne.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

of course, martinbourugh for the wineries, followed by lake ferris
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Hi Guys

te papa
cable car
botanical gardens
wellington zoo
mount victoria

kapiti cheeses
the olive shop - kapiti
kapiti island

Cheers
Otari Native Botanical Gardens in Wilton - great place to learn about kiwi native plants/trees - everything in the formal part of the garden is labelled - also a real feel for native bush, only a few minutes drive from the City centre - there is a circular walk, either side of the Kaiwharawhara stream which takes about 20 minutes - just the right amount of walking for someone who's just got off the plane after 20+ hours - there's also a walkway at bush canopy height which gives an unusual perspective and puts you up amongst the birds.

Karori Wildlife Centre or, if you're going through the Wairarapa, Mt Bruce Wildlife Conservation Centre - feeding time with the Kakas is great!

Museum of City & Sea - used to be called The Maritime Museum but was completely overhauled and has some good multi-media exhibitions - there's a poignant tribute to the Wahine disaster in the 70's - the interisland ferry that foundered in Wellington Heads, with the loss of dozens of lives in the harbour.

Early settler museum on Petone Foreshore - the original city was called Britannia on the banks of the Hutt River - they gave up on the site after several years of being flooded by the river and relocated the city to Thorndon.

Efil Doog - in the Akatarawa Valley/Upper Hutt - rhododendron/azalea gardens with stone and metal sculptures - the owners have put their collection of early NZ water colours on show - they also have an amazing bonsai collection.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Take them to the airport!!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Shell2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: where to take the rellies - wellington

Hi Guys

te papa
cable car
botanical gardens
wellington zoo
mount victoria

kapiti cheeses
the olive shop - kapiti
kapiti island

Cheers
Try driving over the Paekakariki Hill when going to the Kapiti Coast. Fantastic view from the top - bit scary though!