Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in LA?

Where to stay in LA?

Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Where to stay in LA?

I have finally booked one-way flights for myself and 2 sons (14 and 10) for 3 weeks time. My mum and son fly out at the end of September, followed by my husband and daughter in November/December. We feel like royalty, not flying together!

Any suggestion of where to stay and what to do in LA for 3 nights before the final leg of our journey, to begin our new lives in New Zealand?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

peter1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to stay in LA?

South Central ... Compton or Inglewood... Some nice places around there.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

SEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really niceSEAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
I have finally booked one-way flights for myself and 2 sons (14 and 10) for 3 weeks time. My mum and son fly out at the end of September, followed by my husband and daughter in November/December. We feel like royalty, not flying together!

Any suggestion of where to stay and what to do in LA for 3 nights before the final leg of our journey, to begin our new lives in New Zealand?
It depends on your budget and plans really. I usually try to stay in North Hollywood when I'm in L.A as I find this area to be close to most major attractions and you can easily get on the 101 Freeway very easily and I-10 is pretty close as well. If you're just looking for a transit hotel near the airport, Radisson SAS is very good in my opinion.

You said you're sons will follow so I'm thinking North Hollywood is a good place to be located, also this will get you to Universal Studios in 5-10 minutes either by car or subway (Subway station is just outside Highland Center on Hollywood). Although I assume you'll have access to a car for you stay in L.A.

Check out hotels on North Highland Avenue (Best Western Hollywood Plaza, for instance) there a several hotels on this street on near this area. Most 2-3+ star hotels on this street is quite affordable considering the location. Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is another good one located just opposite Mann's and Highland (basically located on the walk of fame) center but it's pretty expensive nowadays.

Anyway if you're on North Highland Ave or n that area you'll have a 2-5 minute walk to Mann's, Walk Of Fame, Highland Center and Sunset Strip etc etc. Universal and Hollywood Bowl 5-10 minutes away and Santa Monica and Venice beach is fairly close car ride away. Griffith Park (highly recommended btw) is probably a 5-10 minute drive as well.

Andy
Old Aug 18th 2006, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

If you fancy something a bit different - when we travelled last year we stayed on the Queen Mary at Long Beach. The ship is just how it would have been years ago and to be honest its also one of the cheapest places to stay but full of style. Well worth it for something different!

Judy
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

Hi, We have been living in NZ for the past 8 months but are going back to England for a wedding in 4 weeks time. We have decided to do a direct flight over but stop in LA on the way back to NZ. could you please tell me if there is a bus from LA airport to the Disney area or do we need to hire a car. Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maysie
Hi, We have been living in NZ for the past 8 months but are going back to England for a wedding in 4 weeks time. We have decided to do a direct flight over but stop in LA on the way back to NZ. could you please tell me if there is a bus from LA airport to the Disney area or do we need to hire a car. Thanks
That I remember-there was courtesy busses from everywhere-email Disney,they'll let you know. Most of the major hotels have them,so you shouldn't have any probs.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

Thanks mate. How far away from the airport is Disney?
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know where to stay but dont stay in Santa Monica. Our hotel was in an industrial area.... nothing to do and nothing to see. Nice beach a couple miles away and some good shopping near the beach....nothing else.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by maysie
Thanks mate. How far away from the airport is Disney?
Anaheim Which is where Disneyland is situated is about a 45 minute drive from the airport, if there are no traffic jams. Most hotels in that area provide courtesy buses, or alternatively shuttles are always available outside the airport. We paid about 60 US dollars for a one way trip (family of 5). I would recommend going to Disney California as well (which is located opposite Disneyland). Hope this helps.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda
Anaheim Which is where Disneyland is situated is about a 45 minute drive from the airport, if there are no traffic jams. Most hotels in that area provide courtesy buses, or alternatively shuttles are always available outside the airport. We paid about 60 US dollars for a one way trip (family of 5). I would recommend going to Disney California as well (which is located opposite Disneyland). Hope this helps.
We got a 2 day pass and went Universal studios, the kids (and the adults loved it). Our kids were 2, 7 and 8 at the time but there are attractions for all age ranges - stayed in a nice hotel but can't remember the name - will ask Danny and get back,
Donna
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

mike vernon is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Liz and Co,
I cant recommend any places in LA to stay there are a lot of dodgy places, a friend of mine came to visit me over there back in 2002 and he stayed at the Remada plaza hotel i think its on Sunset Boulevard or Hollywood boulevard they run parrallel to each other he said it was ok but the decor was a bit Austin powers! and its in the Gay distict although he insists he straight?? Places to visit Universal Studios and Universal City walks which has a Hard Rock Cafe, Warner Brothers Studios which is down the road, La Brea tar pits if you are into sabre tooth tigers thats down town LA, Santa Monica and Venice beach,if you like hot dogs go to Pinky's they are famous and a lot of movie stars go to eat there, oh and the walk of fame and chinese theatre on Hollywood Boulevard.one word of advice try to not look like a tourist when you are walking around, i have been in LA to work twice and never had a problem found all the locals to be friendly and helpfull but i did try to blend in as much as possible.

hope this helps, mike v
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at Long Beach( we had a week), at Hyatt Hotel, which was very nice. There's plenty to see and do, Queen Mary Ship, Aquarium, Boat trips, Beaches and local bus travel is free. Taxi from the airport to hotel cost $40 & tip. Food was excellent and cheap, shopping good and also cheap. We found everyone to be helpful & friendly and everywhere is child friendly. We took a day tour into LA / Hollywood - not impressed, most of it looked fairly run down, but we would go back to Long Beach.