Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in AKL on arrival?

Where to stay in AKL on arrival?

Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura about
Question Where to stay in AKL on arrival?

Hi All,

We arrive AKL mid Jan and I start work Manukau 29th Jan. We need to sort out somewhere to stay (say 2 weeks) while we look at rentals.

Any sensible suggestions?

What did you do? or, How did you do it?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to stay in AKL on arrival?

Originally Posted by Hotpots
Hi All,

We arrive AKL mid Jan and I start work Manukau 29th Jan. We need to sort out somewhere to stay (say 2 weeks) while we look at rentals.

We stayed in both hostels and motels, both worked for us. Depends on your age and mindset I suppose. Hostels are good for meeting folk but you do have to accept that they are not the most peaceful of places. Motels are and not too expensive. We got a couple of good deals when we said we were staying for a few days.

We found getting a rental was easy and were moved in 2 days after we started looking.

Good luck, relax and enjoy it. It's never as hard as you think!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hotpots
Hi All,

hi hotpots,your coming to our neck of the woods.....

if you need anyplace checked out send us the info and we can go and see it for you...what area are you looking to settle in,

do you have kids,will you need to consider schools,
what is it you will be doing (workwise) when you arrive...

glad to help anyway we can...jacky
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Hotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the offer Jacky.

We are aiming for that area (hopefully avoiding the violence, having read your earlier thread)

No schools to sort , two young adults to please though. Well, one anyway, the eldest is unlikely to stay in NZ. Neither are coming with us in Jan, youngest in April (after a gap trip to Africa) and eldest after graduation in July/August.

We have been looking at houses online but of course you don't get a feel for the area. So, We arrive on the 14th Jan to get sorted by the 29th (when I start work). We are not buying immediately ~ our house has not sold in the UK . We are looking to rent for six months to make sure that the area is right for us before we buy. The difficult bit will be getting the balance right for an 18 yr old. Hubby is coming back in Feb, unless a miracle occurs and we can get things sorted.

I don't want a long commute ~ I drive to work now and it takes between 45-90 mins depending on when I set off. I'm moving for a better quality of life so I want the home/work balance back in my favour. Not asking for much then eh ?

I think the difficulty may be finding somewhere to stay from the off. I thought about trying to get a hotel in Manukau for a week to give us real feel for the place.

Sorry to ramble ~ I'm going to get on with some more sorting now.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi Hotpots, thats our area too. We have been renting in Bucklands Beach for 12 months. We managed to sort our rental from the UK, which was very lucky for us cause our lovely landlady also picked us up from the airport and lent us a car for our first week here. Upon immediate arrival we stayed here http://www.waterfrontchalets.co.nz/ for 5 days. Lovely place right by the water. We needed some time to buy furniture and essentials for our rental and it worked fine. Will you be working in Manukau city? From where we live you would probably be looking at a half hour drive to there in rush hour, good straightforward run really. You need any help, advice on areas, or any other stuff just yell. Will gladly help where I can. Carol.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

anwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
Hi Hotpots, thats our area too. We have been renting in Bucklands Beach for 12 months. We managed to sort our rental from the UK, which was very lucky for us cause our lovely landlady also picked us up from the airport and lent us a car for our first week here. Upon immediate arrival we stayed here http://www.waterfrontchalets.co.nz/ for 5 days. Lovely place right by the water. We needed some time to buy furniture and essentials for our rental and it worked fine. Will you be working in Manukau city? From where we live you would probably be looking at a half hour drive to there in rush hour, good straightforward run really. You need any help, advice on areas, or any other stuff just yell. Will gladly help where I can. Carol.

Hi,

Just reading through the treads and your reply interested me as we are coming over to NZ early Feb '08, and are looking to rent a property in Bucklands Beach. Have been looking on the interest for rental property, it seems to be very expensive to rent in NZ.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anwanti
Hi,

Just reading through the treads and your reply interested me as we are coming over to NZ early Feb '08, and are looking to rent a property in Bucklands Beach. Have been looking on the interest for rental property, it seems to be very expensive to rent in NZ.
Hi anwanti, I dont think that all of New Zealand is expensive. Auckland seems to be, in general. Bucklands Beach is quite a desirable area with people who want to be in the Macleans College zone. I think some landlords take the mick with what they charge. Also, lots of houses here have sea views as we are on a small peninsular, so this prob adds to the rental charges too. Carol