Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to start first

Where to start first

Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

r8ch.g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start first

As mentioned in my introduction post my OH is an elecrtical engineer/sparky/fitter in food manufacturing(we live near a fishing port) and we are looking to make the big move to NZ, but where do we start!! His certificates are all BTec and City and Guilds ,he started his apprentiship at this company at 17 and is now 36 so has been doing this a long time .

Do we apply for EOI (i think we have around 120 points) first
should we get his cetifictes recognised by NZ or
register with the NZ electricians board first.

I am a TA in a local secondary school (level 2 NVQ) so he would be the one that would be applying for the visa.We have set ourselves a target of 2 years to do this.Also would it be easier to see if he could get a job over there and do it that way.
Hope someone can help with my questions , OH is away at the mo and i said i would try to find out what i could ,but i'm sooo confused with all the different information

Rachael
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice
Default Re: Where to start first

Hi Rachael,
Im not sure which way round is the right way to go but we did the getting hubbys qualification checked first, he viewed it that if they scored them badly then he wouldnt go any further.

But we are hopefully close now to our final discission, there will be lots of questions throughout the process and I have found everyone here very friendly and helpful and no question has ever gone unanswered.

Im sure someone here will be able to guide you better.

Wish you all the best along the very LONG and bumpy road.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by r8ch.g
As mentioned in my introduction post my OH is an elecrtical engineer/sparky/fitter in food manufacturing(we live near a fishing port) and we are looking to make the big move to NZ, but where do we start!! His certificates are all BTec and City and Guilds ,he started his apprentiship at this company at 17 and is now 36 so has been doing this a long time .

I am a TA in a local secondary school (level 2 NVQ) so he would be the one that would be applying for the visa.We have set ourselves a target of 2 years to do this.Also would it be easier to see if he could get a job over there and do it that way.
Hope someone can help with my questions , OH is away at the mo and i said i would try to find out what i could ,but i'm sooo confused with all the different information

Rachael
Hi Rachael,

Both dh and I are teachers and we had our qualifications recognised and registered to teach in NZ first - you are more likely to get your EOI picked if you do this, I would imagine. However, I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will be along soon!

Good luck
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:22 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

I agree get your husbands electrical qualifications looked at.Go to www.ewrb.govt.nz. they have an overseas section that details what it is that makes you a sparky here.

What you need to do is put together as much info (cant have to much!) regarding your husbands past qualies,where he trained,who he has worked for etc.

Get refferences ask employers (if possible) and put AS MUCH info as possible together.said that again!

his lenght of service will make up for any lack of paper qualies providing he is registered as an electrician in the UK and can prove what he has/is doing.

The road is long but is totaly doable just have to follow the rules and stick with it. the rules might not seem fair but they are the rules so play the game and you will be fine.

Where are you thinking of heading? I run a company that installs heat pumps/air con and we also employ electrician and are looking into expanding that side? we are in Dunedin so who knows keep in touch as I could well have a job going next year.

I would say the best way if atall possible is to gain PR without a job offer IF POSSIBLE as this frees you up to go where you want,having said that unless its changed as im no expert we only had to stay in the first job for 3 months then we could change and do whatever job we wanted.

if you need any advice help please ask away and I will do what I can to help

cheers

george,toni,emma,katie,beck and lucy
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

r8ch.g is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your great replys,have been looking at the EWRB site tonight ,hubby is not home till Friday night so i will get him to check it out over the weekend, he will understand it better than me... it certainly looks like that needs to be the first 'conquest'. George toni... we have looked at the south of the NZ so Dunedin could be an option for us , thanks sooo much for all your replies and George Toni i'm sure there are going to be many more questions,so many thanks for your offer of help xx
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:23 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

no probs thats what this site is all about.

As long as you base all this info as advice and carry on reasearching as much as possible you will be fine.

It will seem endless the PR thing but when you get here you will look back and realise that in fact it was a walk in the park compared to the adventure of living here.

Im very pro Dunedin but please dont take my word for it as others here will say its a dump and voice a view on there particular place.

Again that is really great as you need as much good and bad points to help you make a choice and I would say take it all on board and go with what you think will be right for you as a family.

And feel free to ask all sorts of questions no matter how silly they might seem as when we went through this I even wanted to know the price of baked beans!

good luck and speak soon

george
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by george toni
no probs thats what this site is all about
Yes it is.

Originally Posted by george toni
And feel free to ask all sorts of questions no matter how silly they might seem as when we went through this I even wanted to know the price of baked beans!
I remember asking things like that too.

Kia Ora from New Zealand r8ch.g and welcome to this little NZ forum

As George has said, please feel free to ask away. someone will be along to try and help if they can.

Maybe start a Sparky thread on the main NZ forum too.

As the others have suggested. Contact the EWRB first and get the ball rolling towards EWRB NZ registration. This will also show that his trade quals and skills are recognised by the EWRB of NZ.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

Hi,

I'm a TA also, apparantly they don't recognise NVQ at level 2, but do for level 3 if it is relevant to a job you have obtained from the skills list, and unfortunatley TA is not on that list.

It really p****d me off as I worked my butt off to get my level 3.

Dawn X
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I worked as a TA aswell in England. Unfortunately, I've found it's nowhere near as easy to get a TA job here. They are generally only assigned to individual students, not classes like in the UK so by comparison are few and far between. I haven't seen any positions advertised since I've been here - there are none currently on seek.co.nz anywhere in NZ!

Check out: http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J80178

Someone who's working as a TA in NZ may be able to give us more information and let us know how you can get a TA job in NZ. I suspect these sort of jobs are gained in NZ by who you know not what you know, but I could be wrong.

If your application is from your husband, then at least it gives to you time to get over and then look into work.

Good luck with your application. I love it here and I'm going to concentrate of doing my degree, but a TA job on the side would be great!