British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where to start? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-start-928805/)

XJSR Oct 25th 2019 12:20 am

Where to start?

Hello all,

I am looking to make the move to NZ with my partner but I am looking for some sage advice on where to even start. I am 27 and currently employed in the UK as an electrical maintenance engineer in the food Industry. My partner is coming over on a work travel visa but I was hoping I could squeeze in on a skills shortage visa or skilled worker if I fit the points.

My main question is where do I get started? I would love to have secured some interviews or even contacts before I come over for a holiday early next year, but I am unsure if I should be contacting agencies with my CV as is. Or if I should jump start the process with converting my current UK qualifications to NZQA via an IQA before people will even consider me?

I've scoured the job sites and instead of just sticking my CV I sent out emails to the recruiters about my current position but so far I've not had much of a response.

MrsFychan Oct 25th 2019 11:15 pm

Re: Where to start?

https://skillshortages.immigration.g...ing-technician

you would need to check that you have the relevant qualifications, I believe you may have to get your registration in place before anyone could offer you a position.
As your partner is here on just a WHV so cannot take up full time employment what are their intentions once that has expired and as such what would yours be? If you do not intend to stay it may be most cost effective just for yourself to get a WHV.

PittwaterPrincess Nov 30th 2019 6:23 am

Originally Posted by XJSR (Post 12753695)
I've scoured the job sites and instead of just sticking my CV I sent out emails to the recruiters about my current position but so far I've not had much of a response.

:)

Honestly don't bother.

You are unlikely to get decent responses whilst you are overseas.

You will have a better response once you are actually in the country

And even then, I would take many of them as a "pinch of salt"

(I hate recruitment agencies - can you tell?) :)

The best jobs are often secured via "word of mouth" or via a good old fashioned newspaper, or private advertiser on Seek

I HATE recruitment agencies......they are up there with used car salesmen and real estate agents on the honesty scale

BEVS Dec 1st 2019 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess (Post 12771673)

Honestly don't bother.

You are unlikely to get decent responses whilst you are overseas.

You will have a better response once you are actually in the country

And even then, I would take many of them as a "pinch of salt"

(I hate recruitment agencies - can you tell?) :)

The best jobs are often secured via "word of mouth" or via a good old fashioned newspaper, or private advertiser on Seek

I HATE recruitment agencies......they are up there with used car salesmen and real estate agents on the honesty scale

Correct me if I am wrong but you don't actually live in New Zealand do you, nor have you emigrated from the UK to New Zealand under the SMC policy.

Further the opening poster hasn't been back to this thread since the end of October.

Not all recruitment agencies are equal and there is one I can think of that is an NZIS accredited employer with active knowledge of recruitment drives overseas (UK).

Whilst it always pays to have boots on ground to gain and take up employment offers, the advice to not at all both is not helpful at all.

PittwaterPrincess Dec 15th 2019 6:10 am

Originally Posted by XJSR (Post 12753695)

Helllo

Speaking from personal experience (which no doubt BEVS will pooh-pooh and shoot down!), I have always found it easier to get a job once you are in the actual country.

In my previous job, I had to go through emails, applications and CVs, and was instructed to ignore any from overseas (unless the candidate was exceptionally excellent and worth headhunting - which only happened once in 15 years). The only people we contacted where people who could come in for an interview that very week.

My other suggestion is, many people are far too rigid in their expectations. Try to be more flexible and consider taking a job you may not really want in a different field, so you can earn some money, make some networking contacts, whilst you look for your dream job. Another option is volunteering (work experience) to get-your-foot-in-the-door.

Anyway can only speak from my own experiences.

Good luck

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12772439)
Correct me if I am wrong but you don't actually live in New Zealand do you.

Mmmmmm

Well you are right....and wrong.

I don't currently live in NZ. But I use to live and work there, and plan to return to retire there.

But more to the point, why would my work experiences not be valid?

The whole point of a forum (I thought) was to share ideas and experiences, and "maybe" someone else would benefit from them. Then again maybe they won't. But surely that is for them to decide.

Take what you will and leave the rest

:eek:

BEVS Dec 15th 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess (Post 12778966)
Mmmmmm

But more to the point, why would my work experiences not be valid?
:

Because that will not help the OP in this case, somewhat misleads and gives something of a false hope. When it comes to immigration matters and visa BE keeps it straight,
Please read his opening post and then look through the New Zealand immigration website at the visa policies .

Boots on ground certainly helps. To have boots on ground one needs the right visa.

However for a work visa it needs to be that the qualifications and work experience matches the occupation of any job offer concerned. It also needs to pass the Dept of Labour test. An exception to this is the young working holiday visa which allows short bursts of seasonal work.

As I have previously written, it is lovely if you wish to help but please do try to keep to visa facts . Check out policies and criteria before making suggestions that will not apply . Your personal anecdotes are just that and only relevant to you.

This poster is looking to the SMC. Many of us here in NZ emigrated under that policy . We know what is involved and the criteria. From what you write , you do not.

BEVS Dec 15th 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess (Post 12778965)
My other suggestion is, many people are far too rigid in their expectations. Try to be more flexible and consider taking a job you may not really want in a different field, so you can earn some money, make some networking contacts, whilst you look for your dream job.

I have explained why that is not a goer at all.

Another option is volunteering (work experience) to get-your-foot-in-the-door.
This neither although BUNAC might be an option for him to return to NZ if he is too old for a WHV.

Timmy Chch Dec 15th 2019 11:21 pm

He's 27, WHV be fine