Where to start !!

Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

badabing14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start !!

Hi,
Please can anyone advise me where to start on trying to emigrate to NZ when it seems you do not stand much of a chance.
I work in construction civils/roadworks mainly as a skilled labourer (not a tradesman just a bit of a jack of all) however the usual route into NZ is not really going to happen for me so it seems. I have been in contact with an agent who at the moment is advising me to go to OZ on a student visa and take a trade course in bricklaying or plastering and after 2 years you will get a visa to take up PR then I will be able to go to NZ but really to move to the other side of the world your only going to move once or at least I hope so.
Does anyone have information on these courses I have read a few posts but not had to much luck getting conclusive evidence.

Should I try contacting a big construction firm such as Fulton Hogan and trying to sell myself or would the training course be my only real option as this agent suggests?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:10 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to start !!

Originally Posted by badabing14
Hi,
Please can anyone advise me where to start on trying to emigrate to NZ when it seems you do not stand much of a chance.
I work in construction civils/roadworks mainly as a skilled labourer (not a tradesman just a bit of a jack of all) however the usual route into NZ is not really going to happen for me so it seems. I have been in contact with an agent who at the moment is advising me to go to OZ on a student visa and take a trade course in bricklaying or plastering and after 2 years you will get a visa to take up PR then I will be able to go to NZ but really to move to the other side of the world your only going to move once or at least I hope so.
Does anyone have information on these courses I have read a few posts but not had to much luck getting conclusive evidence.

Should I try contacting a big construction firm such as Fulton Hogan and trying to sell myself or would the training course be my only real option as this agent suggests?

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum.
First thing to do is ditch the agent. Finding this forum will save you heaps
I don't know anything about the roading industry but NZ seems to be crying out for people in that trade. How long have you been in the trade? And have you looked at the ANZSCO website to see if you can claim experience over qualifications. Also register with NZIS to start filling out an online EOI(Expression of Interest). It doesn't cost to register and is the most accurate way of checking your points. As and when you get enough points pay the money and send it in.
Keep posting your questions on here and you will not need an agent. There is little if nothing that you won't be able to sort yourself witha little help from this community.
Best of luck

Martin
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks in advance
Hi

If you want any advice PM my hubby, he works at FH as a Contracts Manager
he is in the Roading side of it. Always looking for good labourers!

Fulton Hogan are an approved work sponsor. You could contact Matt Pontin - his e-mail is [email protected] he is the Recruitment Manager for FH.

Good Luck

Ju
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Julie that would be great.
Been looking at FH website they seem to have lots of big projects on.

Thanks Martin agent does not inspire me with confidence and sounds expensive.

kev
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Julie that would be great.
Been looking at FH website they seem to have lots of big projects on.

Thanks Martin agent does not inspire me with confidence and sounds expensive.

kev
Yes, Fulton Hogan are busy digging up many roads around Wellington just now, plenty of work on

You could also look at Brian Perry , Higgins or with the jobs bit for Fletcher Building, who are the parent company for Fletcher Construction, who I work for Oh, though Brian Perry are also part of Fletchers...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you wish to emigrate permanently to New Zealand then being a labourer is not going to allow you to do that. It will just allow you to come and work here on a temporary work permit and visa. To that end I can actually see where the agent is coming from. He is advising that you look for a skill that NZ wants.

Should I try contacting a big construction firm such as Fulton Hogan and trying to sell myself
Fulton Hogan are an approved work sponsor
Never say never. Try this first. If you are wanting to actually come to live & work permanently in NZ then Fulton Hogan should offer you an annual salary of $50K per annum for around a 40 hour week. With that you can go for the Work to Residence policy.

If you cannot get $50K , then do try to get at least a managerial/site foreman position. You may be able to swing it.

What best describes your occupation from THIS LIST

Re-training I a skill that NZ wants is a way into NZ if you have the patience and time.
Most of the trades are wanted to varying degrees..
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:24 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marjol
First thing to do is ditch the agent. Finding this forum will save you heaps
Hopefully that advice was meant a bit flippantly, as good agents do come in handy when the points are not there, or when it all gets a bit complex.

There's plenty of work about for good labourers, but when it comes down to it, NZ's immigration policy is about attracting skilled migrants for positions that are otherwise difficult to fill.

I'm also not sure that moving to a third country to gain skills to get into your preferred destination is the best bit of advice you'll ever receive. I'd explore upskilling either in the UK, or in NZ (if thats possible on a work permit?????).

Plan B - get yourself down the pub, find a kiwi lass and marry the girl.

All the best.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Plan B - get yourself down the pub, find a kiwi lass and marry the girl.

Not sure the wife would agree to that plan.
Thanks for all the advice though guys n gals
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks in advance
You can also try Works Infrastructure.
IMO it makes no sense to go to aus to train if you want to go to NZ eventually. If you do find you need to (re)train then plan on doing it in NZ from the start. However, no harm in trying to get a temp job with one of th ebig construction companies, who may be able to assist you with training if you prove to be a valuabel asset.

good luck....