Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where should we live in Wellington?

Where should we live in Wellington?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:01 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where should we live in Wellington?

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Khandallah is nice. Located to the north of the city in the hills but not to far from city centre. In the right place you have some fantastic views of Wellington but this usually comes with a high price.

Good train and bus links into town. Unsure of school zoning though.
bloody windy though.

and under the flight path. every quarter of an hour a plane went over, and my daughter became too frightened to go in the garden for fear of being blown over. I had the car boot come down on my head, and the door shut on my leg. On most days (during my 8 week period living there, december - january) needed two hands to open the car door; to either push it open against the wind, or pull it shut!!

We were on homebush road which overlooked the harbour and was a stunning place. Perhaps we were more exposed than some other areas of khandallah? I dont know.

I liked it there but much happier where we are now in Papakowhai.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:47 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreamfish
bloody windy though.

and under the flight path. every quarter of an hour a plane went over, and my daughter became too frightened to go in the garden for fear of being blown over. I had the car boot come down on my head, and the door shut on my leg. On most days (during my 8 week period living there, december - january) needed two hands to open the car door; to either push it open against the wind, or pull it shut!!

We were on homebush road which overlooked the harbour and was a stunning place. Perhaps we were more exposed than some other areas of khandallah? I dont know.

I liked it there but much happier where we are now in Papakowhai.
Saying that anywhere on a hill in Wellington and it's windy, oh hang on .... anywhere in Wellington is windy

Better postcode though in Khandallah.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Saying that anywhere on a hill in Wellington and it's windy, oh hang on .... anywhere in Wellington is windy

Better postcode though in Khandallah.
Apparently not true any more. Anyone want to hazard a guess where house prices rose faster than anywhere else in Wellington?
Yup. Ask the Posse!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Apparently not true any more. Anyone want to hazard a guess where house prices rose faster than anywhere else in Wellington?
Yup. Ask the Posse!!
I do hear they are going down now Dan, something to do with a scouser and a karaoke machine...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
I do hear they are going down now Dan, something to do with a scouser and a karaoke machine...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:59 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danny.f
Yup. Ask the Posse!!
Supposing that is more to do with the houses in Whitby and a sudden influx of "rich" immigrants than . IMO Khandallah, city side views, is one of the best places to live in Wellington. This also applies to Roseneath.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:16 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

IMO Khandallah, city side views, is one of the best places to live in Wellington. This also applies to Roseneath.
I'd say Khandallah might have the edge. Roseneath has a slightly better view of the city but it's full of wankers. Khandallah is also better located for the 'motorway'.

But again, Wellington being such a small city means that almost anywhere is ok.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Avid
I'd say Khandallah might have the edge. Roseneath has a slightly better view of the city but it's full of wankers. Khandallah is also better located for the 'motorway'.

But again, Wellington being such a small city means that almost anywhere is ok.
I thought everywhere was full of wankers. Kandallah is lovely though. As long as we're all happy.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:02 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Supposing that is more to do with the houses in Whitby and a sudden influx of "rich" immigrants <snip>
I'm sure the ongoing construction in Aotea has quite a lot to do with keeping the values up, too. Some of the prices I've seen being asked are just insane but of course the price comes down a little and after they've been on the market for what seems like forever, they do eventually sell for about $50K less than they're on the market for, but the average is still being pushed up from them.