Reload this Page >

Where to settle in northern south island

Where to settle in northern south island

Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

athena88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to settle in northern south island

Hello all,
my family will be coming to NZ near the end of this year and we are keen to settle in the south island.
We are considering settling in the nelson/tasman area and have been looking at small businesses to buy.
What advice can anyone give me about this region, is it a good place to live in? we have small children so finding a good school is high on my list of priorities, as are business opportunities for me and my husband. We want a good family lifestyle not a huge income (which is just as well from what ive read today).

Last edited by athena88; Jan 29th 2008 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:11 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Where to settle in northern south island

If you are into erm...herbal products you may want to look at the Golden Bay area.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a feeling Bevs might be along in a minute
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:51 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by athena88
Hello all,
my family will be coming to NZ near the end of this year and we are keen to settle in the south island.
We are considering settling in the nelson/tasman area and have been looking at small businesses to buy.
What advice can anyone give me about this region, is it a good place to live in? we have small children so finding a good school is high on my list of priorities, as are business opportunities for me and my husband. We want a good family lifestyle not a huge income (which is just as well from what ive read today).
We moved to Nelson about 15 months ago and love it. Spent a year in Wellington before that but are very glad to be on sth island now. Brought in central Nelson and my wife has set her own business up here. I have just finished a free 1 year business course and we are now looking for premises to set up together. Nelson is a lovely city and the tasman area is fantastic. Feel free to ask any specific questions and i will try to help.
Darren
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:57 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are waving the flag for Marlborough!

Sunniest place in NZ, lowest unemployment, great (I mean really amazing) outdoors lifestyle, affordable housing, beautiful scenery, Marlborough Sounds, Kaikoura, Nelson a hour away (ish), the wineries, plenty of lifestyle oppertunites (vineyards, olive groves, small holdings, backpackers etc).

Seems to be off most peoples radar scope when coming to NZ.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's a great place, you just need to get the job you want!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
We moved to Nelson about 15 months ago and love it. Spent a year in Wellington before that but are very glad to be on sth island now. Brought in central Nelson and my wife has set her own business up here. I have just finished a free 1 year business course and we are now looking for premises to set up together. Nelson is a lovely city and the tasman area is fantastic. Feel free to ask any specific questions and i will try to help.
Darren
hi
thanks for the positive feedback we did look into nelson but were worried that it might be a bit more expensive to buy a business so we have started looking at motueka do you know anything about this town? we are open minded as long as our kids are happy and we can pay the bills were happy, so if you have any suggestions about nice area's that aren't to expensive then that would be great. how did you get info on the free course you did, I bet my hubby would be very interested in that.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We live in Mapua, halfway between Nelson and Motueka. Have been here over 3 1/2 years now. Husband is a plumber so that is how we came here.

Much depends on what sort of business you want to buy in a way. Out of interest, what sort of visa are you thinking to come out on.

Motueka is not the smart looking place that Nelson is, with its hanging baskets and boutique shops . Nor is it functional suburbia like Richmond. Motueka is small town New Zealand. It has everything you need.

I can't really advise on schools . Link to schools
decile ratings go from 1 to 10.

Motueka is a gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park. It'll hum in summer with back-packers , trekkers and those passing through on their way to holiday in the National Park. In winter it's quieter and left to the locals for the most part.

Motueka is more of a locals town. It also has a fair share of 'new age' type of people that use it. Property will be cheaper there, although watch out for leasehold & there are some rather lovely properties about. Motueka is thriving in its own way. There are a couple of new sub-divisions for new houses going on right now.

It has one high street & two supermarkets. New World and Fresh Choice. There are an assortment of shops, cafes etc

Drive times from Nelson to Motueka is around 40 minutes for ease.
Richmond - Motueka is 30 minutes.

The whole area is a wonderful place IMHO for families to bring up their children. The weather is pretty even, so you are looking at hot and sunny in the summer. Overnight ground frosts but sunny days in the Winter. We do have rain , but we need that.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers

Sunniest place in NZ, lowest unemployment, great (I mean really amazing) outdoors lifestyle, affordable housing, beautiful scenery, Marlborough Sounds, Kaikoura, Nelson a hour away (ish), the wineries, plenty of lifestyle oppertunites (vineyards, olive groves, small holdings, backpackers etc).

How many more times do I need to tell you

WE'RE FULL!!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
How many more times do I need to tell you

WE'RE FULL!!!!!
no no, it sounds so beautiful, dont hog it! I'm happy where I am at the moment but lately we have been talking about where next. You might have to make some room
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BEVS here
We live in Mapua, halfway between Nelson and Motueka. Have been here over 3 1/2 years now. Husband is a plumber so that is how we came here.

Much depends on what sort of business you want to buy in a way. Out of interest, what sort of visa are you thinking to come out on.

Motueka is not the smart looking place that Nelson is, with its hanging baskets and boutique shops . Nor is it functional suburbia like Richmond. Motueka is small town New Zealand. It has everything you need.

I can't really advise on schools . Link to schools
decile ratings go from 1 to 10.

Motueka is a gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park. It'll hum in summer with back-packers , trekkers and those passing through on their way to holiday in the National Park. In winter it's quieter and left to the locals for the most part.

Motueka is more of a locals town. It also has a fair share of 'new age' type of people that use it. Property will be cheaper there, although watch out for leasehold & there are some rather lovely properties about. Motueka is thriving in its own way. There are a couple of new sub-divisions for new houses going on right now.

It has one high street & two supermarkets. New World and Fresh Choice. There are an assortment of shops, cafes etc

Drive times from Nelson to Motueka is around 40 minutes for ease.
Richmond - Motueka is 30 minutes.

The whole area is a wonderful place IMHO for families to bring up their children. The weather is pretty even, so you are looking at hot and sunny in the summer. Overnight ground frosts but sunny days in the Winter. We do have rain , but we need that.
thanks so much for the info it was really good to hear your opnion on the place. the visa im coming out on is under the family quota, my hubby is a kiwi so he's my sponser and both the kids have nz passports so its reasonably easy for us to come out to nz. were hoping to get some sort of cafe type business as my hubby is a catering manager but we will have to see if anything comes up he's gonna get a job lined up before we come out if possible. at the moment were busy getting our house nice to put on the market and we hope o be in nz by the end of this year fingers crossed.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The right cafe, especially if it is family friendly should do well in all areas of Nelson and Bays.

I agree with the idea of your husband taking up a job first so he can get a feel for the catering trends.

Have you been to the area at all?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:37 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by athena88
thanks so much for the info it was really good to hear your opnion on the place. the visa im coming out on is under the family quota, my hubby is a kiwi so he's my sponser and both the kids have nz passports so its reasonably easy for us to come out to nz. were hoping to get some sort of cafe type business as my hubby is a catering manager but we will have to see if anything comes up he's gonna get a job lined up before we come out if possible. at the moment were busy getting our house nice to put on the market and we hope o be in nz by the end of this year fingers crossed.
Hi am Catering Manager as well so if I can help.... Whole of NZ very short on experienced managers and chefs.
Darren
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Hi am Catering Manager as well so if I can help.... Whole of NZ very short on experienced managers and chefs.
Darren
Thats good news for us if you know of any catering employment agencies around the nelson /tasman area that my hubby could get in contact with then that would be great.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

We have seen your flag and can't wait to come!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Beachcombers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.