British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where to settle? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-settle-596696/)

yorkshire_sparkie Mar 10th 2009 7:54 pm

Where to settle?

Hi again

We have been thinking about our plans move to NZ... We had always thought about going to the North Shore of Auckland. I am now wondering if we should look elsewhere. OH is an electrician so I assume he's going to bring home an average wage and I will try and find some part time admin work. We want to spend time together as a family and enjoy the outdoors.

It got me thinking, would we be living on a VERY tight budget if we lived in Auckland (would it be like living in London UK price wise)? I am not expecting to make millions but I want to enjoy life and not be scrimping for $$

I looked on Trade me for rented houses and for the same money as in Auckland, you could get much bigger, nicer houses for your money in other area's?

Does anyone have any advice on area's close enough to Auckland to travel in and see friends but far enough out for cheaper living??? Also what are the job prospects like outside of Auckland for an electrician???? Plus if we lived in Auckland I would prob want to live in North Shore or West Auckland! Are those area's expensive??

I wanted to arrive, rent for 6mths on the north shore and then look round to select an area to buy in BUT then I started to think about my son (6yrs). Would it be fair to drag him to Auckland, away from his friends, settle him into a new school on the North Shore and then after 6-12mths drag him off again to start over somewhere else???? Sorry if I am rambling :unsure:

sparkie down under Mar 10th 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Where to settle?

hi yorkshire sparkie

On a personal note I wouldn't live in Auckland if you paid me, or anywhere around it for that matter. But hey I chose to live in central plateau when we got, (cos of work), so heyhoo.

Don't know about Auckland but building work south of Taupo has all but stopped. (and over night almost). Everyone is sitting on their hands. I was subbing to three companies and it all dried up in a matter of weeks.

New Plymouth seems to have a few jobs going, but NP is like Gisbourne. It's on the edge and you go there cos you are going there. (next stop, the sea).

Wellington seems to be slow at the moment.

Christchurch always seems to want trades - now I wonder why. Have you thought about moving to Scotland - no! then why would you move to Christchurch.

Oh and wages - mate prepare for a shocker.

How are you getting on with the bunch of wankers at the EWRB? Hate 'em (and still have problems with them)

All the best mate

BEVS Mar 11th 2009 12:29 am

Originally Posted by yorkshire_sparkie (Post 7364838)
Hi again

We have been thinking about our plans move to NZ... We had always thought about going to the North Shore of Auckland. I am now wondering if we should look elsewhere. OH is an electrician so I assume he's going to bring home an average wage and I will try and find some part time admin work.............

...... Sorry if I am rambling :unsure:

It's fine to ramble away at us.:) We've all been there with this.

My advice to you would be to look at where the work is and then decide if you could settle in that place, not the other way round. As with everywhere else, NZ is in recession, so hooking into a full time , permanent and safe job is worth it's weight in gold right now.

I'd say start contacting firms and companies to get a feel for what work is out there for the husband. Also look to the NZ Expos.

CarolineSwan Mar 11th 2009 1:28 am

Hiya

I dont know if i wouldwant to live in Aukland justto busy for me... My hubby is a spark so thought id reply to you. He is currently working for JLE Electrical on a gas refinary in NP and seems to be getting good wages compared to some that i know here. Wells are always looking for sparks and pay good wages( for positions in same gas refinery) whilst staying here we have seen quite a few places advertising for sparks , have a look on the seek web site thats where we found garys job. NP is out of the way but to go places its a lovely drive. we were hours to drive any where in britain so doesnt bother us much at all

NermaltheCute Mar 11th 2009 10:11 am

The yorkshire bit got me having been brought up there and East Yorkshire to boot! If you want an outdoor active life with a reasonable cost of living why not look at Southland? Invercargill to be precise. No idea about sparkies work down here but the lifestyle is fantastic and the people are as friendly as hell. And you will definately be used to the weather!

yorkshire_sparkie Mar 11th 2009 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute (Post 7366913)
The yorkshire bit got me having been brought up there and East Yorkshire to boot! If you want an outdoor active life with a reasonable cost of living why not look at Southland? Invercargill to be precise. No idea about sparkies work down here but the lifestyle is fantastic and the people are as friendly as hell. And you will definately be used to the weather!

Where in East Yorkshire you from?? :thumbup:

NermaltheCute Mar 12th 2009 8:45 am

Tiny village called Kirby Underdale at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds. Not far from Stamford Bridge. And where's East Yorkshire for you? Southland is a lovely rural area so you would feel right at home!

yorkshire_sparkie Mar 12th 2009 5:29 pm

Hey

I live in Hessle on the outskirts of Hull.... Was called East Riding of Yorkshire, then North Humberside and now back to East Yorkshire LOL :thumbsup:

southerner Mar 13th 2009 6:31 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7365119)
Christchurch always seems to want trades - now I wonder why. Have you thought about moving to Scotland - no! then why would you move to Christchurch.

Christchurch has been attractive to the trades because for the last 5 years it has had the greatest building growth of any areas except Auckland itself.

And after having visiting both Scotland and Christchurch many times I can't see much similarity myself.

Browner_ Mar 13th 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 7374579)
Christchurch has been attractive to the trades because for the last 5 years it has had the greatest building growth of any areas except Auckland itself.

And after having visiting both Scotland and Christchurch many times I can't see much similarity myself.

I think his point is the shared remoteness and the cold.
Christchurch doesnt have any of the attractions that Scotland has.

southerner Mar 13th 2009 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7374619)
I think his point is the shared remoteness and the cold.
Christchurch doesnt have any of the attractions that Scotland has.

In which case, it is only fair to point out that Christchurch has warmer weather on the whole than anywhere in the British Isles, let alone Scotland. And on balance, it is a much less remote place (as I would define it) than many places throughout NZ including say Wellington, Tauranga, NP and other popular places for immigrants.

If the point really was about remoteness then the warning should go much further than Christchurch, it applies to all of NZ.

On your last point I would say the Banks Peninsula is equal with most of the scenery in Scotland (presuming attractive scenery is in your view part of the attractiveness of Scotland).

sparkie down under Mar 13th 2009 9:43 pm

Hello !!!!! Have I missed something here? When did they move Christchurch?
Or has the cold got to you sooooooo bad that you are not thinking straight?

Christchurch - warm? You must be an eskimo

Christchurch - central? You must be an eskimo from Ohio

now I really am lol

southerner Mar 13th 2009 11:19 pm

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html

Very clearly Christchurch has warmer temperatures throughout the year than anywhere in the UK. And less rainy days.

Personally I haven't got a lot of time for the place, but if you're going to have a go at it, please use some proper arguments.

southerner Mar 13th 2009 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7376999)
Christchurch - central? You must be an eskimo from Ohio

Either you're struggling to read what I wrote, or are just being argumentative. Christchurch has more international flights than all cities in NZ except Auckland. It also is (for want of a better word) the central gateway to the South Island and all its attractions. Relatively speaking, if somebody is worried about isolation, but really still wants to come to NZ then Auckland and Christchurch are probably their best choices IMO.

But looking back through the thread its not clear that was a concern of the OP, but rather was more a concern for somebody living (ironically it seems) on the central plateau.;)

sparkie down under Mar 14th 2009 12:04 am

so nice to see that southerner's haven't lost their sense of humor - NOT !

Never mind, wrap up warm, only another 6 months and it will be summer!