Where to settle?

Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:20 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to settle?

Aha - it was a joke!??
And here was I thinking the OP was after some advice that might affect where he ends up living. Sorry for misreading his question
Old Mar 14th 2009, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

We lived in West Auckland for 2 years before moving to Dunedin. In my opinion parts of West Auckland have a lot to offer (avoid Henderson and a few other places ). About half an hour to the CBD and with some great bush and beach on your doorstep. Price wise you are probably looking at about $400k for a 3 bed house (I might be a bit out of touch there though).
If your hubby is likely to be traveling to the CBD to work most days, I would avoid the North Shore like the plague until they decide to build another bridge. The traffic is horrendous, one road in, one road out and every other bugger on it at the same time as you. Its also more expensive and like you say, you don't want to be watching every penny go on a mortgage.
Have you seen the book 'Where to live in Auckland'? We found it really useful when we were deciding where to live (had to be Auckland for first job).
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Di and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really nice

Originally Posted by vetnurse1
Hiya

We lived in West Auckland for 2 years before moving to Dunedin. In my opinion parts of West Auckland have a lot to offer (avoid Henderson and a few other places ). About half an hour to the CBD and with some great bush and beach on your doorstep. Price wise you are probably looking at about $400k for a 3 bed house (I might be a bit out of touch there though).
If your hubby is likely to be traveling to the CBD to work most days, I would avoid the North Shore like the plague until they decide to build another bridge. The traffic is horrendous, one road in, one road out and every other bugger on it at the same time as you. Its also more expensive and like you say, you don't want to be watching every penny go on a mortgage.
Have you seen the book 'Where to live in Auckland'? We found it really useful when we were deciding where to live (had to be Auckland for first job).
Hi Vetnurse1
what do you think about where you live now??

Thanks
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html

Very clearly Christchurch has warmer temperatures throughout the year than anywhere in the UK. And less rainy days.

Personally I haven't got a lot of time for the place, but if you're going to have a go at it, please use some proper arguments.
I think you need to remember that some of the NZ-haters are in complete denial about the merits of NZ, and to support their arguments pretending ChCh is as cold as Scotland is a good line to take. A quick check of any climate website will show how stupid they're being, but why let the facts get in the way of a good argument?
Personally, ChCh is not for me despite having gone to school there, because I love the mild winters and fantastic coastline of the Auckland area. But many people love it, and it has fantastic access to skiing, biking, climbing, fishing etc.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Di & Ste

We love Dunedin- it's such a small city compared to cities in the UK and indeed the rest of NZ - but it has character and charm and is probably the safest city in NZ.
We also enjoy the climate! Now you North Islanders may mock....we found Auckland far too humid (got eaten by mosquitos) and although the winters were mild they were SOOO wet. Had to have the dehumidifier on full blast to stop your clothes going mouldy in the closet.
Dunedin can get into minus 2 or 3 in winter, but its dry and there is plenty of sun (contrary to popular belief) - cold crisp days.
Summer is great with temperatures hitting 32-33 degrees this year. We're going into Autumn now which is the nicest time here - still sun and heat during the day but cooling down to about 10 degrees in the evening so you can have a nice wood fire in the evening.
Oh, and housing is also cheap...we live 20 mins from the city, a stones throw from an amazing beach, modern house, sea views, all for under $300k.
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it all you Jafa's :-)
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:13 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

You're brave on only your second post!!!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, well, just picking up the general vibe of previous postings I think

Meant light heartedly though - we were Jafa's til we saw the light
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Di and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really nice

Hi Di & Ste

We love Dunedin- it's such a small city compared to cities in the UK and indeed the rest of NZ - but it has character and charm and is probably the safest city in NZ.
We also enjoy the climate! Now you North Islanders may mock....we found Auckland far too humid (got eaten by mosquitos) and although the winters were mild they were SOOO wet. Had to have the dehumidifier on full blast to stop your clothes going mouldy in the closet.
Dunedin can get into minus 2 or 3 in winter, but its dry and there is plenty of sun (contrary to popular belief) - cold crisp days.
Summer is great with temperatures hitting 32-33 degrees this year. We're going into Autumn now which is the nicest time here - still sun and heat during the day but cooling down to about 10 degrees in the evening so you can have a nice wood fire in the evening.
Oh, and housing is also cheap...we live 20 mins from the city, a stones throw from an amazing beach, modern house, sea views, all for under $300k.
thanks for your reply!!!! Somewhere else for us to consider now :-)