British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where to place For Sale ads? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-place-sale-ads-826957/)

Water Lily Feb 27th 2014 6:16 am

Where to place For Sale ads?

After a few happy years in NZ, it's time for the next big adventure :eek:. We are fortunate enough to have jobs that allow us to work from anywhere with an internet connection, so we're going travelling again!

Although we fully intend to return to NZ one day, we don't know if we'll be away for a year, two, or five, so we've decided the cost of storing all our

We're not keen on having garage sales, and it would take a loooong time to list item by item on trademe... does anyone have any ideas as to where we could advertise the big sale instead?

Any suggestions welcome and very much appreciated! :)

cappuccino Feb 27th 2014 7:50 am

Re: time for a new adventure - everything must go!

Good luck Water Lily. I'm doing exactly the same as you but I am listing all my worldly goods on TradeMe and local Facebook buy/sell pages. Going well so far but I won't list the big items till I have a buyer for the house (who knows, maybe they will buy all my big furniture too!) I'll give a lot of my stuff to the local hospice op shop and have a garage sale for the last items left unsold.

Maybe you could advertise one big job lot on TradeMe? Success fee will be high but it might be worth it.

Justcol Feb 27th 2014 9:44 am

success fee is small if you agree a price and pull it as sold elsewhere

Hebe Feb 27th 2014 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Water Lily (Post 11150381)
After a few happy years in NZ, it's time for the next big adventure :eek:. We are fortunate enough to have jobs that allow us to work from anywhere with an internet connection, so we're going travelling again!

Although we fully intend to return to NZ one day, we don't know if we'll be away for a year, two, or five, so we've decided the cost of storing all our belongings is probably not worth it.

We have the entire contents of a 3 bedroom house to sell, from tea mugs to white ware, kayaks and exercise equipment, and everything in between!

As we are not keen on having garage sales, and it would take a loooong time to list item by item on trademe... does anyone have any ideas as to where we could advertise the big sale instead?

Any suggestions welcome and very much appreciated! :)

I have just arrived and awaiting shipment. However do need a dinning room table and chairs and outdoor setting. Can you send me pictures and how far is it to Auckland!?

Water Lily Feb 28th 2014 7:24 am

Thank you cappuccino!! Likewise!! Where are you off to? :)

I didn't think you could do job lots on trademe, I'll have to look into that. Of course we will give a lot of things away too (we've just taken 3 boxes to one of the op shops today!), but would like to recover some of the $$ we spent on the bigger/more expensive stuff. We just have SO much (we still don't know how we managed it!) that the thought of listing things one by one feels totally overwhelming! :eek:

We also have a couple of local FB pages but I'm rather put off by them... I tried in the past but people are mostly there to sell rather than buy based on past experiences, so it's always been a waste of time for me :( But guess it might be worth a shot for the cheaper things that would be too much trouble for trademe (and not worth the fees), cheers!

Do you have a leaving date yet, or are you waiting to sell all your stuff first? Hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11150434)
Good luck Water Lily. I'm doing exactly the same as you but I am listing all my worldly goods on TradeMe and local Facebook buy/sell pages. Going well so far but I won't list the big items till I have a buyer for the house (who knows, maybe they will buy all my big furniture too!) I'll give a lot of my stuff to the local hospice op shop and have a garage sale for the last items left unsold.

Maybe you could advertise one big job lot on TradeMe? Success fee will be high but it might be worth it.

Water Lily Feb 28th 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11150567)
success fee is small if you agree a price and pull it as sold elsewhere

But this upsets trademe and if you do it too many times they cancel your account... :huh:

Water Lily Feb 28th 2014 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 11151211)
I have just arrived and awaiting shipment. However do need a dinning room table and chairs and outdoor setting. Can you send me pictures and how far is it to Auckland!?

Hi Hebe, welcome to New Zealand, hope you're settling in nicely :)

I was going to send you a PM as it's against the rules to actually sell anything on the forum, but the truth is that we're too far from Auckland to make it worth your while anyway. A local seller on trademe is your best bet, or some of the second hand dealers if you don't want to buy new.

Cheers!

BEVS Feb 28th 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Water Lily (Post 11151894)

I didn't think you could do job lots on trademe, I'll have to look into that. Of course we will give a lot of things away too (we've just taken 3 boxes to one of the op shops today!), but would like to recover some of the $$ we spent on the bigger/more expensive stuff. We just have SO much (we still don't know how we managed it!) that the thought of listing things one by one feels totally overwhelming!

Trade Me sounds like your best bet. It is the usual way. That and garage sales.

You can link your ads to your BE signature BTW.

Water Lily Mar 12th 2014 4:25 am

Re: Where to place For Sale ads?

Quick update in case it helps anyone else...

I tried selling things via our local facebook buy/sell things - this hasn't worked very well. These groups seem to be full of time wasters / tyre kickers and people who expect things to be sold to them for under $20. So not sure I would recommend going down this route!

Trademe is slow and tedious work but I have given in and listed a bunch of things. We're confident that the bigger things will go if we don't expect to get top dollar for them.

Now we're just wondering what to do with the smaller things - the ones that are not really worth a lot of money and therefore not worth the effort it takes to advertise them on TM...

We took 4 boxes full of stuff to a local op shop and their garage/storage room is literally bursting at the seams. We popped round another 2 shops and they also have more stuff than they can sell. I get the feeling that many people just dump their unwanted items on them instead of taking them to the tip to save money! :huh:

So what I'm considering doing next is just putting a trestle table outside and ask for donations for the SPCA - we've been volunteering there for over a year and they're happy to provide us with a collection tin.

Can anyone else think of other ways of getting rid of the smaller stuff that is not too time consuming?

cappuccino Mar 12th 2014 4:32 am

Re: Where to place For Sale ads?

Are there any car boot sales or school galas in your area? This seems to be the month for those kind of events down here in Wellington. I'm going to a car boot sale this weekend (it's a pity car boot sales aren't as popular in NZ as they were in the UK).

You will get rid of the last few things at a home garage sale if you don't mind hoards of bargain hunters!