Where in NZ?

Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in NZ?

Originally Posted by Nerine
Lol!! never heard Wellington compared to Melbourne before they've both got trams, but there the similarity ends for me.

A week really isn't long enough to do a country like NZ though is it. All of the major cities have something to offer and once you're in Oz you can always make another visit and catch-up on the things you missed the first time round.
Melbourne = Wellington = Edinburgh = San Fracisco, you know, where there is a nice vibe, bit of culture, nice locals and its chilled and nice places to aimlessly wander round and sit and have coffee and watch the world go by
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:35 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Melbourne = Wellington = Edinburgh = San Francisco
My wife reckons Wellington is closer in feel to Seattle than San Francisco. Never mind though. Seattle, San Francisco and Wellington are all cool places.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
My wife reckons Wellington is closer in feel to Seattle than San Francisco. Never mind though. Seattle, San Francisco and Wellington are all cool places.
Never been to Seattle so San Fran is my only American-like reference point!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:50 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Never been to Seattle so San Fran is my only American-like reference point!
And a fine one it is.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:20 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Wellington - more friendly, better coffee
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Wellington - more friendly, better coffee
Less pretentious, crazier dress sense
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:33 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Less pretentious, crazier dress sense
beautiful harbour, less traffic
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, most people here seem to suggest that their backyard is the "best" solution to the OP's desire for beauty and culture from NZ........
Personally I have never been to Wellington so can't comment other than to say that the surrounding areas are not gonna warrant a massive detour from either Auckland as base or Chch as base.

I'd suggest that NZ "culture" is gonna be better expressed as Maori culture than "cafe life" in one of the big cities - why come to NZ to experience a city "like" Melbourne, Sydney, Edinburgh or Seattle? When you've come from the UK via some real cultural cities (in China and Japan) to Sydney?

Better to visit the places that you can see something more "uniquely" NZ - if I had to reccomend I'd fly to Auckland, visit the War Memorial Museum and see the cultural stuff, maybe visit one of the Volcanic Islands or have a day or so in Rotorua (for some cultural stuff and volcanic stuff) and then pile down to South Island (Queenstown maybe) for 3 or 4 days to check out the sights around there - of course if it is the right time of the year......ie still warm....

Or go with Southerner's schedule......again provided its the still the right season!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

crazier dress sense
I am not.

I dress up well here (with my Euro designer clothing) unlike Kiwis- because I am not Kiwi/don't want to be a Kiwi

it purely depends on personal choice (yay, I agree Kiwi has got ABSOLUTELY NO dress sense) however that's not very important.

they don't even Know Burberry! Stupid, eh?

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 10th 2008 at 5:23 am.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:24 am
Winter hibernator

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I am not.

I dress up well here (with my Euro designer clothing) unlike Kiwis- because I am not Kiwi/don't want to be a Kiwi

it purely depends on personal choice (yay, I agree Kiwi has got ABSOLUTELY NO dress sense) however that's not very important.

they don't even Know Burberry! Stupid, eh?
Burberry is chav ------------- thank god that don't exist here
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Burberry is chav ------------- thank god that don't exist here
Burberry Novacheck Cashmere Scarf gorgeous. I love it
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:24 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The Burberry Scarf - an essential piece of kit for any wardrobe. I quite fancy one of their trench coat s for when we go to Europe later on in the year. Not sure whether to try to buy one here at Surfers or pick it up in Singapore.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
Well, most people here seem to suggest that their backyard is the "best" solution to the OP's desire for beauty and culture from NZ........
Personally I have never been to Wellington so can't comment other than to say that the surrounding areas are not gonna warrant a massive detour from either Auckland as base or Chch as base.

I'd suggest that NZ "culture" is gonna be better expressed as Maori culture than "cafe life" in one of the big cities - why come to NZ to experience a city "like" Melbourne, Sydney, Edinburgh or Seattle? When you've come from the UK via some real cultural cities (in China and Japan) to Sydney?

Better to visit the places that you can see something more "uniquely" NZ - if I had to reccomend I'd fly to Auckland, visit the War Memorial Museum and see the cultural stuff, maybe visit one of the Volcanic Islands or have a day or so in Rotorua (for some cultural stuff and volcanic stuff) and then pile down to South Island (Queenstown maybe) for 3 or 4 days to check out the sights around there - of course if it is the right time of the year......ie still warm....

Or go with Southerner's schedule......again provided its the still the right season!!
Personally having been round most of NZ now, I'd prefer to spend time in Wellington than either Auckland or Christchurch, when I was backpacking around I happily spent 3 weeks here where I struggled to keep myself interested in Auckland or Christchuch for much less time periods. Think this is the best place to base yourself for a week, plenty to see and do around here and day trips to the likes of Wairarapa and a few days across in the top of the South Island are well worth it

I think a good mix of culture is required, not just shoving Maori stuff down people throats, they need to see the whole wonderful mix that is NZ culture

South Island will however let you see more of the beautiful place, get into Queenstown and explore down there if you can

Last edited by irnbru14; Apr 10th 2008 at 6:49 am.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nerine
The Burberry Scarf - an essential piece of kit for any wardrobe. I quite fancy one of their trench coat s for when we go to Europe later on in the year. Not sure whether to try to buy one here at Surfers or pick it up in Singapore.
Burberry is soooooooooo chav/ned/schemie/bogan etc etc
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:56 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah well, we can't all be blessed with exceptional good taste . I'm after a Mulberry hand bag too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.