British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-nz-306518/)

Mikey Jun 2nd 2005 7:58 pm

Where in NZ?

Hi, We're thinking of moving to NZ but want to find out what part would be best for us. I have my own air conditioning and heating business here in the UK whick I'll sell and start again in NZ (maybe). I like the outdoors and off roading etc. My wife wants to leave her IT job and stress to spend more time with our 6 year old son, as do i.

Really what i want to know is north or south? where should i start my new business and is there a good demand for air conditioning and heating and are there plenty of qualified fitters in NZ.

Anyone have any ideas?
Mikey :rolleyes:

deedee Jun 2nd 2005 9:11 pm

Re: Where in NZ?

Otago, Queenstown and Central if you've got a big lump of cash :cool:

scottish Jun 2nd 2005 9:13 pm

Mikey more call for air con in the north island than south... money areas are the Bay of Plenty, Auckland and Wellington. Also loads of work in the heating game. Have you been to NZ before?? Systems are very different.

As for starting up a heating business you may come across a few hurdles. Firstly being shortage of engineers. Are you looking at natural gas or LPG?? If you want to work as well as manage the business either you or your person in charge has to be a registered craftsmen gas fitter... this process inc exams takes about 4 yrs to achieve, and again not alot of people about who are qualified. Its a very complicated business and dont try and work on heating with out registration. The going rate outside of Auckland for a Gas Eng is about $20ph for a person working on a limited licence and $25 if you have passed the exams.

Theres a crowd in CHCH who have brought people over from the UK saying they dont need registration with PGDB, trust me you do. They are installing Ariston systems and my hubby fitted some Potterton boilers in Rotorua. Watch though Hefty fines if you dont get registered with PGDB.

website for PGDB is www.pgdb.co.nz

AndyF Jun 2nd 2005 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey
Hi, We're thinking of moving to NZ but want to find out what part would be best for us. I have my own air conditioning and heating business here in the UK whick I'll sell and start again in NZ (maybe). I like the outdoors and off roading etc. My wife wants to leave her IT job and stress to spend more time with our 6 year old son, as do i.

Really what i want to know is north or south? where should i start my new business and is there a good demand for air conditioning and heating and are there plenty of qualified fitters in NZ.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd say it's something like this. These are some places you may want to consider.

North Island

Auckland is by far the largest place in NZ, it's got quite a bit going on in the city, has reasonable local beaches, and some fantastic beaches within an hours drive. We will live in the greater Auckland area when we return to NZ soon because we love going down the beach, surfing and messing about in the water. Also no cold winters, it can be quite wet at times, but generally the climate is decent.

Bay of Plenty has a similar climate to Auckland, has a decent town in Tauranga, but is getting more built up. Nice beaches, and not so far to drive to the North Island ski fields in the winter.

Wellington is quite popular with Brits, has a nice City Centre, but the beaches arent as good down there, and gets some serious storm fronts hitting it in winter (the windy city).

South Island

Nelson, nice beaches, winerys, relaxed lifestyle, but is quite remote being quite far from other major towns and cities, but hey thats why some people go to live in NZ, to get away from the hussle of city life.

Christchurch, has some beaches, but wouldnt say they are as good as up north, but you do have a very accessible ski field at Mt Hutt, and it is a very nice City, no doubt about that, but does get quite touristy.

Queenstown/Wanaka, lots of people love these two towns, again can be quite touristy all year round, but lots a ski fields to enjoy in the winter.

This isnt a complete list of all places you may want to look at, just a few to get an idea. My personal choice is somewhere near to Auckland, mainly because being from a city background I like to have the option to have a night out once in a while, also I want to get a business going so good sized population here, but yet it aint far to some world class beaches, and the NI ski fields are reachable by car in the winter.

Hope this helps
AndyF

sunshine_and_rain Jun 2nd 2005 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey

Anyone have any ideas?

This is pasted from another thread _ I am just repeating it as its all true!

Well, mines a completely biased reply - as I live in the BOP!! I LOVE it here - definately the BOP. So much to do here and within 2 hours of anything you need or want to do. We live in Rotavegas (Rotorua), and its a great town. House prices are whole LOT cheaper than in Tauranga too. I spoke to an estate agent the other day, a friend of mine who tells me they are selling heaps of houses to Aucklanders - but even more to people from Tauranga as its so much cheaper to buy here in Rotorua than there, and then they commute to Tauranga. Te Puke is nice too - agree with that, but a little too out in the sticks for my liking and not enough shops! There are lots of bars and resteraunts here in Rotavegas, and lots of POMS too, and the everyone is so friendly and also getto meet heaps of tourists - makes life interesting! I like most of the BOP so BOP it is for me to recommend to you (obviously very unbiased opinion!!!!!!) LOL. Let us know where you go.

Also - The Lions are playing here on Saturday - Hooray - Hope we win (The Lions that is). LOL. The BOP is beautiful. Tauranga is nice - agree with that - but - very built up and very busy with cars etc. :)

Cassa Jun 3rd 2005 1:32 am

Originally Posted by scottish
Mikey more call for air con in the north island than south... money areas are the Bay of Plenty, Auckland and Wellington. Also loads of work in the heating game. Have you been to NZ before?? Systems are very different.

As for starting up a heating business you may come across a few hurdles. Firstly being shortage of engineers. Are you looking at natural gas or LPG?? If you want to work as well as manage the business either you or your person in charge has to be a registered craftsmen gas fitter... this process inc exams takes about 4 yrs to achieve, and again not alot of people about who are qualified. Its a very complicated business and dont try and work on heating with out registration. The going rate outside of Auckland for a Gas Eng is about $20ph for a person working on a limited licence and $25 if you have passed the exams.

Theres a crowd in CHCH who have brought people over from the UK saying they dont need registration with PGDB, trust me you do. They are installing Ariston systems and my hubby fitted some Potterton boilers in Rotorua. Watch though Hefty fines if you dont get registered with PGDB.

website for PGDB is www.pgdb.co.nz

Funny you mention the lot in Chch as I met one just yesterday and was shocked by his story. He came here from the Midlands about 6 months ago and was lied to about his qualifications being suitable here. He has to pay $10K to go to a course and test for the qualifications he does need to get the salary he was told. He was very upset, does not have enough money to get his family home again and he is earning and living less than he did in the UK. Same happened to us, (although different industry ) the company my husband works for lied to him about the job to get him here and now we are heading back in a few weeks time. Its been a very costly mistake for us. Anyone coming here, dont believe everything companies tell you, get as much info from others as you can. It if is too good to be true then it usually is.

scottish Jun 3rd 2005 1:39 pm

Shit Cassa, his name wouldnt be Steve would it?????

The reason I ask is on the other site a guy called Steve asked myself and a few other gas fitters about working in NZ and at that time we had just had alot of hassle with PGDB as had my mate.

Anyhow to cut a very long story short he was adament we were wrong and they were right.

Small world that it is is the same company flew us down from Auckland to CHCH last May for an interview (Auckland job was a nightmare re wages not being what they should of been etc). At the end up relocating to CHCH was too expensive so we declined the job offer and moved to Tauranga.

Wonder where he got the figure of $10k from. If he has his ACS in the Uk all he has to pay is $300 to be assessed and $75 for a limited licence. Unless he dosent have his LPG part of his ACS then its a whole different story. Say however that he has the LPG part he will sit an exam in November both practical and written (takes about 4 weeks). Ok work wont pay for the exams or time off work but still alot less than $10k.

This all sounds very shocking to me but not to sound nasty if it is the same guy he was well warned before he left the UK. Still horrible though being financially stuck in NZ.

Hows your plans doing Cassa re coming home??