Where to move to?

Old Jun 1st 2016, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Bluepen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to move to?

We are a young family based in London and are looking to move to NZ sometime in the next 18 months - 2 years. Initially I thought we would move to Auckland but looking at house prices it feels like we would be moving from our 2 bed London flat to something similar. Am coming back in to NZ on holiday in January, where shall I go look?
Ideally we are looking for somewhere with good weather and that isn't too expensive (ideally don't want to be much more Han £500k, which I'm guessing means Auckland is out of the question).

Any thoughts on clevedon?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:11 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move to?

Originally Posted by Bluepen
We are a young family based in London and are looking to move to NZ sometime in the next 18 months - 2 years. Initially I thought we would move to Auckland but looking at house prices it feels like we would be moving from our 2 bed London flat to something similar. Am coming back in to NZ on holiday in January, where shall I go look?
Ideally we are looking for somewhere with good weather and that isn't too expensive (ideally don't want to be much more Han £500k, which I'm guessing means Auckland is out of the question).

Any thoughts on clevedon?
Clevedon is lovely, but expensive. GBP500 is around $NZ1m, so you should pick up a nice house for that. Have a look at The Gardens, Maraetai, Karaka in the south. Probably depends on what job you are looking for.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:13 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

on the news last night it stated that if the price increase by the way thy are atm the average house price in Auckland would be a million by the end of the year, so guessing that would out anyone on the first rung of the ladder unless you have been very good at saving, just come into some family money or rob a bank. Price increase in NZ is only second to Qatar and NZ leads the board on the price to salary ratio. New Zealand house price rises outpace all but one country | Stuff.co.nz and don't forget you more than likely need a 20% deposit to put down.

My first thoughts are where are you most likely to get a job, have you looked at the visa options or are you a returning New Zealanders?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where you'll be working.
Anything north of the Bombay's is auckland and
a lot of money will buy you very little.
A recent report found that many new places that
are going up are very fur coat n no nickers

If possible, look at the provinces
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

We live in Beachlands near Clevedon. Ferry into the city takes 35 mins. Absolutely love it out here although a fair bit of development planned for the next couple of years so the vibe might change I guess. Clevedon is a bit more rural still but nice place alright. 1 mill NZD is a reasonable budget for around this area. Send me a PM if you want more local input.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 8:38 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
We live in Beachlands near Clevedon. Ferry into the city takes 35 mins. Absolutely love it out here although a fair bit of development planned for the next couple of years so the vibe might change I guess. Clevedon is a bit more rural still but nice place alright. 1 mill NZD is a reasonable budget for around this area. Send me a PM if you want more local input.
I always forget about that ferry - bet it beats sitting in traffic. Is it busy?
Old Jun 5th 2016, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Yeah. People used to miss their boat as so popular but they put extra boats on so no issues now. Super service.