Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Rotorua

Where to live in Rotorua

Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Rotorua

Yeah... another Geordie coming to Rotorua.

Gill and Rob
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RobDon
From Pukehangi to Lynmore it takes 15 mins by car!
Would take much much longer by foot!!
That's good to know - I won't be planning any quick jogs across town then
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Just to further hijack this thread (sorry Lisa!).

I've been in touch with an agent, and she's suggested two properties, one in Glenholme (thermal 1st floor flat, furnished) and one in Ohinemutu (house, thermal and furnished). Given that we're only coming out for a year, initially, would it make financial sense to pay the extra dollars for a furnished house, or can you get 2nd hand stuff cheaply enough? I've heard white goods are expensive? We'd want to sell on the things we buy before we leave, I suppose.

Also, what is Ohinemutu like as an area? I've not seen it mentioned in this thread yet....

Three weeks to go, yesterday.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

'bunnyphobia' I'm looking for a furnished property as well. There so seem to be some around but they aren't all that common it seems (and some look awful!) compared to unfurnished.
I've been looking at the price of 'cheap' furniture (which isn't really cheap at all) but still reckon a furnished rental is my best option.

I've been told most places in Rotorua are about a @15 mins drive away from each other so that gives you a bit of an idea.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:01 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia
Just to further hijack this thread (sorry Lisa!).

I've been in touch with an agent, and she's suggested two properties, one in Glenholme (thermal 1st floor flat, furnished) and one in Ohinemutu (house, thermal and furnished). Given that we're only coming out for a year, initially, would it make financial sense to pay the extra dollars for a furnished house, or can you get 2nd hand stuff cheaply enough? I've heard white goods are expensive? We'd want to sell on the things we buy before we leave, I suppose.

Also, what is Ohinemutu like as an area? I've not seen it mentioned in this thread yet....

Three weeks to go, yesterday.
2nd hand furniture in NZ seemed expensive to us, often poor quality and 'retro'.
Its worth renting a furnished place if you can, if its short term look for 'long' holiday lets.....they're often furnished to a good standard and have most of what you're likely to need.
B x
PS if you are going to buy furniture etc its worth checking the local papers for garage sales ....usually cheaper than 2nd hand or Op (Charity)shops.

Last edited by MnB; Jul 29th 2010 at 5:03 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bunnyphobia, good luck with your move to Rotorua. I hope you'll be happy here.

Ohinemutu, oddly I never expected that area to come up as a possible place for a migrant to settle. My personal opinion would be to go for the Glenholme property instead . I don't know a lot about Ohinemutu, so I'm commenting largely on impressions, which may or may not be accurate, and I'm quite happy to be corrected by someone who knows the area better.

It's very close to the hospital, being the bit of land between the hospital and the lake, and it was one of the first areas of Rotorua to be settled by the Ngati Whakaue. It, along with Whakarewarewa village, seems to be very much a heartland for Maori and Maori culture. I'm not sure about things like crime, or housing quality, it's not really the kind of area you drive through on your way to somewhere else, so I've never passed through. I'd suggest that some of the property is old though, which in NZ doesn't necessarily equate to durable, well insulated or anything else.But then again, apparently the late great Sir Howard Morrison lived in Ohinemutu, and I'm sure he wasn't short of a few bucks

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it might be a tough area for a new immigrant to settle, with the huge dominance of Maori in the area. Please, please don't take that in any way as a criticism of Maori...absolutely not. I've met some absolutely fantastic Maori people and I respect their culture enormously even if I don't subscribe to it personally, but there are still on occasions tensions between Maori & Pakeha, and I think it would be easier on yourself to live in a less culturally dominated area, at least in the first instance.

I've added this link about Rotorua because it makes mention of Ohinemutu, thought it might be interesting.
http://www.rotoruanz.com/downloads/p...ernational.pdf

I'd suggest try not to stress too much about accomodation at the moment, estate agents etc are really much more helpful when you're on the ground and ready to move in, and when you're actually here you'll be able to look around and see what's available and what you think of the areas. Plan to book a motel or something for the first week or 2 and be prepared to have a very busy first few days trying to get things sorted. You can pick up cheap furniture at garage sales, or the auction on a weds night (we got quite a few bits & pieces from there), there's also 2nd hand shops, and places like the Warehouse which sell new but inexpensive stuff. Not great quality of course, but often will do to get started with. It may also be possible to borrow stuff, I know I've got a few bits & pieces I could loan out I'm sure.

And if either of you, Lisa or bunnyphobia, if all else fails, we've got a perfectly comfortable spare bedroom that you could borrow for a night or 2
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey......no-one mentioned Westbrook / Sunnybrook.

Great place to live.

IMHO Kawaha Point, Lynmore, Springfield, and th other people have suggested are lovely.
Hubby used to work for towing company doing the Police work so knows the areas to really avoid. Never once did he mention a stolen, DIC, or other vehicle offence in Lynmore. But nor Westbrook for that matter

Western heights has some nice streets but you seem to lose the sun quicker than our where we are due to Mount Ngongotaha.

Rotorua.....a great place!!

Nici
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

clairefm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I see this thread is a bit old, but in case any of you are still reading / looking ... I have a fully furnished home in central Rotorua that is available for rent immediately. It's completely furnished in a tasteful manner and with good quality furnishings, and it has everything you need to just arrive with a suitcase - everything from pots and pans and crockery and cutlery to good quality bedlinen, rugs on the floor and paintings on the wall ... it is a real home that would be a comfortable place to arrive to and safe and secure to stay in for your whole time in Rotorua.

I can send you photos, put you in touch with my local property management company, you can inspect the property etc - just contact me by email at claire (dot) mahon (at) gmail.com
I am a Kiwi ex-pat now living in Europe, and I bought this place and lived in it myself for a couple of months earlier this year when I was visiting NZ to see family. I fell in love with this home when I first saw it - it's a cute original cottage with a large rose hedge surrounding it, giving it lots of privacy from the road - and the neighbours are nice, and it is easy to walk to the central mall and restaurants etc. It would be ideal for a professional (single/couple or even two housemates sharing as both bedrooms are a good size) who are coming to work in Rotorua on a contract and don't want to have to set up from scratch buying furniture and committing to long contracts on tv/internet services etc.

It's very centrally located (in the central suburb of Victoria), 2 bedrooms (queen bed in one and double bed in the other). There's an original working coal range in the kitchen (along with new dishwasher, stainless steel oven, fridge, microwave), a gas fireplace in the lounge, dining table with 6 chairs in the dining room, innersprung sofa bed for extra guests in the lounge (plus extra 2 seater couch), separate sunroom/study, large flatscreen TV, sky cable tv connected, wifi broadband internet, iPod docking station, washing machine and dryer ... and much more. All bed linen, towels, pillows, electric blankets, duvets etc that you'd need, all included. It also has a monitored security system and a gardening service can also be included. There is brand new wool carpet in both bedrooms (polished native timber floors in the rest), new wooden blinds throughout the house, and it has recently been fully insulated. There's an original huge cast iron bath tub, and separate shower and toilet.

For the fully furnished home, the weekly rent is $320 NZD. It is also available with Sky TV, internet, phone, electricity, gas, security system and gardening all included - this price is available on enquiry.

Please contact me if you're interested - claire (dot) mahon (at) gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails Where to live in Rotorua-img_0147.jpg   Where to live in Rotorua-img_0161.jpg  
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Where to live in Rotorua?

Upwind?