Reload this Page >

WHERE TO LIVE IN NZ??? HELP!!!

WHERE TO LIVE IN NZ??? HELP!!!

Old May 7th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Buz10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question WHERE TO LIVE IN NZ??? HELP!!!

Hello everyone!

Me and the Mrs are moving to nz in aug/sept this year from leeds UK, i'm having telephone interviews at the moment for a job (quantity surveyor) with a few companies. We love just chilling out, walking, beaches, skiing, etc, and thought the south island might be better (Christchurch)?? but may have a job in Wellington...Where's the best place to live???
Old May 7th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHERE TO LIVE IN NZ??? HELP!!!

I think it's a personal preference (sorry not much help), we aren't in NZ yet, but when we visited we found Wellington to be windy (as you probably gather from reading other threads) and not for us, we also like beaches, ski-ing, horses and outdoor life, we aren't city people, I don't mind the odd visit but not to live in the hustle and bustle, so we have chosen Christchurch. But they do say you are only every 30 mins away from a beach in NZ.

You will have different opinions from different people, you really have to go and get a feel of the area before committing (i think).

Have a good one.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

It's definately a personal reference thing! do you want to live near the CBD, the coast? do you mind a bit of commute? What's important to you? There's advantages to all options.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Cheers Guys,

I'd love to live near the coast! I just dont want to get over there and it be just the same as leeds just miles away. I'm swaying towards christchurch if im honest but it all depends on job offers obviously. Just would like some info on places. I'm hoping somewhere like harrogate or somerset near a beach that would be fantastic!!
Old May 7th 2008, 9:06 am
Just Joined

I dont mind a short commute 15mins??
Old May 7th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

You'd probaby be looking just South of Wellington CBD in Island Bay or possibly over in Miramar, both great areas to live and right on top of beaches...
Old May 7th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buz10
I just dont want to get over there and it be just the same as leeds just miles away.
Nothing like Leeds here in Wellington - we have street name signs and easy to navigate road systems!
Old May 7th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Ha!

and probably a much better football team!
Old May 7th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Guys,

I'd love to live near the coast! I just dont want to get over there and it be just the same as leeds just miles away. I'm swaying towards christchurch if im honest but it all depends on job offers obviously. Just would like some info on places. I'm hoping somewhere like harrogate or somerset near a beach that would be fantastic!!
Hi Buz

We live in Christchurch. It is lovely, I would put it on a par with the South West of England - except for the rolling hills in Devon of course!! - from up the top of the port hills looking down over Christchurch reminds me of the Somerset Levels. (Very flat) Only difference is there are beautiful mountains as a backdrop with snow caps in winter. Rangiora (where we are moving to) is about a 15-20 min commute North of Christchurch. Rangiora has a lot of English people there and is relatively much cheaper housing there as it is more rural feel. Kiwis are horrified when you say you don't mind commuting, they think you should live as close to your work as possible. The don't get that we are used to sitting for ages to get to work in a car. This is like a walk in the park to us. My hubby used to drive 1.5 hours to work back in the UK. We lived in Devon and he drove to Cornwall each day for over 6 months, it is what you get used to. Christchurch has the beach, (North New Brighton with a Pier!!) seems like it goes on forever, but it is a windy beach, then there is Sumner beach which is more sheltered and beautiful and Taylors Mistake Beach with the backdrop of the port hills which is a lovely sheltered cove. Near to Rangiora there is Woodend Beach, Waikuku Beach, Pines Beach - the list goes on. 90 mins to Hanmer Springs hot thermal pools for a great day out. 2 Hours to Timaru further south which has the lovely Caroline Bay. 3 Hours to Lake Tekapo (the way my hubby drives anyway) No traffic queues on the way either!!!

We could cycle to the beach from where we are renting in Christchurch, there are forest walks and the airport is 10 mins away. Christchurch is not as daunting as Leeds, I lived in Exeter for a big part of my life and I would put it on a par with that. (Without the English shops of course). We rent a new house which is neither cold, damp or mouldy! We are buying a new house the like of which we could never afford in the UK 222 square metres with 4 beds, 2 baths double garage etc. Well insulated and heated and situated for all day sun. Where could I have got something that big in UK with out paying out the equivalent of nearly a million nz dollars. We lived in a rabbit hutch detatched house before coming here and that was in the £200,000+ price bracket for 3 bed, one living and pokey kitchen etc. For less than that we have an amazing property we will be living in.

That is my view of Christchurch anyway, the paper for the jobs comes out on Wednesday and Saturday (The Press) you can go to www.pressdisplay.com and get 7 free views of papers anywhere in the world and read them online. You should find The Press there. Otherwise look on Trade Me for jobs www.tradme.co.nz (NZ's Ebay).

I am sure others will say Christchurch is not for them and they prefer to live in the North Island, which is lovely, but South is more laid back.

Hope this helps.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Guys,

1920's art deco is about as old as the architecture gets anywhere in NZ with the occasional, very grand Victorian Office block in Wellington CBD.
Wellington is not much of a city in UK terms...it has loads of coastline with beaches, a very attractive waterfront...hills all around and within two minutes of driving you can be out in open countryside..it is very rural really but at least there's a bit of life to the place when you want that. Traffic jams are not really an issue despite what locals may think!

Haven't been to Christchurch yet (except airport) so can't directly compare.
But safe to say Wellington is nothing like Leeds!
Of the two I'd go where you can secure the biggest salary to be honest (taking into account relative housing costs).
Old May 8th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Sirl, after reading your discription about ChCh I just want to jump on a plane and go striaght there, sounds lovely.
Old May 8th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
Oh Sirl, after reading your discription about ChCh I just want to jump on a plane and go striaght there, sounds lovely.
Yes it is lovely. Bay of Islands is beautiful too. Not been to Welly or any of the other places and only passed through Auckland airport so can't comment on the rest but I will one day when I have visited all the lovely places.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Shirl,

Thank you so much for that brilliant info. i'm sold. Do you mind if I ask you a few more questions privately just about renting and housing etc. I only know of one website and thats allrealestate.co.nz don't know if this is the best one?

Thanks so much for the links

Buz
Old May 8th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

Hello Buz,

Just wanted to say hello...you have damn good taste in football teams! I am a massive Leeds fan and have a tattoo on my lower back...so many Kiwis have asked me what it stands for and when I tell them I always get the response...

"Oh yes aren't they that team that used to be good and went down to the lower divisions..."

You can't get away even at the other side of the world!

Good luck with everything, hope it all works out for you.

Stef
Old May 8th 2008, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Nice one stef. Marching on Together!!

do they play much football?? im gonna miss playing when i move and wondered if there are local teams about??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.