Reload this Page >

Where to live near Dunedin

Where to live near Dunedin

Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

hippyhattie will become famous soon enough
Default Where to live near Dunedin

Hi

Hubby has had job interview for position of corrections officer and has been told that the job will be at Dunedin prison....can anyone tell me what areas would be good for a family within 30 mins drive from Dunedin.

thanks

Laura
Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:48 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to live near Dunedin

Originally Posted by hippyhattie
Hi

Hubby has had job interview for position of corrections officer and has been told that the job will be at Dunedin prison....can anyone tell me what areas would be good for a family within 30 mins drive from Dunedin.

thanks

Laura
I lived in Dunedin there's LOADS of areas that are nice. I don't know where the prison is (strangely) so wouldn't know the nearest areas but I wouldn't think any area would be too far away as everywhere is pretty easy to get to (in fact, it's a piece of cake to get anywhere).

Are you looking for a location that is convenient for the shops/schools? or are you after a rural area out of the way? cos everyone is different aren't they? we liked to be near the city, but not too close (if you know what I mean) so we lived in Andersons Bay.. nice and well looked after area with sea views (you couldn't really walk to the sea though.. Andersons Bay is uphill) there are LOADS of hills in Dunedin.. we were gobsmacked at that.. soooo hilly and has the steepest street in the world! (I'll put the photo on in a min).

Southerner is your expert on Dunedin.. he lives there and lives in one of the good areas too.

Although I said we lived out of the city it still only took my OH 4 minutes to get to work!!

Our friends lived 35-40 mins out of Dunedin in a place called Waikouaiti (North of Dunedin) and we loved it up there.. I wouldn't have personally chosen to live there because they were a bit remote, but they bought a lovely house for just over $200,000 and had loads of land (3/4 of an acre) and lots of privacy and nice views... they also had a beach just round the corner! but like I say.. a bit too remote for my personal liking... ie: they had to drive into Dunedin for any shopping and the husband had to commute the 40 mins into Dunedin everyday for work and got loads of speeding fines and was eventually banned from driving!! so that's something to think about eh?

Pic of the steepest street in the world:

Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Debs70
I lived in Dunedin there's LOADS of areas that are nice. I don't know where the prison is (strangely) so wouldn't know the nearest areas but I wouldn't think any area would be too far away as everywhere is pretty easy to get to (in fact, it's a piece of cake to get anywhere).

Are you looking for a location that is convenient for the shops/schools? or are you after a rural area out of the way? cos everyone is different aren't they? we liked to be near the city, but not too close (if you know what I mean) so we lived in Andersons Bay.. nice and well looked after area with sea views (you couldn't really walk to the sea though.. Andersons Bay is uphill) there are LOADS of hills in Dunedin.. we were gobsmacked at that.. soooo hilly and has the steepest street in the world! (I'll put the photo on in a min).

Southerner is your expert on Dunedin.. he lives there and lives in one of the good areas too.

Although I said we lived out of the city it still only took my OH 4 minutes to get to work!!

Our friends lived 35-40 mins out of Dunedin in a place called Waikouaiti (North of Dunedin) and we loved it up there.. I wouldn't have personally chosen to live there because they were a bit remote, but they bought a lovely house for just over $200,000 and had loads of land (3/4 of an acre) and lots of privacy and nice views... they also had a beach just round the corner! but like I say.. a bit too remote for my personal liking... ie: they had to drive into Dunedin for any shopping and the husband had to commute the 40 mins into Dunedin everyday for work and got loads of speeding fines and was eventually banned from driving!! so that's something to think about eh?

Pic of the steepest street in the world:

Hi

Thanks for that......just found out that dunedin prison will close next year..and he will have to go to the new otago prison near milton..any idea what that is like?...or nay nice towns around there?

laura
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:03 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Hi

Thanks for that......just found out that dunedin prison will close next year..and he will have to go to the new otago prison near milton..any idea what that is like?...or nay nice towns around there?

laura
Well Milton is much further South than Dunedin.. not good really (I am being honest here) I think we drove through Milton on our way somewhere else and it wouldn't have been up to much cop to be honest. I think you would need to commute from the Dunedin area to Milton, but I'm not sure how long it would take to commute but I am guessing over an hour maybe the outskirts of Dunedin would be better but I wouldn't know where would be suitable.. have you got school aged children? can't you get an interview for somewhere else in New Zealand ?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Well Milton is much further South than Dunedin.. not good really (I am being honest here) I think we drove through Milton on our way somewhere else and it wouldn't have been up to much cop to be honest. I think you would need to commute from the Dunedin area to Milton, but I'm not sure how long it would take to commute but I am guessing over an hour maybe the outskirts of Dunedin would be better but I wouldn't know where would be suitable.. have you got school aged children? can't you get an interview for somewhere else in New Zealand ?
Hi

I'm not sure that Duedin is for us really...too far south.If Hubby is offered job then i think he will try and get a different prison but I don't hold out too much hope...we'll just have to wait and see!!

thanks for the info

Laura
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:14 pm
Banned

Oooh! I've just looked at your location and you are in Kent!!! our friends I mentioned earlier are from Kent and returned to Kent the same week we came home!

I have just been talking to Chris about your offer of work in Milton and he said to strongly advise you against accepting the offer and I have to agree.. it's not a very good location and you could get MUCH better!! from what I am seeing NZ is recruiting lots of Correction Officers so you may well have your pick of locations!! Dunedin was too cold for us and was also too cold for our friends (from Kent) and our other friends (from Scotland) lived in Dunedin and they too returned home because of the weather.. so like I say.. it's not ideal.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:17 pm
Banned

Hi

I'm not sure that Duedin is for us really...too far south.If Hubby is offered job then i think he will try and get a different prison but I don't hold out too much hope...we'll just have to wait and see!!

thanks for the info

Laura
I replied same time as you!

Yes, I think you would be right to seek a different location, Milton is Hillbilly land and very cold so you'd be best to try North Island if you can.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Oooh! I've just looked at your location and you are in Kent!!! our friends I mentioned earlier are from Kent and returned to Kent the same week we came home!

I have just been talking to Chris about your offer of work in Milton and he said to strongly advise you against accepting the offer and I have to agree.. it's not a very good location and you could get MUCH better!! from what I am seeing NZ is recruiting lots of Correction Officers so you may well have your pick of locations!! Dunedin was too cold for us and was also too cold for our friends (from Kent) and our other friends (from Scotland) lived in Dunedin and they too returned home because of the weather.. so like I say.. it's not ideal.

Oooh we must have psoted at the same time!!!..Hubby was told today at his interview that otago was only palce with vacancies..he was one of the last ones to be interviewed...although if they are desperate for corrections officers they might accomodate us....we're in herne bay where do your friends live?

laura
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Oooh we must have psoted at the same time!!!..Hubby was told today at his interview that otago was only palce with vacancies..he was one of the last ones to be interviewed...although if they are desperate for corrections officers they might accomodate us....we're in herne bay where do your friends live?

laura
THis is like having a virtual phone conversation...off to watch bb

lAURA
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:22 pm
Banned

THis is like having a virtual phone conversation...off to watch bb

lAURA
Yeah.. I've missed 20 minutes already and am addicted get Orlaith out eh? moaning, breasts flaunting cow she is
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:31 pm
Banned

laura
Our friends have gone back to live in Dover.. they are happy now.

From the sounds of it NZ is DESPERATE for correction Officers so don't believe any shite they are telling you!! you don't want to end up in the middle of no-where (which Milton definately IS).. you're in demand so tell them you want North island or nothing! (I love South Island but I am beginning to think that North Island is more civilised for us brits if you know what I mean by that?).

Pissed off that Kemal was evicted!! shocker!! :scared:
Old Jul 29th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Our friends have gone back to live in Dover.. they are happy now.

From the sounds of it NZ is DESPERATE for correction Officers so don't believe any shite they are telling you!! you don't want to end up in the middle of no-where (which Milton definately IS).. you're in demand so tell them you want North island or nothing! (I love South Island but I am beginning to think that North Island is more civilised for us brits if you know what I mean by that?).

Pissed off that Kemal was evicted!! shocker!! :scared:
Can't beleive kamal was evicted...i think its rigged!!!!...we are definatley going to ask for a different prison if paul gets job...watch this space!!

laura
Old Jul 30th 2005, 1:33 am
Banned

Can't beleive kamal was evicted...i think its rigged!!!!...we are definatley going to ask for a different prison if paul gets job...watch this space!!

laura
Laura.. It Must have been rigged!! ******* Kemal evicted over that bitch Orlaith? lordy.. no chance!!

:scared:
Old Jul 30th 2005, 4:19 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Is about a 20min commute from edge of Dunedin or Mosgiel down to Milton, so there are plenty of good places you could live and still work at the new prison. Fooferfish has been working down there I think so he could give exact details.

Yes Dunedin is cold by NZ standards, but not by UK standards. You would need to make sure you get a house with good heating and insulation, or spend some dosh on putting your own in.

Let us know if you want more info, but suspect somebody's "turned you off" already
Old Jul 30th 2005, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerner
Is about a 20min commute from edge of Dunedin or Mosgiel down to Milton, so there are plenty of good places you could live and still work at the new prison. Fooferfish has been working down there I think so he could give exact details.

Yes Dunedin is cold by NZ standards, but not by UK standards. You would need to make sure you get a house with good heating and insulation, or spend some dosh on putting your own in.

Let us know if you want more info, but suspect somebody's "turned you off" already
Hi Southerner

Thanks for that...it wasn't really Debs that put me off i think we were just disappointed not to get one of the 3 prisons that they had asked us to put down as our choices and we hadn't even considered Dunedin!!!Even more disappointed that Paul seems to have misled at interview as he was led to believe that Dunedin prison would NOT close!!!.

Being British and having an obsession with the weather we didn't really want to go somewhere that we had heard was rainy and cold.....i would be really pleased to be told otherwise!!!!

Anything that you can tell us about Dunedin would be great as I think we would go there if it meant we could come to NZ.

Do you know what the schools are like and is rental property readily available?
Going back to the weather is it grey and rainy in winter or more bright and cold...can't stand the former ...how warm is it in summer?...not looking for hot,just pleasantly warm so we can do lots of outdoor things!!

Laura

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.