Where to live for lovely low cost living

Where to live for lovely low cost living

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 7:57 am
Just Joined

sunnysomerset is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live for lovely low cost living

Hello!

Looking for for advice on where to live:

Us - married couple with 11 year old daughter. British and Australian dual citizens

Lowish income earned remotely - so won’t be looking for work

looking for coastal town that has nice lifestyle including cafes and restaurants, but with affordable housing. Want to grow vegetables, have solar power and enjoy relaxed lifestyle

A friend suggested Napier.

I’d love to hear other suggestions

Thank you!

S x
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live for lovely low cost living

Originally Posted by sunnysomerset
Hello!

Looking for for advice on where to live:

Us - married couple with 11 year old daughter. British and Australian dual citizens

Lowish income earned remotely - so won’t be looking for work

looking for coastal town that has nice lifestyle including cafes and restaurants, but with affordable housing. Want to grow vegetables, have solar power and enjoy relaxed lifestyle

A friend suggested Napier.

I’d love to hear other suggestions

Thank you!

S x
I'm not in New Zealand myself , but not sure what would be considered low cost for your friend, especially when it comes to housing. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/property/...ectid=12140654 Best check prices online in area, but it doesn't look cheap to me.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Sorry, should have stated we have around $400k to buy a house. Thanks 😊
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, should have stated we have around $400k to buy a house. Thanks 😊
I suppose it depends where you are coming from really and it does help to know how much roughly. For example us poor Europeans would think New Zealand is expensive when it comes to basic living costs, but many Americans would find it cheap. And then we all have different lifestyles too. If you can grow your own cucumbers, you won't be bothered about the cucumber price in supermarkets (a topic that comes up here LOL).
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Some ideas from the top of my head, mostly from the South Island as I live here!

Nelson - very picturesque, relaxed feel, lots of sun (though it can cop a heavy fall of rain now and then), access to Abel Tasman and Marlborough/Wellington as well as further south to Christchurch and the West Coast. There are smaller places nearby like Richmond, Stoke and Mapua that might be worth considering, as Nelson itself might be on the expensive side. Plenty of vege growers there though! Orchards too.

Hokitika (west coast) - bit of a left field suggestion and others might raise eyebrows, but I love Hoki! It’s small but has cafes and restaurants and access to staggering scenery up and down the coast and across Arthur’s Pass. Yes, when it rains it really, really, really rains but you get plenty of sunny days too! It’s quite lively in summer, especially if there is street music going on. It’s 3-4 hours from Christchurch.

East Christchurch - New Brighton, Waimairi Beach, Sumner. New Brighton has had its struggles and gets a pretty cool sea breeze in summer, but I love it. It has cafes and some restaurants, and access to miles and miles of beautiful coastline and beach. It’s quirky but I find that alluring. Due to its struggles with earthquakes and a decline in the shopping area house prices are lower there, but there is investment going in and it can be pretty active in summer. Waimairi Beach has a lovely cafe and is very quiet, but maybe a bit more pricey. If you live in the east, the central city is a 15-minute drive or maybe a 40-minute bus ride away. The average house price in Christchurch is about $400-$500k, and you do have to pay attention to earthquake repairs especially in eastern areas as not all were done well. Really selling it here, but just saying. Sumner would be great for you, but it is more expensive, Redcliffs is nearby.

Napier is lovely, the beach is shingle rather than sand (Nelson-Tasman beaches win hands down!) but the architecture is beautiful and I gather the weather is generally good. Hawke’s Bay is wine country of course. Others in the North Island could maybe be New Plymouth, Whangerei, Paihia, Whanganui? I defer to North Islanders on those!

Sorry, got typing a bit! It’s hard to say but maybe start with Nelson if you’re looking at the South Island. Think about the others though.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Wow, thank you sooo much! That’s an amazing list. I think you’ve tapped into the things we are looking for.

Having lived in UK for a while I’m thinking the west coast weather might not be ideal - but I know it’s stunning, so won’t rule it out!

Thanks again - I’ll investigate all options before our scouting trip xxx
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow, thank you sooo much! That’s an amazing list. I think you’ve tapped into the things we are looking for.

Having lived in UK for a while I’m thinking the west coast weather might not be ideal - but I know it’s stunning, so won’t rule it out!

Thanks again - I’ll investigate all options before our scouting trip xxx
If the weather in the UK was not ideal for you, forget Hokitika (west coast). Even if the sunshine hours are like what you'd get on the south coast of England, the problem will be the amount of rain and even the wetter parts of Scotland and Ireland see half that amount and generally fewer wetter days. Unless you can adapt and really like remote living, there are probably better options. Saying that, depending where you lived in UK, wind can often be the bigger problem.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

NZ and a lovely low cost living don't go together no matter where you base yourself. Everyday things like groceries, public or private transport costs, healthcare, refuse collection, power, gas, water etc are pretty much the same across the country - elevated in and around the bigger cities where there is more demand but having lived in two major NZ cities, working in another major NZ city and now live rural the difference is negligible. It's all swings and roundabouts. You really have to adapt yourself to shopping seasonally and searching out all the offers to lower your CoL here. We never pay full price for anything anymore as you can guarantee whatever you wanna buy will be in a sale pretty soon. We still shop internationally quite a bit as even with shipping costs and the risk of being hit with NZ import duty fees, the goods are still cheaper from overseas.
Considering a coastal village/town location, you will find there's a small list of things that will be cheaper due to the lower population there, lack of jobs making it a less desirable place to live unless you are in the fortunate position where you don't need to work, or don't need to be in or near a city or can work remotely. If that place is a highly desirable Kiwi holiday place then you will not see any savings and prices will remain healthy or at a premium. A good example of this would be The Coromandel. Loads of gorgeous little towns and villages with awesome beaches but man the prices for property and CoL is ridiculously high just because it's a renowned Kiwi summer holiday place!!!
The likely things that may be at a reduced cost are housing rent or property purchase, land purchase, maybe council rates will be cheaper per year and I'm struggling to think of anything else.
A $400k budget will probably go far in the South Island and as already mentioned, places like Nelson, Blenheim, the West Coast, Timaru, Oamaru, Dunedin, Invercargill would possibly suit your criteria but the climate may then be a factor ?
Not sure about Christchurch. Having recently been interested in a move to that area the average house purchase prices where I was looking where way more than $400-$500k. We have a number of friends dotted about the Christchurch area and they all paid way more than $400k for their properties 2-5 years ago and I'm only talking a typical newish build 4 bed detached bungalow in suburbia.
You will struggle on that budget in the North Island. Possibly Whanganui, New Plymouth, Napier. You will be ok on that budget in Gisborne and all around the East cape to Whakatane, possibly even as far West as Te Puke but then the prices rise rapidly for the outer lying areas of Tauranga where the average prices are considerably higher. I doubt you'd find anywhere between Tauranga and Auckland. You'd be looking at Whangarei and north of Whanagarei next.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 8:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
[left]

but maybe start with Nelson if you’re looking at the South Island.
Depends on what the net income would be. Nelson is considered an expensive place to live and we certainly do not find it cheap despite being mortgage free.

Not sure what you would get for $400K around this area although some area may be a little cheaper than others. Off the top of my head I'd say you'd be looking on average at $600K.

Installing solar power is an expensive business here. If you buy a property with it already installed then that is good as part of the purchase price however if you retro install then you are looking at decades to recoup the outlay. We know. We used to run a green power co. back in the UK.

Vege growing is possible anywhere, just like the UK. As always it relies on the fruit/veg doing their thing and the appropriate seasonal weather. Here in Nelson one needs to be prepared for the water restrictions so having rain water storage tanks is very helpful.
Many of the new properties here must have water collection tanks anyway as water is a bit of an issue here what with the irrigaters and the like.

Not to put you off at all. If you habe the wherewithall and the income then it is a very popular area. It is out on a limb so can be isolating and expensive to get anywhere else but all in all the NZers consider this region to be a holiday destination.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

West Coast South island is probably the best bet. Dont think 400k will get you very much anywhere else.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 8:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
West Coast South island is probably the best bet. Dont think 400k will get you very much anywhere else.
West Coast is a bit tough Col .
Old Jan 4th 2019, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
West Coast is a bit tough Col .
To be honest and as lovely New Zealand is, I would probably pick other locations for low cost living, especially if the work can be done from anywhere.
When it comes to a safe environment, good climate, lower costs, check out the Portugal forum. Their daughter is already 11, but maybe just the right timing to learn another language.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:27 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Consider the Far North, e.g Keri Keri.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Their daughter is already 11, but maybe just the right timing to learn another language.
Like Te Reo maybe...
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to live for lovely low cost living

W(h)anganui usually gets ranked most affordable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.