Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Christchurch?

Where to live in Christchurch?

Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:42 pm
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all
Default Where to live in Christchurch?

Ok

Despite the fact we still need to sell the house, we cannot help but browse the real estate on realenz.co.nz. etc etc

Lots of properties look great and we cannot wait to spend our money!

But where to buy?

We will both be working, OH at the hospitals (don't know which one), me in the CBD

Ideally we want a decent size garden (flat) for our young son to play but the property is fairly flexible

Schooling is obviously going to be important sooner rather than later so need to consider "zoning".

We currently have a 5 bed house and are looking for something of a similar size (4 bed or more)

Which neighbourhoods are considered...

Respectable?
Snobby?
Rough?
Good for schools?
Good transport links to CBD?

Finally, I lived on the coast as a child and would like to do so again. Are there are suburbs on nice coastal stretches that are within an easy commute of ChCh??

So much to think about...
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live in Christchurch?

Originally Posted by GowHow
Ok

Despite the fact we still need to sell the house, we cannot help but browse the real estate on realenz.co.nz. etc etc

But where to buy?

We will both be working, OH at the hospitals (don't know which one), me in the CBD

Ideally we want a decent size garden (flat) for our young son to play but the property is fairly flexible

Schooling is obviously going to be important sooner rather than later so need to consider "zoning".

We currently have a 5 bed house and are looking for something of a similar size (4 bed or more)

Respectable?
Snobby?
Rough?
Good for schools?

Finally, I lived on the coast as a child and would like to do so again. Are there are suburbs on nice coastal stretches that are within an easy commute of ChCh??

coastal chch is the pits - new brighton etc...but the more speculative amongst us might argue ripe for some renewal and property value growth if you are in it for the long run. nice areas for good schools are merivale and fendalton but SERIOUSLY EXPENSIVE but other respectable areas that i know of are around the cashmere, beckham areas to the east near the port hills, avonhead, upper riccarton to the west (but careful about the airport noise at night - they do loads of turboprop maintenance into the small hours)... st albans is reasonably central(ish)....no doubt there are others
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Ok

But where to buy?

Respectable?
Snobby?
Rough?
Good for schools?

Ok, flat section rules you out of much of the expensive property up in the hill suburbs.
Christchurch's public transport works as spokes on a wheel into the CBD, so most suburbs have a good service, the question is how far out you want to be.
The Public Hosptial and ChCh womens are in the central city, PMH geriatric service is to the south, St Georges private is just to the south.
New build houses are in new subdivisions further out - maybe 30 min drive into city (eg Halswell), more established suburbs would be Beckenham, Somerfield to the south, St Albans, Merivale to the north, Riccarton, Avonhead to the west.
Snobby = Merivale and Fendallton, you don't get much for your money.
Coast = Redcliffs, Sumner, further away from cbd but lovely. New Brighton, Southshore are underated, the houses usually aren't that flash but my guess is that this is where the prices will rise over the next 20 years. Houses along the coast are further from the cbd than the other suburbs I have mentioned.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:45 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Ok

But where to buy?

Respectable?
Snobby?
Rough?
Good for schools?

Id be looking at Sumner, Redcliffs, Southshore or Northshore if I was in your position. Brighton was once a not too bad place to live but is in need of a serious makeover so Id avoid that if I was you & yes I know there will be some who will probably disagree with me. Personally I think Sumner is great but can be somewhat over priced if your lucky enough to get a house with an ocean view!