Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Christchurch?

Where to live in Christchurch?

Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:44 am
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light
Post Where to live in Christchurch?

Looking at emigrating to New Zealand later this year and wondering if anyone can help me to decide where to live within Christchurch. I will be working in the centre and am looking for somewhere within easy commuting but must be a safe and friendly area with good schools for my lads aged 6 and 3.
We are going on holiday there in August so we can have a good look round, I just dont know where to start.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:06 pm
Adios UK, I'm in ChCh, NZ

DMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in Christchurch?

Originally Posted by jjg
Looking at emigrating to New Zealand later this year and wondering if anyone can help me to decide where to live within Christchurch. I will be working in the centre and am looking for somewhere within easy commuting but must be a safe and friendly area with good schools for my lads aged 6 and 3.
We are going on holiday there in August so we can have a good look round, I just dont know where to start.
Any help will be appreciated.

Hi, I live NW side of ChCh in Burnside.

Typically, you'll normally find the better schools are in the more expensive areas, such as Fendalton, Merivale, Burnside etc. I think Redcliffs has a good school as well, and I expect there's some very good schools on the east side of town.

We bought in Burnside as it has good schools, although my son is only 3, as it also helps keep/increase the value of your house rise, being in a good school catchment area.

If you look on the Harcourts web site or others you'll see that some of them will say what school catchment area they are in.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:47 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Try Cashmere, Westmorland, Huntsbury....really recommed them. Good schools and easy access to mountain biking, hiking and spectacular views of the bays.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:46 am
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Where to live in Christchurch?

Thanks for the help.
Can you tell me what there is to keep my lads busy through the winter months over there in Christchurch.
Cheers
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:56 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjg
Thanks for the help.
Can you tell me what there is to keep my lads busy through the winter months over there in Christchurch.
Cheers
The winter months in Ch'ch tend to be sunny, dry and crisp, cold nights mild days. So you can pretty much do anything you can in summer. You will even get occasional days of around 20c right in the middle of winter.

We tend to do alot of skiing in the mountains and fishing, as well as the usual soccer, rugby etc. Sailing, water skiing, wind surfing are very popular in the bays.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:57 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjg
Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Personally I'm not a big fan of Christchurch because it is so damned flat on the whole. Cashmere and the other places on the port hills, as well as further out near Diamond Harbour would be my picks (without looking at schools and all those things).
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:47 am
jjg
Numpty

Thanks again.
Do they have any big shopping centres over there with cinemas and bowling alleys in them. My wife likes to shop and the others keep the kids entertained.
Can you get live football from the UK in your homes and what is the standard of the television in general.
Cheers.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:28 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjg
Thanks again.
Do they have any big shopping centres over there with cinemas and bowling alleys in them. My wife likes to shop and the others keep the kids entertained.
Can you get live football from the UK in your homes and what is the standard of the television in general.
Cheers.
Loads of mall's (some big, some small), loads of cinema's, live matches and highlights on sky tv only, but scores are reported on the evening news. Sky tv package with sports channels around $50 a month.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:16 am
jjg
Numpty

Thanks JWW.
Just one last question, I am coming over with the family in August can you recommend any good family orientated hotels.
Once again thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:19 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JWW
Loads of mall's (some big, some small), loads of cinema's, live matches and highlights on sky tv only, but scores are reported on the evening news. Sky tv package with sports channels around $50 a month.

Yes, there are loads of Malls but with very limited choice and our Sky package without movies or Sports was $52 a month. Think to add Sports its about another $20. I know its splitting hairs but it all adds up.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:58 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottish
Yes, there are loads of Malls but with very limited choice and our Sky package without movies or Sports was $52 a month. Think to add Sports its about another $20. I know its splitting hairs but it all adds up.
I just had a look at my bill, $56 including all the sports. You must have had movies as well or something.

Not quite sure where you have been shopping but Christchurch isn't bad at all. The four big malls cover most things plus there are smaller stores in Cashel mall that sell ya Boss, Ben Sherman, Paul Smith and Ted Baker. At the end of the day from my perspective, and I'm not a shorts and vest man, it stacks up better than most large towns in England. I'm aware that there have been these huge mall's built around the M25 but it will be the same old chuff (Next, River Island etc) presumably, unless you go into London (or another LARGE city??). If you want big city life, NZ will not be your spot.

I'm always interested in this 'limited choice' thing. What exactly are you after in particular?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:04 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjg
Thanks JWW.
Just one last question, I am coming over with the family in August can you recommend any good family orientated hotels.
Once again thanks for all your help.
I've only ever stayed in one hotel in Ch'ch (when we first got here), that was the Heritage in Cathedral sq. The new company paid for it, so I don't know how much it cost, it may be quite pricey, nice though. I've heard Scenic Circle hotels are nice but have no experience of them. We tend to rent holiday homes when we go away here or Aussie. I'll ask around and get back to you.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:20 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

A family oriented hotel is really a "motel" in NZ. They are generally cheaper, self catering and in most cases more comfortable for a family than multiple or interconnecting rooms at a hotel. Try www.jasons.co.nz for a sample
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:47 am
jjg
Numpty

Cheers again.
With regard to the shopping. We live in Greater Manchester at the moment where they have built one of the biggest malls in the UK and to be honest it does my head in. Too many people and too many shops (miles of them). We will just be after a good selection of smart casual clothes.
With regard to hotels/motels. We are coming over in August for a holiday and fact finding mission. We are starting at Auckland and working our way down to Christchurch.
Where would would you recommend we should visit in New zealand, bearing in mind we are coming for 3 weeks and our kids are 6 and 3.