Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live: Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch

Where to live: Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch

Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to live: Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch

Originally Posted by Quantum Mechanic
I'm about to meet up with prospective future employer (Telecom NZ) in October for some opportunities they're advertising. They've got roles in the above areas, so from a person (hoping) to leave Scotland (Edinburgh) behind, where is the best place to go ? OH + 2 kids under 5 will be coming.

I won't miss the weather, and would like somewhere sunnier but saying that I'm not phased by a little rain and wind given our climate in Scotland

I love scenery, the beach, lazy days with the kids and want them to enjoy a more outdoor lifestyle (as do I tbh).

We could probably stretch to a 3-4 bed house given the prices compared to Edinburgh. Commuting not really a problem but I don't fancy anything more than 30 mins if I could.

Any suggestions from people who have made the move ?
hi there my hubby has just been offered a job with telecomnz decided on wellington as it seems not as built up as aukland and we didn't want to go to a big city plus the commute will be less. have you taken the job? yuo could be starting together!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where to live: Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch

It is real tough making the choice of where to live before coming. That is what we did. One of the reasons we chose Christchurch was we didn't want to be stuck in traffic. We could do that at home and needn't move for it so Auckland was out.

Next, my wife and I vacilated between Christchurch and Wellington. My wife didn't like the style of houses in Wellington. What she did like was the nice single floor homes and the fact that there wasn't a terraced back garden for the kids. Also she didn't like the houses all bunched together on the hillside looking over and into eachother.

So, we balance the choice really on those two factors. I really don't believe that weather should be taken as a main consideration when considering the three main centres. Auckland has up to two months of the year when it can be a bit uncomfortable due to humidity, but that is solved by an airconditioner. There is not a huge difference in degrees between Auckland and Christchurch. The bigger issue is the quality of the house you will live in. The weather is mild here and enjoyable, you just don't want it in the house all the time. That is why we are building a hosue north of Christchurch.

So on balance, that was how we decided. Yes, Christchurch may not be quite as vibrant as say Wellington or Auckland, but we are only wanting to watch the kids play soccer or tennis, walk on the beach, go to the mountains and enjoy the fresh air. We do that here and don't worry about whether we have been out to eat or drink or dance or anything like that.