Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live Auckland city??

Where to live Auckland city??

Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live Auckland city??

Hi all looking for some info on places to live in Auckland city. We are a young couple no kids and wanted somewhere reasonably priced in a decent area until we are settled in. I have found some houses in the following areas:

•Mount Eden
•Blockhouse Bay
•St Johns
•Epsom
•Avondale
•Meadowbank
•Lynfield
•St Lukes
•Greenlane
•Morningside
•Panmure
•Mount Wellington
•Mission Bay
•Ponsonby
•Ellerslie
•Grey Lynn

Big list I know but any help would be so appreciated and if there any places Ive missed and should look please let me know
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live Auckland city??

they all cr@p.

we lived in Blockhouse Bay when we first moved in. and attended Lynfield College for a couple of years. (back in the early 90's.) it was a dirty area at that time - not sure what it is like now,,?

I wouldn't live there again - anywhere in central auckland. but I heard Ponsonby is a good area to live in - shopping/cafe good. and transport good too.

If I live in auckland, I'd only live in South Auckland or East area.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 17th 2011 at 11:45 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crap coffee
they all cr@p.

we lived in Blockhouse Bay when we first moved in. and attended Lynfield College for a couple of years. (back in the early 90's.) it was a dirty area at that time - not sure what it is like now,,?

I wouldn't live there again - anywhere in central auckland. but I heard Ponsonby is a good area to live in - shopping/cafe good. and transport good too.

If I live in auckland, I'd only live in South Auckland or East area.
So places like Clevedon, Howick, East Tamaki, Manukau?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a pretty big list!

I live in Mount Eden and I love it but wouldn't really say its reasonably priced! Saying that it all depends on what your after. I'm single but wanted 2 bedrooms and I wanted an old villa rather than a newer apartment block so I guess you get what you pay for where ever you pick.

I would love to be in Mission Bay or Ponsonby but wasn't willing to live in the things that I could afford at the time I was looking.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonz76
So places like Clevedon, Howick, East Tamaki, Manukau?
I don't know about Clevedon.

Howick is an old area so not the best,

Not too sure about East Tamaki. - I've been - only briefly so don't know much about,

I recommend you - Cockle bay and around the area. - sorry I don't know much about Auckland and the name of suburbs but I really liked the area - there are a lot of Brits live there too. Cockle Bay is an old place but there are some good new area too - if you drive through. Find out. mostly big new houses. - but think you really need a job in that area (East) - its too far to commute every single day - if your job is in town.

and there are only one place I liked in North Shore - its Orewa. That would be the only place I like to live - if I have to live in North shore. and rest of North Shore - rubbish - particular Takapuna...so cr@p

The reason I like SOuth auckland is its flat, and there are lots of trees.. leafy area - its my kind of favorite place to live in. and the most important reason is close to the airport. Manurewa Manukau Conifer Grove (?).. I quite liked. they were - used be - great new areas - 18 years ago. but my mother says not any more. they become old now...(doesn't matter to me though)

Mission Bay - dirty old stupidly expensive area and not too beautiful as used to be. at least now. East area better looking beaches and cleaner - trust me. Don't go there.

Ponsonby etc - very bad air pollution. again I wouldn't live in that sort of area.

St Johns = My school music teacher still lives there - she is a very posh person from Sweden. I've been to her place a few years ago - didn't like it. I mean not particularly impressive or beautiful - just another old area.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 18th 2011 at 3:51 am.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Not sure where Crap Coffee is coming from? - Mt Eden, Epsom, Ponsonby, Grey Lynn and Mission Bay are amongst the premium suburbs in Ak - Mission Bay is where I'm going when I win Lotto! Has nice cafe culture, beach perfectly swimmable with nice grass area and playground and lovely drive(cycle) along waterfront to city.
Mt Wellington, Panmure whilst OK would be my last choice in that list along with Lynfield which is a fair distance into city.
Of course depends where you are going to work , transport is an issue in Ak and also where you are coming from in Uk as to what you will like. Always suggest new arrivals check out suburbs befroe committing - very different from UK - enjoy the adventure
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi all looking for some info on places to live in Auckland city. We are a young couple no kids and wanted somewhere reasonably priced in a decent area until we are settled in. I have found some houses in the following areas:

•Mount Eden
•Blockhouse Bay
•St Johns
•Epsom
•Avondale
•Meadowbank
•Lynfield
•St Lukes
•Greenlane
•Morningside
•Panmure
•Mount Wellington
•Mission Bay
•Ponsonby
•Ellerslie
•Grey Lynn

Big list I know but any help would be so appreciated and if there any places Ive missed and should look please let me know
Do you know where you will be working?
Also depends what kind of lifestyle you eant... mt eden grey lynn ponsonby are all great inner city suburbs if you are looking for coffee shops and pub culture, or if you are wanting to be close to the cbd for going out etc. if you want a more suburban feel then places like howick which has been mentioned. lots of people like the suburbs in manukau such as howick but for me it is way too far out of town. i lived in grey lynn and liked it a lot.. but depends on your budget if you are able to get a nice villa or townhouse or apartment. Again it depends what you are looking for

Kingsland is another inner city option as is Parnell
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Do you know where you will be working?
Also depends what kind of lifestyle you eant... mt eden grey lynn ponsonby are all great inner city suburbs if you are looking for coffee shops and pub culture, or if you are wanting to be close to the cbd for going out etc. if you want a more suburban feel then places like howick which has been mentioned. lots of people like the suburbs in manukau such as howick but for me it is way too far out of town. i lived in grey lynn and liked it a lot.. but depends on your budget if you are able to get a nice villa or townhouse or apartment. Again it depends what you are looking for

Kingsland is another inner city option as is Parnell
I would be working out of East Tamaki. Think we would prefer the innercity but then again depends on travel to work by van for me.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I would be working out of East Tamaki. Think we would prefer the innercity but then again depends on travel to work by van for me.
I travel from Mount Eden to Papakura for work. I'm lucky that I don't travel at rush hour (I work 7-7.30) but its generally a pretty good journey. Takes me 25-30 mins max and its pretty much motorway the whole way.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisamct
I travel from Mount Eden to Papakura for work. I'm lucky that I don't travel at rush hour (I work 7-7.30) but its generally a pretty good journey. Takes me 25-30 mins max and its pretty much motorway the whole way.
Thats pretty good then as I would be starting 7 - 7:30 too
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dorrick
Not sure where Crap Coffee is coming from? - Mt Eden, Epsom, Ponsonby, Grey Lynn and Mission Bay are amongst the premium suburbs in Ak - Mission Bay is where I'm going when I win Lotto! Has nice cafe culture, beach perfectly swimmable with nice grass area and playground and lovely drive(cycle) along waterfront to city.
Mt Wellington, Panmure whilst OK would be my last choice in that list along with Lynfield which is a fair distance into city.
Of course depends where you are going to work , transport is an issue in Ak and also where you are coming from in Uk as to what you will like. Always suggest new arrivals check out suburbs befroe committing - very different from UK - enjoy the adventure
been to Mission Bay a few months ago (my dad drove me through,,,,every where in Auckland) and I must confess we didn't like it - not as good as before I mean.... yes, cafe pub culture nice but see the VERY old house - like Epsom, and the old messy narrow roads,,(personally didn't like it) beach?. (not particularly impressive) Wellington beach better,,,, (personal opinions...

Mt Eden, Epsom, Ponsonby, Grey Lynn and Mission Bay are amongst the premium suburbs in Ak - sounds very classic. When we moved to Nz (in 90's) Real Estate agents told us the same thing. so Nothing has changed,,,,lol At that time,,,, we didn't have a new suburb..like new Albany area, dairy flat, etc etc. so central area was sort of appealing but not now, because there are better places than Mission Bay or Epsom or St Johns park. (think its very personal taste)

I don't like sitting in traffic (+ air pollution) every morning and I find its a bit too far to drive from city to East area/or South Auckland - and not only that, how about fuel costs? stressful.

maybe been in Welly for too long, life's too easy here. I walk 30 minutes to work every day.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 18th 2011 at 8:05 am.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:07 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

"maybe been in Welly for too long, life's too easy here. I walk 30 minutes to work every day.[/QUOTE]"[/I][/I][/I]

i read the other day there is a Macdonalds no more than 30 minutes from ever house in major NZ cities
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

•Mount Eden
•Blockhouse Bay
•St Johns
•Epsom
•Avondale
•Meadowbank
•Lynfield
•St Lukes
•Greenlane
•Morningside
•Panmure
•Mount Wellington
•Mission Bay
•Ponsonby
•Ellerslie
•Grey Lynn

Hi,
We live in Pakuranga - and we quite like it, it's about 10 minute drive to East Tamaki. I really like Howick, it has a real village feel about it, close to beaches and has a main street with pubs and restaurants (if that's what you are looking for) Also Bucklands beach, Eastern beach, Cockle Bay, Half Moon Bay are all supposed to be lovely too. Clevedon is a bit further away and very nice but out into the country a bit more so it just depends what you are looking for.
Good Luck and I hope you find the right area
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

east tamaki is a fair way out if you were living in grey lynn ponsonby or mt eden. not sure how bad the commute is.

if you want to live a bit closer to work then howick bucklands beach area would be good options.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Mission Bay is wicked man, would suit you down to the ground. I was looking at work back in Auckland and thats where I would be moving, its got a good buzz about it and only $15 to CBD on a night out. Beach is pretty good for an inner city beach and they have a jazz festival every year.

I love the place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.