Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Auckland?

Where to live in Auckland?

Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Rums is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Auckland?

Hi, I'm moving to Auckland in August 2011. I shall be working in Panmure with some travelling around the rest of the North Island.

My kids are grown up and live in Wellington and Christchurch so I don't need to worry about schooling. I shall be on my own so feel I want to be near things to do to meet people. I don't mind being a little out of town, but not too remote at this stage.

I shall be renting until I get residency so would appreciate any advice regarding good places to live baring in mind travelling to Panmure and getting out and about.

Many thanks,
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live in Auckland?

Mission Bay. Awesome place
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

craigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant future

I'll second that. Moved in here about a month ago and havn't looked back!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

Ellerslie is nice/affordable and a stone's throw from Panmure
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Mission Bay is one of the few places I would like to live in Auckland. Devonport is another I used to live there and loved it but the Bridge would be a pain every day
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rums View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Auckland in August 2011. I shall be working in Panmure with some travelling around the rest of the North Island.

My kids are grown up and live in Wellington and Christchurch so I don't need to worry about schooling. I shall be on my own so feel I want to be near things to do to meet people. I don't mind being a little out of town, but not too remote at this stage.

I shall be renting until I get residency so would appreciate any advice regarding good places to live baring in mind travelling to Panmure and getting out and about.

Many thanks,
Mission Bay is nice but not really easy to get to from Panmure
Ellerslie like someone has said is close by
If you want to be close to "things to do and meet people" then maybe look at central suburbs like Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Mt Eden or Parnell. All of those are a bit of a commute to Panmure but not too bad considering really.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi View Post
Mission Bay is nice but not really easy to get to from Panmure
Ellerslie like someone has said is close by
If you want to be close to "things to do and meet people" then maybe look at central suburbs like Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Mt Eden or Parnell. All of those are a bit of a commute to Panmure but not too bad considering really.
I'd argue this one! Mission Bay to Panmure by car is about 10 minutes. If you don't have a car then a bus will take you from Mission Bay to Glen Innes and then it is one train station from Glen Innes to Panmure - whole journey on public transport would take around 30 mins.

It does depend on what type of lifestyle you want to achieve (and how much you have to spend). Mission Bay is lovely. All the other suburbs mentioned above are lovely - though much further to commute to Panmure compared to Mission Bay.

Last edited by P18PPS; Jun 12th 2011 at 9:36 pm. Reason: extra
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigjohnstone View Post
I'll second that. Moved in here about a month ago and havn't looked back!
I also agree but I live there so it would be wrong to vote for another place. I have to say all of the other places listes are also good. The good news is that you live towards the CBD (Mission Bay etc) and travelling to Panmure you are going in the opposite direction to everyone else if you work 9 to 5 so that may also be a big positive.

Good luck wherever you chose
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

jaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nice

Hi, I live in Ellerslie which is about 5 mins drive from Panmure. It has good bus and rail links to the city and easy access to the motorway. Hope this helps
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Rums is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your comments. I will have a car so what you have said about the commute sounds ok. Outside of work, I want to integrate so thinking about activites to get to as well as good bars, live music etc to mix with people.

I'll check the areas you suggetsed.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:08 am
Just Joined

adelee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rums View Post

Many thanks,
I'd live near Panmure to avoid having to cross harbour bridge which can be very busy at peak times. Mission Bay is lovely. I live on North Shore which is nice but other side of the bridge. Ponsonby is a nice area is you like 'quirky bohemian'. Not that easy to meet people but people are friendly. Good luck
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

melanieanne63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rums
was wondering how you got on with the area search round Auckland and with meeting people. looking to get out there myself in jan 2012 and my biggest worry's that I won't meet people, have one friend in the area but am sure she won't want me hanging on to her skirt.....