Where to live?

Old Apr 11th 2022, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by paddy234
True, it may be affordable for the average millionaire but Is that the standard which New Zealand wishes to aim for? What about a land for working families to grow and flourish?
I totally agree with u.
Look at my posts on the thread I said it's pretty much impossible to find what the OP is looking for and then just get pelters of the NZ faithful for putting another perspective on it.
99% of people immigrating from UK can imagine somewhere like bay plenty around the mount area. is the dream for most potential immigrants with young family. not 10 hectors on west coast's south island with nothing but sheep for 50 mile radius or south tarankai because house prices are below average. there is a reason why they are below average no wants to be there and there is no decent transport links and local industries have closed.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The thing is that nowhere is really affordable anymore if on a local wage. As you say, unless you have help from parents or already own a home, it's extremely difficult (although NZ is probably on another level).
You see the same in Europe and the world is getting smaller and smaller. Where they have space, it's either the climate or political situation that makes people flee and they all move to already overpopulated areas.
Those from high cost countries who are lucky to have equity in their home at least have more choices.
The UK is no where near the level of NZ affordable housing.
Most British people can still get on housing ladder easy aslong as you live outside easy daily commute distance of London. I'm 1hour 40 on train from kingcross you can still pick up terrace houses and ex council houses in the area for 100k.
I would say pretty much the whole of NZ is on the same level as London in UK unaffordable on local wage. except for the extreme areas none wants to live that has affordable housing.
I wouldn't want to live anywhere in NZ that wasn't easy access to one of the NZ cities.

Last edited by jarv5116; Apr 11th 2022 at 6:55 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

coining it in due to high house prices but complaining about high house prices, oh the hypocrisy of it all.

I guess affordable depends on what you want. If you feel you need to spend ¾ million for house to be "nice" that's cool. However there are currently hundreds of property's under 500k in chch city and 1000's in Canterbury. For a young couple on average wages, 500k is affordable.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

1¾ hour commute each way, who on earth thinks that is any kind of life. People who are happy to let others raise their kids and think getting home in time to look in on little jonny who is already asleep when they get home. 🤔

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 11th 2022 at 10:31 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The thing is that nowhere is really affordable anymore if on a local wage. As you say, unless you have help from parents or already own a home, it's extremely difficult (although NZ is probably on another level).
You see the same in Europe and the world is getting smaller and smaller. Where they have space, it's either the climate or political situation that makes people flee and they all move to already overpopulated areas.
Those from high cost countries who are lucky to have equity in their home at least have more choices.
Nowhere in New Zealand however there are plenty of options in Australia with Perth being one. I am building a home in Perth today that would easily be almost 1 million dollars in North Canterbury, how insane is that? As for Europe, again it depends where you go. Stay out of the main cities and they are quite affordable. New Zealand has to be the worst developed nation today for affordable housing.

Last edited by paddy234; Apr 11th 2022 at 10:49 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Justcol
coining it in due to high house prices but complaining about high house prices, oh the hypocrisy of it all.

I guess affordable depends on what you want. If you feel you need to spend ¾ million for house to be "nice" that's cool. However there are currently hundreds of property's under 500k in chch city and 1000's in Canterbury. For a young couple on average wages, 500k is affordable.
I'm not complaining. I just feel sorry for the younger generation who will be forced to leave the country. All we wanted is to make a small bit of profit and we ended up getting more than we imagined due to it being the beginning of the boom. As I said if we waited another year we could easily have gotten another $200,000 so we certainly didn't coin it. All I want is for myself and others is to have the chance to own their own home that is of a quality that can sustain a family. I've got a home or at least it's being built but others may never get that chance and I certainly wasn't going to stay In a land in which my kids will be forced to leave.

Also i have not seen one suitable family home that is remotely close to 500k in Christchurch or North Canterbury

Last edited by paddy234; Apr 11th 2022 at 11:14 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

it would say you wluld be closer to 600k for a liveable house.
Just say a young couple in 20s on $25 a hour.
need to come up with 120k for a deposit.
Its not as easy as your saying col.
maybe for people with decent bit equity moving to the area feom Aucklanf or high earners not for young working couples to flourish with a family.
Old Apr 13th 2022, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

1¾ hour commute each way, who on earth thinks that is any kind of life. People who are happy to let others raise their kids and think getting home in time to look in on little jonny who is already asleep when they get home. 🤔
I know I couldn't be doing with the stress.
to be fair I think the most I have ever spent commuting was when I was in Auckland. Had a company vehicle so didn't really care about diesel or RUC.
I'm now 4 mins on push bike or 1min in a car commute everyday. 0.8 mile commute