Where to live?

Old Feb 13th 2022, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Justcol
I live in it 😂
Small Town ✓
Close to a beach(30 mins) ✓
Affordable housing ✓
Close to bigger towns for work if necessary(20 mins commute)✓
Don't need a motorway or dual carriageway as there's so little traffic on the state highway that runs through the town.✓
Daily temp here has probably averaged 25° since since the end of October (I've been off for 3 months so have enjoyed every day of it) however I didn't mention it to the OP as it might be to far south for him, which is fine.
The point is these places do exist, there are plenty of them around. The OP didn't mention loads of work, he just wants a job. Same with motorways, that's one of your priorities not his and if you don't work or live in a large city they are not necessary. I can probably travel a lot further at a higher speed on my commute than anyone at the same time of day on a motorway, and the bonus is I get to drive through stunning scenery on roads that attract motorcyclists and tourist from all over the world 😁

For the OP, don't be put off by the south, it's a stunning place to live. I believe Alexandra in Otago is the hottest and dryest place on average in NZ. It's not all cold and rain down here.

My wife, the kiwi of the family says some of the small towns around Taranaki, Wanganui, manawatu, New plymouth or Palmerston North might be suitable. She says especially Wanganui.

You must be one of the luckiest guys or family I may have ever meet or heard off. maybe like the stuff what dreams are made off.

Move from the UK and slid straight into that life style. the next day and living the dream a day after you left the UK on a plane with your family.

Ooooooo hang on a minute I didn't quite happen like that though did it?

Go on trade me OP and have a look at the areas people are saying. look for a job in your expertise and see if anyone is willing to sponsor a random from england or give u a job and piss around with visas for 6months or a year waiting. you will realise after a month im right and your p@@sing in the wind and not get your feet wet.
you will end up in one of the cites to begin with and take any job to get out there and be locked with a visa for 2 or 3 years and then take it from there like 99% of immigrants end up doing.

Last edited by jarv5116; Feb 13th 2022 at 12:24 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to step back from the keyboard, you're taking this stuff far to seriously. If your experience didn't go to plan that doesn't make it everyone else's reality.

Originally Posted by jarv5116
You must be one of the luckiest guys or family I may have ever meet or heard off. maybe like the stuff what dreams are made off.
Thank you 😊
As with most things in life it's not always been an easy path to walk but you keep your eyes on the prize and things worked out. To make things even better I'm about to buy a few hectares to build my retirement place on. Exciting times ahead. 😀👍
Old Feb 17th 2022, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

As with most things in life it's not always been an easy path to walk but you keep your eyes on the prize and things worked out. To make things even better I'm about to buy a few hectares to build my retirement place on. Exciting times ahead. 😀👍
A cheeky question and please don't feel obliged to answer, but about how much is a few hectares these days?
Obviously, depends on location!

Just getting increasingly depressed watching NZ house prices climb towards completely out of reach, should we ever get as far as getting a visa to emigrate.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
A cheeky question and please don't feel obliged to answer, but about how much is a few hectares these days?
Obviously, depends on location!

Just getting increasingly depressed watching NZ house prices climb towards completely out of reach, should we ever get as far as getting a visa to emigrate.
The piece I'm after (1.7ha) is around $250k. Another close by was 300+gst but is now open to offers.

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 17th 2022 at 4:58 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Today's article on stuff should help you get an idea of averages both prices and incomes (this ratio you can compare to back home or anywhere obvs).
can't post link but google something like...
Stuff 'Drastic fall' in NZ housing affordability takes it to worst level on record
Old Mar 16th 2022, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

ohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really nice

Originally Posted by jarv5116
tell me where a moto or dual carriageways exists in NZ that's countryside and accessible and affordable like 90% of the uk
What this guy is trying to find is impossible.
Cheap housing near a nice beach with loads of work commuting distance to a city and affordable.
kaiapoi in North Canterbury ticks all of those boxes
Old Mar 16th 2022, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohnojo
kaiapoi in North Canterbury ticks all of those boxes
The affordable housing bit is the main problem and hard to find anything under 200K.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 2:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The piece I'm after (1.7ha) is around $250k. Another close by was 300+gst but is now open to offers.

Looks good Col.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 3:23 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Interest rates are on the rise though which will likely moderate house price growth.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Looks good Col.
Technicalities caused it to fall through 😔
Sad at having to pull out but there'll always be the next one.👍
​​​
Old Mar 17th 2022, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The affordable housing bit is the main problem and hard to find anything under 200K.
$200k is that a realistic "affordable" price. That would equate to £100k, and you certainly can't buy anything (or anything you'd want to live in) for under that price

Haven't seen anything except houses for removal for under two hundy in a long time.

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 17th 2022 at 7:31 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

$200k is that a realistic "affordable" price. That would equate to £100k, and you certainly can't buy anything (or anything you'd want to live in) for under that price

Haven't seen anything except houses for removal for under two hundy in a long time.
Sorry meant £200K, so $380K when they'd convert. Of course affordable is different for all, but realistically affordable would be something you could afford with an average salary, ideally minimum wage and still manage to save money. Reality is often different with current prices, but that would be more or less affordable taking everything else out.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 17th 2022 at 8:59 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sorry meant £200K, so $380K when they'd convert. Of course affordable is different for all, but realistically affordable would be something you could afford with an average salary, ideally minimum wage and still manage to save money. Reality is often different with current prices, but that would be more or less affordable taking everything else out.
The OP hasn't been back but good luck finding a livable home for $380k anywhere that ticks any of the other boxes; the median house price is around $880k nationally. For sub $400k you'll be looking at either a dunger that needs to be bowled, or the farthest extremes at either ends of the country, Invercargill, West Coast, Greymouth, Buller, West Coast, Whanganui and Far North except the nicer and more popular coastal areas.
Old Mar 19th 2022, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
The OP hasn't been back but good luck finding a livable home for $380k anywhere that ticks any of the other boxes; the median house price is around $880k nationally. For sub $400k you'll be looking at either a dunger that needs to be bowled, or the farthest extremes at either ends of the country, Invercargill, West Coast, Greymouth, Buller, West Coast, Whanganui and Far North except the nicer and more popular coastal areas.
Bringing home how much has changed over the years.
When we first looked at moving in the late 1980s our house was about £200k (short term housing boom) and there were $4 to £1.
So around $800k budget.
At the time we could have bought most houses in Auckland (not including the mansions, obviously).

Moving on, our house now is around £400k but the dollar is 2:1 with the pound.
Guess what?
Our budget would be around $800k again.
Which is less than the median price nationally.

If we don't get to move soon we won't be able to afford a one bedroom flat.
Old Mar 19th 2022, 7:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat

If we don't get to move soon we won't be able to afford a one bedroom flat.
Does it have to be Auckland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.