Where to live?

Old Feb 7th 2022, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

HFordy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live?

My family and I are planning to move to New Zealand. Originally we had our heart set on the Nelson area, but looking at the house prices we might need to look elsewhere.
Any suggestions for a family friendly small town with affordable housing?
Preferably near a beach.
Job opportunities for someone in the motor trade.
Not far north or south.
Either island considered.
Good weather.
Positive replies only please. 🙂
Old Feb 7th 2022, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by HFordy
My family and I are planning to move to New Zealand. Originally we had our heart set on the Nelson area, but looking at the house prices we might need to look elsewhere.
Preferably near a beach.
Not far north or south.
Good weather.
When you find it, can you let us all know?

Can you please define what you would consider to be 'affordable' and 'good weather'? The median price of a home in Nelson is $830k and the national average is over $1m , so not sure if you can do much better in terms of good weather/ beaches and affordability combo.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 7th 2022 at 9:05 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Canterbury.Christchurch. Plenty of areas are still affordable and it's a nice place. Some cbd areas are still being developed after the quake but I think it's a really nice place with a great center.
there are plenty of smaller places or outer suburbs dotted around that might be suitable if you don't fancy the city itself. I guess it depends what your personal taste is.
Have a look at, Rolleston, Lincoln, Leeston, Lyttleton, Kaiapoi, New Brighton, Sumner, Amberley, Rangiora. They've not all got a beach but you're not that far away and beaches do get tiresome
Timaru is very affordable, as is Oamaru. Asburton is a nice place for families.
this place is 10 mins out of Timaru. Could do with a wee bit of a facelift but it's a good size with a hectare of land and plenty of sheds (never underestimate the importance of sheds in NZ) there's plenty around at this price or less
https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential/lifestyle-property/auction-3342058680.htm
​​​​​

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 8th 2022 at 7:32 am.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

House prices in NZ are pretty crazy all over the country for what you get for your money.
If there cheap there cheap for a reason. Low income region with little to no work which pays low.
Even the cheap areas houses are getting snapped up as second homes Bach if its in the countryside and a commute distance to a city.

The cities (Auckland) is where most of the work is. And 90% of the time is where most people start there nz journey. but is unfortunately its on par with London prices with lower wages.

Example I lived in a 3 bed house that timber built and honestly more like a shed. In a rough area in South Auckland (manurewa). To rent the house is 650 dollars a week and to buy it was 750k dollars.

I would be very carefully before selling eveything and moving to NZ. especially with a young family.
Look at reasons you want to move to NZ and why and see if moving to a different area in the UK might be a more reasonable solution.

Living in the countryside in NZ is remote and diffcult compared to the UK. The UK is about 1000s× more accessible all over than anywere in NZ.

Example you can live in pure countryside in the UK and just be 5 or 10 mins of main carriageway or motorway 30 min drive to city on motorway. Stuff like that don't exist in NZ it's very remote and spread out.

Last edited by jarv5116; Feb 8th 2022 at 7:27 am.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Example you can live in pure countryside in the UK and just be 5 or 10 mins of main carriageway or motorway 30 min drive to city on motorway. Stuff like that don't exist in NZ it's very remote and spread out.
Nonsense
Old Feb 8th 2022, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Nonsense
tell me where a moto or dual carriageways exists in NZ that's countryside and accessible and affordable like 90% of the uk
What this guy is trying to find is impossible.
Cheap housing near a nice beach with loads of work commuting distance to a city and affordable.

Last edited by jarv5116; Feb 8th 2022 at 7:44 am.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Do passing lanes count?!
Old Feb 8th 2022, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone will have a different opinion. It's probably pointless to argue about affordability if the OP hasn't even got a job offer yet.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

'Job opportunities for someone in the motor trade' - what does this mean? A mechanic, a sales person, insurance/finance advisor ......?
Old Feb 9th 2022, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Affordable housing?

New Zealand??

Good luck

The house I'm in at the moment sold for $410,000 during the time COVID started. This house is now worth $650,000. I wouldn't pay $450,000 for it, let alone that amount

Many are heading to auctions as well to get more for their buck.

Look on the Mike Pero site for a general query. Most of Mike Pero estate agents are trying to encourage their sellers to put a figure on their house so potential buyers can have an idea of what they'd be looking at paying

Old Feb 9th 2022, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tell me where a moto or dual carriageways exists in NZ that's countryside and accessible and affordable like 90% of the uk
What this guy is trying to find is impossible.
Cheap housing near a nice beach with loads of work commuting distance to a city and affordable.
I live in it 😂
Small Town ✓
Close to a beach(30 mins) ✓
Affordable housing ✓
Close to bigger towns for work if necessary(20 mins commute)✓
Don't need a motorway or dual carriageway as there's so little traffic on the state highway that runs through the town.✓
Daily temp here has probably averaged 25° since since the end of October (I've been off for 3 months so have enjoyed every day of it) however I didn't mention it to the OP as it might be to far south for him, which is fine.
The point is these places do exist, there are plenty of them around. The OP didn't mention loads of work, he just wants a job. Same with motorways, that's one of your priorities not his and if you don't work or live in a large city they are not necessary. I can probably travel a lot further at a higher speed on my commute than anyone at the same time of day on a motorway, and the bonus is I get to drive through stunning scenery on roads that attract motorcyclists and tourist from all over the world 😁

For the OP, don't be put off by the south, it's a stunning place to live. I believe Alexandra in Otago is the hottest and dryest place on average in NZ. It's not all cold and rain down here.

My wife, the kiwi of the family says some of the small towns around Taranaki, Wanganui, manawatu, New plymouth or Palmerston North might be suitable. She says especially Wanganui.

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 9th 2022 at 6:11 am.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 1:43 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

House prices in NZ are pretty crazy all over the country for what you get for your money.
People where saying that a couple of years ago when the average house was selling for half the price though. ​I'm a bit apprehensive now that a house price crash might take the rest of the economy with it, we can only hope that Treasury and the Reserve Bank have some top level boffins making sure this won't cascade.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I live in it 😂
Small Town ✓
Affordable housing ✓
Don't need a motorway or dual carriageway as there's so little traffic on the state highway that runs through the town.✓
Daily temp here has probably averaged 25° since since the end of October (I've been off for 3 months so have enjoyed every day of it) however I didn't mention it to the OP as it might be to far south for him, which is fine.
The point is these places do exist, there are plenty of them around. The OP didn't mention loads of work, he just wants a job. Same with motorways, that's one of your priorities not his and if you don't work or live in a large city they are not necessary. I can probably travel a lot further at a higher speed on my commute than anyone at the same time of day on a motorway, and the bonus is I get to drive through stunning scenery on roads that attract motorcyclists and tourist from all over the world 😁

For the OP, don't be put off by the south, it's a stunning place to live. I believe Alexandra in Otago is the hottest and dryest place on average in NZ. It's not all cold and rain down here.

My wife, the kiwi of the family says some of the small towns around Taranaki, Wanganui, manawatu, New plymouth or Palmerston North might be suitable. She says especially Wanganui.

Then again without a Visa and no kiwi wife maybe the Isle of Wight might suit OP. Would tick all those boxes:
Small Town ✓
Affordable housing ✓

And you have the so called good weather
Old Feb 12th 2022, 12:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HFordy
Preferably near a beach.
Not far north or south.
Good weather.
So. For this on spec query I would go with JustCol's post. South of South and a few NI towns perhaps like Wanganui.
Weather is relative to what one prefers and NZ is a myriad of micro-climates.
Affordable housing depends on what $$ one has already and what earnings may be. Existing home Equity + net Income v outgoings and the like.

Like SanDiegoGirl I am not sure what 'job opportunities means .One will go where the job offer is , plus also that said job offer meets the criteria to attain residency.

Old Feb 12th 2022, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Then again without a Visa and no kiwi wife maybe the Isle of Wight might suit OP. Would tick all those boxes:
Small Town ✓
Affordable housing ✓

And you have the so called good weather
But the op didn't say he was moving to the isle of Wite did he?
And my reply was in response to another I'll informed post

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 12th 2022 at 2:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.