Where to live?

Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Where to live?

I've been looking at different areas, Merivale. Burnside, Fendalton, Riccarton and Beckenham. Can anyone give me any help on where to think about going. To my understanding all areas have good schooling. The kids dont really want to go to an all boys or all girls school, they would rather go to mixed. Please help. Getting a little bit sick of looking. Cheers.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:23 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Maz1
I've been looking at different areas, Merivale. Burnside, Fendalton, Riccarton and Beckenham. Can anyone give me any help on where to think about going. To my understanding all areas have good schooling. The kids dont really want to go to an all boys or all girls school, they would rather go to mixed. Please help. Getting a little bit sick of looking. Cheers.
Cant help but didn't want you feeling ignored!
I can absolutely guarantee that Poppets will popp upp in a minute with a link that will have all the answers!
Karen B
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
I can absolutely guarantee that Poppets will popp upp in a minute with a link that will have all the answers!
Karen B
no pressure there then!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:33 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
no pressure there then!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Karen B
hi, only job half done i'm affraid. I'm also affraid you may already have seen some of this but here goes . have managed to find a suburb guide to 3 of the areas so far , sorry its not much use but i don't know a lot about the south island at all

beckenham
http://www4.ljhooker.co.nz/locality/...suburbcode=118

upper riccarton
http://www4.ljhooker.co.nz/locality/...uburbcode=1964

fendalton
http://www4.ljhooker.co.nz/locality/...suburbcode=393
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:56 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by poppets
hi, only job half done i'm affraid. I'm also affraid you may already have seen some of this but here goes . have managed to find a suburb guide to 3 of the areas so far , sorry its not much use but i don't know a lot about the south island at all

beckenham
http://www4.ljhooker.co.nz/locality/...suburbcode=118

upper riccarton
http://www4.ljhooker.co.nz/locality/...uburbcode=1964

fendalton
http://www4.ljhooker.co.nz/locality/...suburbcode=393
See - told you she would do it!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:58 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

First of all, have you found a downloadable map... that really does help you figure out where things are ( <- icky winky smiley)
Second, do you have any pins on the map so far - ie job, distance from city centre, close to beach, hills, newer housing, malls etc etc.
Can't help with schooling but can with the suburbs..
Merivale and Fendalton are suburbs next to each other close to the town centre, northwest of Hagley park. Very expensive, this is the posh moneyed landed gentry part of ChCh. Full of dentists and doctors. You pay for the address, not for the buildings.
Riccarton - site of a very big mall if that is your thing. West of Hagley Park. Not so leafy, very busy, has a lot of student housing.
Burnside. Out by airport, much further away from the city centre. Newer housing, never lived out there so can't comment.
Beckenham. Where I live, so I am biased. South Christchurch. 20 min walk from city centre, close to the Port Hills for recreation, good facilities and local shops. This side of town suits me very well.

Any more questions, just post them up =)
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Apple12
First of all, have you found a downloadable map... that really does help you figure out where things are ( <- icky winky smiley)
Second, do you have any pins on the map so far - ie job, distance from city centre, close to beach, hills, newer housing, malls etc etc.
Merivale and Fendalton are suburbs next to each other close to the town centre, northwest of Hagley park. Very expensive, this is the posh moneyed landed gentry part of ChCh. Full of dentists and doctors. You pay for the address, not for the buildings.
Riccarton - site of a very big mall if that is your thing. West of Hagley Park. Not so leafy, very busy, has a lot of student housing.
Burnside. Out by airport, much further away from the city centre. Newer housing, never lived out there so can't comment.
Beckenham. Where I live, so I am biased. South Christchurch. 20 min walk from city centre, close to the Port Hills for recreation, good facilities and local shops. This side of town suits me very well.

oh thank god someone who knows what they are talking about

have found this though , but not sure how helpful it is

http://www.localeye.info/pages/?catId=129
http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Christchurch/Migrants/
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

See - told you she would do it!!

i should start charging for this , turn my addiction into something useful
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Apple12

Hi thanks for the info. I am viewing a propery in the Birdwood Ave area, do you know this street? whats it like?
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi thanks for the info. I am viewing a propery in the Birdwood Ave area, do you know this street? whats it like?
I walk round by the river regularly, it is one of my regular haunts. I haven't taken much notice of the houses on that particular street though, but the area is nice.
Generally older (1920s-1940s) style single story wooden villas that may or may not have been done up, certainly not a new subdivision. Lots of trees and nice with the river (more a stream) close by. The houses on Waimea Tce can be flooded but only some as the height of the banks vary. Local shops are good, big supermarket just up the road. Best butcher in ChCh at the local shops. Port Hills close by, nice cafes with good coffee in 10 min walking distance.

PM me if you want any further info.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 4:51 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Burnside high and Colbam intermediate are good schools in the city.
I liked the schools but not city life so my kids now go to a rural primary school and Rangiora High and I'm very impressed with both.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

I have noticed that apart from good schools theres really nothing for kids to do. My son has joined a footy team, but apart from that - nothing. Is this the case or am I not looking hard enough.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:07 am
Account Closed

I have noticed that apart from good schools theres really nothing for kids to do. My son has joined a footy team, but apart from that - nothing. Is this the case or am I not looking hard enough.
Hi Maz,
I think you are not looking hard enough. It is pretty tricky to figure out this one before you have got here, and before your son even starts at school
The teenagers I know are busy with sports, music, mountain biking, the mall, surfing, working at the supermarket to earn some cash etc etc.
Once your son has met some kids at school he will find things to do. Not all stuff in NZ is organised after school stuff, a lot of kids make their own fun (generally not illegally )

Don't panic, and all these questions will be answered once you are here.

Safe travels.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:22 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Apple12;4319184]First of all, have you found a downloadable map...QUOTE]

Here's the link to one i use...hope it's helpful
Mandie

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/maps/Wises/