Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where has everyone else considered (as well as NZ)

Where has everyone else considered (as well as NZ)

Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Where has everyone else considered (as well as NZ)

We are looking at maybe Canada, as a back up plan if NZ falls through, and I wondered where else other people had looked at?

So, if you were considered somewhere else, where was it, and what made you decide NZ was better?

Thanks,
Jane
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where has everyone else considered (as well as NZ)

Originally Posted by JaneAS
We are looking at maybe Canada, as a back up plan if NZ falls through, and I wondered where else other people had looked at?

So, if you were considered somewhere else, where was it, and what made you decide NZ was better?

Thanks,
Jane
Hi Jane,
We know people in Canada (Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary) and what they say about the winters put us off. It was then a toss up between Australia and New Zealand (we have spent some time in both). Wanted New Zealand (due to the milder climate) but didn't get near the passmark (185 last March) so tried to get a temporary residence for Australia. Had my skills assessed and then couldn't get state sponsership. In the meantime NZ has dropped it's passmark to 100 so we went for that instead.
To be honest we would have been happy with Australia or NZ as they are both great places. I think my wife is secretly relieved though because she hates creepy crawlies!!!!
Mark
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Jane,
We know people in Canada (Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary) and what they say about the winters put us off...
We are Canadians going to NZ. We have considered the weather in chosing to go there and discounted Australia because it is too hot. Here it is either too hot or too cold and one if often trapped in the house. I used to live in south east UK, though not too cold, too wet, too expensive, but still very nice. I worked in USA for a few years, but the society is not for me. I love Arizona and Utah though. Believe it or not, Canadians and Americans are not quite the same. There is a marked change in the mentality as you cross the border.

So, since we are looking for some adventure and British Columbia is too crowded and expensive (lower mainland anyway). Though southern Chile is very nice, but no Spainish language skills here. Bogata has great weather but is very big and we don't go in for kidnapping. All that is left was New Zealand and so we may not be better off there we hope to be able to enjoy our selves incrementally a little more. I hope lamb is cheaper, though Ontario lamb is a nicer meat.

Michael
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Where has everyone else considered (as well as NZ)

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
I hope lamb is cheaper, though Ontario lamb is a nicer meat.

Michael
Lamb is not cheap here and all the good stuff gets exported so the quality is not that great either.

Agree with some of your other points though. I have lived in Canada (7 years) and the good ol US of A (2 years) a there is a world of difference. So much so that during my period in the US I went up to Canada at every opportunity for some sanity.

Cheers
Martin
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Martin. Too bad about the lamb. I love it. We have a nice butcher not far from here. He is very picky about his lamb and so it is always good.

I don't know what it is specifically about Americans. I wish I could put my finger on it. I always feel so nice once we cross back over the boarder to our side.

Looking forward to making our move next end of August. I have found that I am now so anxious for the time to pass I find it hard to concentrate at work. I suppose that will change now though as I had a phone call from the Canada Revenue Agency today. They want to visit and do an audit of our Corporate tax returns for the last two years. The chap who called told me it would be more than for a few days. So, something to take my mind off of things.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Thanks Martin. Too bad about the lamb. I love it. We have a nice butcher not far from here. He is very picky about his lamb and so it is always good.

I don't know what it is specifically about Americans. I wish I could put my finger on it. I always feel so nice once we cross back over the boarder to our side.

Looking forward to making our move next end of August. I have found that I am now so anxious for the time to pass I find it hard to concentrate at work. I suppose that will change now though as I had a phone call from the Canada Revenue Agency today. They want to visit and do an audit of our Corporate tax returns for the last two years. The chap who called told me it would be more than for a few days. So, something to take my mind off of things.
Good luck with everything. As an aside I spent my honeymoon at Niagara Falls - say hello to them for me.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:39 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Spain (mum lives there)

France.....love the country ...shame its full of French
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneAS

Thanks,
Jane

We would really have liked to have gone to OZ.....Gold coast preferably...but circumstances prevent this and I can get the points for NZ.

We looked at Canada, but it's too cold...

Steve & Lynn
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future

We had considered Australia, but we are TOO old but NZ looks and sounds like a lovely place

Joanna
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoannaD
We had considered Australia, but we are TOO old but NZ looks and sounds like a lovely place

Joanna
We looked at Oz (since I grew up there) but, since I never got citizenship, I can't go back and now I'm too old too. Damn!!! I have loads of mates over there too. We have been looking towards NZ but circumstances are changing at the moment so destiny is in a state of flux.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
We looked at Oz (since I grew up there) but, since I never got citizenship, I can't go back and now I'm too old too. Damn!!! I have loads of mates over there too. We have been looking towards NZ but circumstances are changing at the moment so destiny is in a state of flux.
What do you mean too old? Is there an age limit to live in OZ.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boopy
What do you mean too old? Is there an age limit to live in OZ.
Yep there sure is. If you are over 45 they will not even entertain the idea of allowing you in even if you were in a profession they were desperate for. We spoke to them at the Emigrate event earlier this year at Sandown. They were actually quite blunt and rude. They just don't deserve me - the flamin' mongrels!!

Regards
Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Yep there sure is. If you are over 45 they will not even entertain the idea of allowing you in even if you were in a profession they were desperate for. We spoke to them at the Emigrate event earlier this year at Sandown. They were actually quite blunt and rude. They just don't deserve me - the flamin' mongrels!!

Regards
In fact, the way there points system is structured it's very very difficult to get to the passmark if you are over 40.....
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:40 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

We are Canadians going to NZ. We have considered the weather in chosing to go there and discounted Australia because it is too hot. Here it is either too hot or too cold and one if often trapped in the house. I used to live in south east UK, though not too cold, too wet, too expensive, but still very nice. I worked in USA for a few years, but the society is not for me. I love Arizona and Utah though. Believe it or not, Canadians and Americans are not quite the same. There is a marked change in the mentality as you cross the border.

So, since we are looking for some adventure and British Columbia is too crowded and expensive (lower mainland anyway). Though southern Chile is very nice, but no Spainish language skills here. Bogata has great weather but is very big and we don't go in for kidnapping. All that is left was New Zealand and so we may not be better off there we hope to be able to enjoy our selves incrementally a little more. I hope lamb is cheaper, though Ontario lamb is a nicer meat.

Michael
We left Christchurch and stopped off in Canada (Edmonton/Lloydminster) for 2 weeks. It was cold and snow every place, but. We were warm, yes warm. What i mean is that the average Kiwi house has no insulation at all. When its cold and snows (It does snow) you will really feel it. If the houses were built to Canadian standards then they would be great, but alas most arn't. Goods seemed cheaper in Canada too as well as more choice. still if i were rich i would live in both countries.

I have tried Anchorage but no visa, almost Victoria, job fell through and ended up in NZ and now back in the UK. As for you trapped in the house part, well its similar in NZ. The sun is VERY dangerous there and you have to be very careful. Its can get very hot too, i saw a bird in the garden struggling to just get up as it could not fly due to the heat. But there is a good outdoors life there, just make sure you get plenty of money otherwise you WILL struggle.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:09 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

You got loads of mates everwhere my son!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.