British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Where to go for a beer in Auckland City? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/where-go-beer-auckland-city-882619/)

awksie Sep 1st 2016 1:38 am

Where to go for a beer in Auckland City?

Hi, I am new to Auckland this week, English, male, 53, was a punk rocker many years ago, but now matured. I like a beer, British sense of humour and just a good old fashioned chat. Not looking for love.

Can anyone recommend somewhere friendly, where us British ExPats can go for a beer, poss some live music.

Would rather get a proper referral than visit a biased website.

Thanks in advance if you reply :thumbup:

Justcol Sep 2nd 2016 8:49 pm

Re: Where to go for a beer in Auckland City?

There nothing like an English pub in Aux cbd
Try Vulcan lane and then spread out from there

awksie Sep 2nd 2016 9:03 pm

Justcol,

Cheers mate. Thanks for replying. I am off to watch Drury United play this afternoon, so I will try Vulcan Lane tonight, as I will be getting the train back from Papakura.

I did stumble across the 'Mac Pub' during the week and managed to get a pint of 'Porter' on draught, which impressed me.

I am looking to find a crowd who interests are simple (like mine); Beer, Music, Football.......not necessarily in that order......oh, and 'Hot Chips' too :thumb::thumb:

Justcol Sep 2nd 2016 11:28 pm

Good luck with that

awksie Sep 3rd 2016 2:55 pm

So far........epic fail.

JoviPrincess Sep 3rd 2016 9:09 pm

I don't know where in Auckland you're looking but when I was there I really enjoyed the bars down by the harbour. Hope you find somewhere decent.

Stormer999 Sep 3rd 2016 9:44 pm

Where ever you are in the World looking for a pub head to the nearest Irish Bar.....simple and that includes Shanghai....;)

Ianriv Sep 8th 2016 3:23 am

The Barrell Inn in Howick is an Irish pub that has a great fire, acceptable beer and the odd bit of live music. It's the closest i have found to a pub pub but even then it just scrapes the description. Shame it's a mission to get to and more importantly from.

The Spitting Feathers is touted as an English pub, but it's more of an industrial building pretending to be a bar. That sells Carling. And is the only place that imports barrels of Guinness instead of post mix like every where else down here. There might be something that will appeal to you there.

bearskin Sep 9th 2016 4:01 am

Browns Bay has a couple of decent pubs if you have transport - the Deep Creek Brewery and Speakers Corner. In town there are a few 'irish' pubs here and there, or try Galbraiths or the Juke Joint around Mt Eden train station area.

awksie Sep 9th 2016 4:52 am

Thanks for the replies about both Howick and Browns Bay. Perfect timing.

Next week I am hoping to spend a week at Botany, so will definitely check out The Barrill Inn, a bit of live music sounds good. Great shout.

Also next week, I am hoping to meet up with a 'mate of a mate' in Browns Bay, so again, I will give the recommendations a go.

Thanks for your positive replies guys.

Ianriv Sep 9th 2016 4:54 am

No one hopes to spend a week in Botany!

garethwm Sep 9th 2016 6:35 am

Doolan Brothers in Botany Town Centre also has live music on Friday and Saturday nights from 9 pm. Also an Irish pub. Pretty good menu too.

awksie Sep 10th 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ianriv (Post 12047360)
No one hopes to spend a week in Botany!

Maybe it depends on where you are coming from??

awksie Sep 10th 2016 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by garethwm (Post 12047404)
Doolan Brothers in Botany Town Centre also has live music on Friday and Saturday nights from 9 pm. Also an Irish pub. Pretty good menu too.

Cool....I know Doolan Brothers......do you know the name of the Irish Pub??

garethwm Sep 11th 2016 9:04 am

Sorry Doolans is the Irish pub. Just walked past it as a matter of fact. Goode brothers is across the rd but Doolans may suit you best.

awksie Sep 12th 2016 1:48 am

Okay, thanks for clarifying that ....... I will give Doolans a try sometime soon. Thanks.

andy1133 Sep 13th 2016 4:20 am

Here's a recommendation for you. If you want Auckland City then try Father Teds just off Queen Street (think it's cnr Wellesley St).

It's as close to a British/Irish pub atmosphere as I've ever found in NZ.

It's popular with all age groups, tourists, office workers, homesick Irish expats and people from all over - the mix of locals and expats is why it's so cool in my opinion. They have a live music regularly and the food isn't too bad either. It's probably one of the cheaper places to drink in the CBD.

awksie Sep 18th 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by andy1133 (Post 12050689)
Here's a recommendation for you. If you want Auckland City then try Father Teds just off Queen Street (think it's cnr Wellesley St).

It's as close to a British/Irish pub atmosphere as I've ever found in NZ.

It's popular with all age groups, tourists, office workers, homesick Irish expats and people from all over - the mix of locals and expats is why it's so cool in my opinion. They have a live music regularly and the food isn't too bad either. It's probably one of the cheaper places to drink in the CBD.

Andy1133........I tried Father Teds on Friday and have to agree that it was quite good and with a pint at $9.50 right in the City...that's good. I will pop back there for a music night for sure.

I do have an update though......tonight I discovered 'The Thirsty Dog' on what you locals call 'KRD' ... The K Road.

It is the nearest I have found to a pub. The owner (Jonty) is a local guy, loves his music, often has bands in and some guest ales. The beer is a little dearer ($11.50), but the experience for me was better. On Tuesday they have Poetry night, and as I am a fan of Punk Poet 'John Cooper Clarke', I'm gonna give it a go. The bar staff made me feel welcome, so it's gotta be worth another try.

On the opposite side of the road, I noticed a bar called 'The Dogs Bollix', so I will try that next.

Good Luck All.

southerner Sep 22nd 2016 2:33 am

Cool thread - wish I could be tasked with finding the best pub in town. :)

Kotare Sep 22nd 2016 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 12058494)
Cool thread - wish I could be tasked with finding the best pub in town. :)

Start a 'sticky' thread titled 'The best pub in...' unfortunately I can't contribute as there isn't a pub within 15km sob.