Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to go for a beer in Auckland City?

Where to go for a beer in Auckland City?

Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:48 am
Just Joined

awksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to go for a beer in Auckland City?

Okay, thanks for clarifying that ....... I will give Doolans a try sometime soon. Thanks.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 4:20 am
Banned

andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a recommendation for you. If you want Auckland City then try Father Teds just off Queen Street (think it's cnr Wellesley St).

It's as close to a British/Irish pub atmosphere as I've ever found in NZ.

It's popular with all age groups, tourists, office workers, homesick Irish expats and people from all over - the mix of locals and expats is why it's so cool in my opinion. They have a live music regularly and the food isn't too bad either. It's probably one of the cheaper places to drink in the CBD.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:17 am
Just Joined

awksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy1133
Here's a recommendation for you. If you want Auckland City then try Father Teds just off Queen Street (think it's cnr Wellesley St).

It's as close to a British/Irish pub atmosphere as I've ever found in NZ.

It's popular with all age groups, tourists, office workers, homesick Irish expats and people from all over - the mix of locals and expats is why it's so cool in my opinion. They have a live music regularly and the food isn't too bad either. It's probably one of the cheaper places to drink in the CBD.
Andy1133........I tried Father Teds on Friday and have to agree that it was quite good and with a pint at $9.50 right in the City...that's good. I will pop back there for a music night for sure.

I do have an update though......tonight I discovered 'The Thirsty Dog' on what you locals call 'KRD' ... The K Road.

It is the nearest I have found to a pub. The owner (Jonty) is a local guy, loves his music, often has bands in and some guest ales. The beer is a little dearer ($11.50), but the experience for me was better. On Tuesday they have Poetry night, and as I am a fan of Punk Poet 'John Cooper Clarke', I'm gonna give it a go. The bar staff made me feel welcome, so it's gotta be worth another try.

On the opposite side of the road, I noticed a bar called 'The Dogs Bollix', so I will try that next.

Good Luck All.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:33 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Cool thread - wish I could be tasked with finding the best pub in town.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Cool thread - wish I could be tasked with finding the best pub in town.
Start a 'sticky' thread titled 'The best pub in...' unfortunately I can't contribute as there isn't a pub within 15km sob.