Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to get certified copies of UK passport?

Where to get certified copies of UK passport?

Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough
Default Where to get certified copies of UK passport?

Hi,

I have to get a certified copy of my UK passport so that I can obtain a US tax ID (long story).

The US are very particular about what counts as a certified copy, so I can't just go down to the local cowboy solicitors and get them to rattle one off

I thought that I might be able to get it done via the British Embassy. However, their website lists one phone number, which states "NOT for passport enquiries" ... helpful as ever

Another option is apparently the Hague Apostille convention. When I looked at this the NZ goverment site indicates that it can only certify NZ passports.

It's a total nightmare!

Has anyone out there had to get this done before? Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

D
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:48 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to get certified copies of UK passport?

Can't you just use a local official or notary public?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

If you are in NZ you should be able to use a Justice of the Peace, you can find them in the yellow pages. Otherwise a lawyer... American embassy might be the asking point
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

In the past i have got the local Police station and the District Court in Wellington to certify copies for me without problem...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

This is what the instructions say:

Code:
You can submit copies of original documents if you do any of 
the following.

1. Have the copies certified by the issuing agency or official
custodian of the original record.

2. Have the copies notarized by a U.S. notary public legally
authorized within his or her local jurisdiction to certify that the
document is a true copy of the original. To do this, the notary
must see the valid, unaltered, original document and verify that 
the copy conforms to the original. Consular offices at U.S.
Embassies and Consulates overseas may not certify true 
copies of foreign public documents and will refer applicants to
the foreign authority that issued the document.

3. Have the copies notarized by a foreign notary. However,
foreign notaries are only acceptable as outlined by the Hague 
Convention. The Hague Convention provides for the simplified 
certification of public (including notarized) documents to be
used in countries that have joined the Convention. A 
certification will be issued in the form of an “apostille,” which will 
be attached to the copy of the document. If the document
originates in a country that is not party to the Convention,
applicants should have the document certified by the foreign
authority that issued it.
I basically don't know how to interpret these.

Option 1, I guess I'd have to be in the UK?

Option 2, Looks like that's out.

Option 3, well, I tried to look into this and found NZ notary sites, but they only deal with NZ documents?

They are very strict about what they will accept as certified and what they won't, so I want to get it right first time.

If anyone can help me interpret Option 3, or think that any of the other options apply to me, then I would be grateful for your advice.

Cheers

D
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:16 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have three options as a quick search seemed to tell me NZ isn't a HC signatory (which I find odd but you can research that yourself). If NZ isn't then

1. See if the British High Commission will certify them.

2. Post passport and copies to a UK solicitor (by prior arrangement obviously).

3. Post passport and copies to a US notary public (by prior arrangement obviously).

Can't think of any other option...
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

SidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by donnynz
Hi,

I have to get a certified copy of my UK passport so that I can obtain a US tax ID (long story).

The US are very particular about what counts as a certified copy, so I can't just go down to the local cowboy solicitors and get them to rattle one off

I thought that I might be able to get it done via the British Embassy. However, their website lists one phone number, which states "NOT for passport enquiries" ... helpful as ever

Another option is apparently the Hague Apostille convention. When I looked at this the NZ goverment site indicates that it can only certify NZ passports.

It's a total nightmare!

Has anyone out there had to get this done before? Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

D
When we needed copies for NZIS I ordered them on line. Just use Google. There are private companies that issue copies but I used the Registrars website as they were cheaper.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:34 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SidNZ
There are private companies that issue copies
Ummm, how exactly does a private company get a copy of a UK passport?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get this done to set up an Australian Business Number, you have to do it through these guys,

http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act...etails&aid=336

They will get you to take your passport to one of their pals (a notary public) and he will authenticate your passport and send it off to them for them to authenticate it to the satisfaction of the Hague Convention. And a nice 75 bucks to the solicitor and his chums!
It's easy, just expensive, didn't take long, a couple of days if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

SidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ummm, how exactly does a private company get a copy of a UK passport?
Not sure exactly but either they have a licence to access the data or....... they obtain them from the registrars website and charge a premium.