Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where is an expat's "home"?

Where is an expat's "home"?

Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where is an expat's "home"?

Last week at a gym class I explained I was going on holiday so I would not be at this week's class. A Kiwi instructor was in the conversation and she said " oh are you going home?" I immediately thought "why would I sit in my house for 10 days"?

Then I realised she thought I was going back to the UK I tried to explain I was at home here in NZ, and she kept on saying that my roots were in the UK so therefore the UK is my home.

Is home where your roots are, or is it where "you hang your hat " (old song reference) To me it's the latter.

Discuss

Jan
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

HelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where is an expat's "home"?

I lived in Cambridge for 3 years and always felt home was in Wales and counted down the time before I could return however if you are settled wherever and it feels like your 'home' then it doesn't matter where your roots are that is your home IMO of course!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:00 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up as a kind of transient.
Dad was a prison governor, we moved every three to four years.
I then joined the Army and went where I was sent.
Here took a lot of desire and effort to get to, and with my history, I was lucky to be let in.
I'm grateful to NZ for giving me the opportunity to call it home.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:52 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Home is where your debt is ....
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

hate being an immigrant.

been here more than half of my life, but my accents - kiwis (including other immigrants who speak poor English) - sometimes they think I' been here 3 months something ,,, and they often ask me.. are you going home? .. or... when are you going home? ? (I don't go home...just not interested.) or are you a student? (do I look that young?? ) or are you working here??? etc etc.

occasionally I am tired of repeating the same dumb answer, / listen to same dumb questions over and over again.. perhaps forever...? as long as I live here...

home is where I live NOW. Why bother?

I try to minimize socializing. prefer being alone than rather hang around in groups of dumb ppl and talk(ing?) cr@p or rubbish.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 7th 2011 at 9:43 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:57 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Home is what I mean it to be at the time and usually people get my meaning due to the context.
It can be where I live now or the UK in general or where I was born and brought up. I call all of them home and they all are but in different ways.
Where my parents live and I was brought up will always retain some sense of home to me even though my 'other' home is here in Chch. Confusing, possibly but I haven't had any misunderstandings yet...
When I visit the UK I will return home to NZ
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Persephone
Home is what I mean it to be at the time and usually people get my meaning due to the context.
It can be where I live now or the UK in general or where I was born and brought up. I call all of them home and they all are but in different ways.
Where my parents live and I was brought up will always retain some sense of home to me even though my 'other' home is here in Chch. Confusing, possibly but I haven't had any misunderstandings yet...
When I visit the UK I will return home to NZ
I get you.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Surrey is my home but Somerset is where I live. When we move the UK will be my home but NZ will be where I live just as it was before. Happily I like NZ enough to make a happy life there.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

My heart is in England, probably always will be. I live in NZ presently and for the forseeable future. It was reasonably telling at the weekend that my husband had a measure of brandy on Sunday evening and remarked, 'this reminds me of home.' Home being England. I got tucked into the Pimms and Lemonade and said, 'I'm presently at the Horse and Hounds in Windsor on any August Bank Holiday in the last 5 years'. My love for England goes deep. NZ is, well, NZ Bro !
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

My "home" is the country which provides me with employment, protection, & a family. So despite my being born in the UK, the USA has provided me with all three of the above, so that is my home.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
My "home" is the country which provides me with employment, protection, & a family. So despite my being born in the UK, the USA has provided me with all three of the above, so that is my home.
You Sound Very Sane.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Persephone. NZ is home, England is home & where my parentals live (the house I was born & dragged up in) is also home. Definitely all in the context of the conversation.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:17 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I get you.
Glad someone does
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm with Persephone. NZ is home, England is home & where my parentals live (the house I was born & dragged up in) is also home. Definitely all in the context of the conversation.
Good to see you back VBS
Yes home has always been where I was brought up and where my parents still live. I always called the North East home even when I moved around the UK to live. When I lived in the South if anyone asked where I came from I would always say ' County Durham but I live in London or wherever' . Never seemed right to say home was London or Bristol or even that southern stronghold Hull Suspect the accent may have given it away as well....
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

I reckon it took me 2yrs to finally realize nz was my home. I am from Scotland and will always be a proud scot, never a kiwi, but nz is certainly home now....thankfully!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Home is where the heart and also the soul lays. For some that can be transient I suppose .
For me , it is about the places and the people I love. Where I get a lift. Where I feel glad . Where my heart and soul swells.

Home is Bournemouth. Home is also where I live with Mr BEVS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.